Author Topic: Magneto optical drive 640 MB only recognizes 128 MB disks  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
Magneto optical drive 640 MB only recognizes 128 MB disks
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:31:08 AM »
Let´s go with another question/mystery to me:

Recently, I got a Fujitsu MCF3064SS MO drive, and installed it into the AKAI S3000XL sampler. I took of the floppy drive, and the MO drive is now in the place of the floppy.

I expected to use 640 MB disks, formatted 512 MB (AKAI format limit) but I had no luck. Drive is recognized by the AKAI, but it only works with 128 MB disks.  I thought that maybe there was a limit in the AKAI design so it won´t manage higher disks. So I tried with the mac to see what happens.

SCSI chain is:   

Mac is 0
Fujitsu mo is 4
Zip drive (external) is 5
AKAI itself is 6

So, no ID conflicts :)

The Mac sees all the units (SCSI probe shows them), but with the Mac I can only load another 128 MB disk (this one is mac formatted).

Any idea?  The unit is clealy up to 640 MB disk capable...

Fujistu mo info: http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fcpa/mo/discontinued/mcf3064ss_install-guide.pdf

Addition: 230mb and 640mb disks are ok; they works like a charm on other mo drive (ide) that I have connected to the mac via ide-usb adapter.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:02:01 AM by Irisman »

supernova777

Re: Magneto optical drive 640 MB only recognizes 128 MB disks
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »
i never saw this thread.. and ive never heard of these magnetic opttical discs??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneto-optical_drive

A magneto-optical drive is a kind of optical disc drive capable of writing and rewriting data upon a magneto-optical disc. Both 130 mm (5.25 in) and 90 mm (3.5 in) form factors exist. The technology was introduced commercially in 1985.[1] Although optical, they appear as hard disk drives to the operating system and can be formatted with any filesystem. Magneto optical drives are common in some countries, such as Japan because of the success of the Sony MiniDisc,[citation needed] but have fallen into disuse in other countries.

interesting

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Magneto optical drive 640 MB only recognizes 128 MB disks
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »
maybe simply because it is not a harddisk but a removable media?
insert arbitrary signature here