Author Topic: Anyone else using TDM hardware with Logic Pro 6.4.3?  (Read 13915 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Anyone else using TDM hardware with Logic Pro 6.4.3?
« on: September 19, 2014, 12:47:50 AM »
BT perhaps?

Im having a hard time configuring it to be honest. The DAE-based audio objects only support TDM plugins, so I can't use any VSTi's or host-based plugins at all with them.
This takes away pretty much the whole reason why I wanted Logic on the main studio machine.

Any ideas how to solve this issue? Can I have DAE and Direct-TDM in use at the same time?
Because objects (audio instruments) using the Direct-TDM can have VSTi's as inserts, but I don't get any sound from them :(

Thanks!
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

supernova777

Re: Anyone else using TDM hardware with Logic Pro 6.4.3?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:05:17 AM »
cant u use a wrapper? to convert VST to RTAS? oh wait this is logic DUHH:) lol

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 01:13:42 AM »
Only TDM plugins are supported by Logic when using TDM hardware. Digi did never open up the RTAS standard :(
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:31:26 AM »
Solved this temporarily by using the Direct I/O driver in Logic. Will investigate further, or wait for BT who might have something to say on the matter :)

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »
i find it harder to use logic then cubase thats for sure
things are alot easier to find for me in cubase..
i really think thats why so many people prefer cubase because its easy
logic confuses the hell out of me..
many things are confusing at first.. but not so once u are familiar..
learning new software can always be a challenge
but i like a good challenge..

im trying to learn.. but the menu structure + driver settings dialogs always make me disoriented abit
in comparison to cubase

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »
I hated Logic back in the 4.x days and went the Cubase route all the way to Cubase SX 1. After that I tried Logic once again and actually read the documentation instead of swear and curse it. Since then I'v been a Logic user in some way.

The most confusing thing about Logic is the tracks and it's relation to the "Environment" and it's objects. Once you learn this you unlock the awesome power of Logic. This is at least how I felt about it :)

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 04:49:55 PM »
Hey guys just saw this. Basically this yields a really unstable system (not to mention confusing with Direct I/O and output M/S l/R) configuring. I never had a stable system to do this on. What I did back in the day was run VST's on a seperate computer and had an autoload on both w/Midi and audio in/outs. This worked a treat. The whole draw to OS9 Logic 6.43 PT24 is not VST/VSTi it's destructive RTAS editing (premier too to a lesser extent). I use this system today, everyday.

If the goal is VST my recommend is set up a dedicated rig. Honestly there are such better softsynths now I'd do this on a modern computer (I do!). Again for me Logic 6.43/OS9 is the absolute sweet spot for destructive editing. Any computer system PC/Linux/Mac any OS and any DAW can't hold a candle to the speed and ease/joy of use on my OS9 rig for this!

Happy OS9ing!
_BT

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 12:42:45 PM »
The whole draw to OS9 Logic 6.43 PT24 is not VST/VSTi it's destructive RTAS editing (premier too to a lesser extent). I use this system today, everyday.

I guess he means AudioSuite. LE users have to go PT and make a session to make AudioSuite.
https://audiotuts.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2010/02/27/audiosuite-what-rtas-who-the-protools-plug-in-mystery-solved/

If you work directly in PT, AudioSuite is onboard. But working with MIDI, PT sucks. More when compared to Logic 5/6
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »

If the goal is VST my recommend is set up a dedicated rig. Honestly there are such better softsynths now I'd do this on a modern computer (I do!). Again for me Logic 6.43/OS9 is the absolute sweet spot for destructive editing. Any computer system PC/Linux/Mac any OS and any DAW can't hold a candle to the speed and ease/joy of use on my OS9 rig for this!

Happy OS9ing!
_BT

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ8ZzKck1Os[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcx6KVtpb_0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG3pXDOofaY[/youtube]

During that footage I was using 5 or 6 888 24's (Can't remember how many now, but way too many). I hated those things. You had to calibrate everything with eyeglasses screwdrivers. Do not miss them! Anyway, in terms of sound I've come to prefer the slight grit of the 1622's. All my current rigs I use those (Current OS9 rigs).

To answer the question of balancing PT and Logic, I don't use PT. I use PT hardware in OS9 on Logic 6.4.3 so I can do hardcore destructive editing as audiosuite, within logic. It's the most powerful rig I have ever had.

I've got one of those new black trashcans (which although looking cool) is fairly uninspiring. I do love Kontakt for film composition and shortly after that video was made I set up a blade server (8PC's) to write strings, brass etc for films (each computer was a different "instrument"). Glad those days are over too.

OS9 for me is the ultimately inspiring environment. Wether I am doing destructive editing in Logic, Thonking things, Chunk Mungering, Sonik Worx(ing) things, I am never bored.

I often think in the same way analog synths peaked prior to surface mounted boards (Pre-say 86'), computers peaked in terms of an open ended ideology and aesthetic that encouraged and inspired Sound Design (in about 95-96).

Funnily many of my EDM friends and even fellow film composers that watch me work on my OS9 rigs start by scratching their heads saying "wow that looks old and cheesy" to "holy shit, I can't do any of that on my modern computers". This look happens over the course of about an hour. Then most go home and start putting together an OS9 rig. True Story.

Anyway, this place is awesome. Great to be here, thanks for having me.
_BT
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 04:40:10 AM »
The process itself is described here:

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/tdmguide/index.html#chapter=3%26section=0%26tasks=true

As it says:

Logic Pro allows you to use both your TDM system DSPs and the computer’s native CPU processing resources. The link between the DSP world of your TDM system and your computer’s native CPU processing resources is ESB TDM.

ESB TDM uses your computer CPU to process one audio engine (Direct TDM), and the DSP of the TDM hardware to process another (DAE). This is done by using two different mixers in Logic Pro. The TDM Mixer uses the DAE to process TDM plug-ins. The DTDM Mixer uses the computer CPU (Direct TDM) to process Logic Studio and Audio Units plug-ins.

Up to eight DTDM Mixer outputs can be configured as ESB TDM outputs, which can be routed in to the TDM Mixer. The DTDM Mixer outputs (ESB TDM outs) are received by the ESB TDM inputs—which are available as sources in the input slot pop-up menus of TDM Mixer aux channel strips.

This enables all Logic tracks, Logic Studio plug-ins, and Audio Units plug-ins—including software instruments—to be used in conjunction with your TDM system DSPs.

I will give this a shot when I finish with my MDD and TDM rig build.

I've managed to grab a hold of another Mix Core card and have 5 Mix Farms, as well as two Samplecell II TDMs and the Korg Oasys PCI.

Just need to find some time to sort it all out in the PCI chassis and also plug in the new SSD and HDD drives.

Ah, well... getting there! 8)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 04:46:37 AM »
That manual is for Logic Pro 9. What I can work out, it does not work like this in Logic 6.4.3. I'll try it again and hope Im wrong ;)

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 04:49:29 AM »
I know that's the Logic 9 manual but ESB is exactly the same in the later versions as it is in 6.4.3.
It did stop working after Protools 8.03 after Avid pulled the plug on Apple having a leg up on TDM but that's a different story. :)

- You do indeed need to enable DirectTDM and DAE at the same time.

- You will set up two mixers in the environment, one for DirectTDM and one for DAE.
- You set up to 8 outputs from the DirectTDM mixer to be ESB TDM outputs.
- In the DAE mixer, you setup the ESB TDM Inputs as Mixer AUX strips.

It's a bit of hassle to set up the first time but once the mixers are all sorted out in the Audio Environment window and you save this as your Autoload you are off to the races...

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 04:58:31 AM »
Ignore the bits about Logic 7 and CoreAudio from this guide and you will probably be able to succeed as it really does explain all the steps much better than the awful manual:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=254

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 08:49:06 AM »
Hey Knezzen,

I got this one working in the end. I can post my Autoload file if you want it?

Either way, the quick explanation is:

- First set up Logic with DAE only. Set up your audio environment to test (tracks, auxes, etc).
- Now add DTDM to the mix.
- Add your preferred number of extra audio objects (tracks, instruments, auxes, etc) to the audio environment. Instead of choosing DAE, you will choose DTDM as the hardware for those.
- Choose "ESB" in the insert of up to 8 DAE AUX channels, and configure to taste outputs-wise.
- You will then be able to send native logic tracks and instruments over to the TDM mixer by just routing them to the relevant DTDM outputs.
- Enjoy!

Big credit to Enabler on this. And, yes, you can use up to 12 stereo EXS24s straight on TDM AUX channels as well as he mentioned.

My key says I am authorised for EPIC and ES1 TDM as well. I will try EPIC tonight, again thanks to Enabler's help for that.

Not sure what package ES1 TDM was part of if any?

Anyway, guys, let me know if I can help and give something back!

Offline Trace-Elliot

• Enthusiast Member
  • brand new member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 09:25:59 AM »
i want to run the exs24  and evp88 on tdm hardware with pro tools - never succesfull  :(
tons of Digidesign Hardware and historic apple maschines .... based in germany ...

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »
i want to run the exs24  and evp88 on tdm hardware with pro tools - never succesfull  :(

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=673.msg15537#msg15537

Here is all you need to get it working!
Have fun
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.