Author Topic: sawtooth cpu upgrade  (Read 5835 times)

supernova777

sawtooth cpu upgrade
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:03:08 PM »
with my recent difficulty with the built in audio ports on my 1.25ghz mdd.
i plan on testing the audio output from my other powermacs that feature built in audio ports
-dual 867 mdd
-sawtooth 450mhz
-b&W 450mhz

hopefully the sawtooths built in ports will not have this hum that appears if u push the gain too high
that is always associated with poor quality + older consumer level pci based sound cards

in the event that my sawtooth wins the built in port hum comparison
i would love to get some type of cpu upgrade
i had a chance earlier this year to get a sawtooth that was already upgraded for free
but i totally forgot about picking it up frm the guy.. (doh!)
kickin myself for that..

i know this has been discussed before.. topics like putting a quicksilver cpu into a sawtooth..
but what would be my best option?
availability is definately the biggest factor.. as less people are bothering to list these things for sale
due to the fact theres not much money to be made and if they do they list for prices of 100$+

any suggestions on which cpu to put into my sawtooth would be appreciated
what would u do if it was your sawtooth?? :D

i was thinking i coudl take the 933mhz cpu from my quicksilver and do the mod to put it into my sawtooth but
im kind of aprehensive to screw up 2 perfectly good working machines at the same time :D lol

supernova777

Re: sawtooth cpu upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:39:12 PM »
or maybe i should just buy a digi 002 or 24MIX and forget about PTFree;)
but the reason for my interest is to test + to be able to contribute to getting things sorted also for ptfree on the site here at the same time..

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: sawtooth cpu upgrade
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 04:22:50 AM »
with my recent difficulty with the built in audio ports on my 1.25ghz mdd.
i plan on testing the audio output from my other powermacs that feature built in audio ports
-dual 867 mdd
-sawtooth 450mhz
-b&W 450mhz

hopefully the sawtooths built in ports will not have this hum that appears if u push the gain too high
that is always associated with poor quality + older consumer level pci based sound cards

in the event that my sawtooth wins the built in port hum comparison
i would love to get some type of cpu upgrade
i had a chance earlier this year to get a sawtooth that was already upgraded for free
but i totally forgot about picking it up frm the guy.. (doh!)
kickin myself for that..

i know this has been discussed before.. topics like putting a quicksilver cpu into a sawtooth..
but what would be my best option?
availability is definately the biggest factor.. as less people are bothering to list these things for sale
due to the fact theres not much money to be made and if they do they list for prices of 100$+

any suggestions on which cpu to put into my sawtooth would be appreciated
what would u do if it was your sawtooth?? :D

i was thinking i coudl take the 933mhz cpu from my quicksilver and do the mod to put it into my sawtooth but
im kind of aprehensive to screw up 2 perfectly good working machines at the same time :D lol

Despite the power mod, don't forget that CPUs from 133 bus systems runs slower in Sawtooth (100 Mhz bus), only the overclock can solve this, but...

Just for the record, Sawtooth audio input is compatible with Apple PlainTalk mics. There is a PlainTalk mic mod to accept any kind mic, ie the PlainTalk work as preamp only.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/plaintalk_mic_conversion/plaintalk_mic_conversion.html
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:51:41 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:21:26 AM by chrisNova777 »