Author Topic: Changing extension load order  (Read 15166 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Changing extension load order
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
I upgraded my machine with a Sonnet CPU and the extension it installed is the very first one that's loaded. That's because they put a space in front of _Sonnet to get it to load first (replace the underscore with a space and you'll see what I mean). Extensions load in alphabetical order.

I also have a MOTU driver inside a folder called MOTU in the extensions folder. The driver itself is called "PCI - 324 Driver" with no space in front of it. However, even so, it loads in 1st place anyway. I don't see how this can be loading first because it starts with a P.

How can I get the PCI - 324 extension to load after the Sonnet extension? There's something forcing it to load first.

I think since the PCI MOTU driver is loading first that it's not getting that Sonnet CPU goodness and it's causing freezing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:29:35 PM by Syntho »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Changing extension load order
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:06:14 AM »
I don't know much about programming but it's looking like I'm going to have to hack this driver, or the Sonnet driver manually. I was told that in the resource fork of the driver they used a non-printable character to get it to load first.

I don't know anything about hacking or programming but I've used ResEdit and Hex editors before. I think I'd rather edit the Sonnet extension and input non-printable characters on it to get that one to load first instead of messing with the PCI 324 driver.

Anyone know how to do this?

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:15:21 AM »
not i, but it sounds like u are movin in the right direction

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »
If anyone is curious, here are the drivers. I don't know if you'll experience what I'm experiencing, but I get freezing as soon as both drivers are loaded, so be careful.

I think we've got a better chance of fooling with the Sonnet driver and adding something to that one to get it to load first rather than fooling with the PCI 324 driver.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »
Moving the MOTU driver to the System Folder, renaming it, and creating an alias and dropping that into the Extensions folder all don't work. Now that I think of it, the driver isn't even showing up in the Extensions Manager.

Don't tell me I've got to buy another CPU upgrade....

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:12:06 AM »
If anyone is curious, here are the drivers. I don't know if you'll experience what I'm experiencing, but I get freezing as soon as both drivers are loaded, so be careful.

I think we've got a better chance of fooling with the Sonnet driver and adding something to that one to get it to load first rather than fooling with the PCI 324 driver.
someone would have to have both the same cpu upgrade as u and the motu pci 324 card.. not to mention needing an old world mac..
which lowers the chance that someone here would be able to easily be able to replicate what u are experiencing..
maybe mactron has a motu card? i dont think ive ever heard him discuss what audio io he uses

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
Moving the MOTU driver to the System Folder, renaming it, and creating an alias and dropping that into the Extensions folder all don't work. Now that I think of it, the driver isn't even showing up in the Extensions Manager.

Don't tell me I've got to buy another CPU upgrade....

why dont u just use your pro tools hardware instead of the motu card. problem solved.
maybe u need some audio interface from 1997-1998
like a korg 1212, sonorus studi/o,audiomedia III, pro tools 24 mix

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »
If someone would drop in those extensions they'd see them loading in order, the 324 first and then the Sonnet, you don't have to have the hardware.

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
id try posting on macintoshgarden, 68kmla, applefritter etc
on the topic of forcing extension load order
 etc

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4SRzOV9FezgJ:glinda.680x0.com/~ulterior/68kmla/forums/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D15%26t%3D20831+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

maybe they use the same character listed here in this thread and u can use one before that for the sonnet
i wouldnt say u are screwed.. just challenged;)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »
The driver isn't a moveable/reorderable driver in Conflict Catcher, tried this hours ago.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 11:23:36 PM »
but as far i know, things should really load in alphabetical order.

maybe there is something what interrupts the alphabetical order? (do you use startupdoubler or stuff like that?)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 11:27:58 PM »
I don't.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 04:07:08 AM »
edit: note to self: first read, then answer.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »
maybe mactron has a motu card?
No I haven't. So little to nothing chance to help.

... but there is something weird in "PCI - 324 Driver" file because technically is a Shared Library (shlb) not a INIT (that's why you can't change the loading order and why it is not  showing up in the Extensions Manager) so I guess that must be something more... a control panel may be?
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »
How would I change it from a shared library to something else, and is it safe to do that?

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »
i dunno why its a big deal. just call up motu - they wrote the fucking driver they will help u
stop fumbling around in the dark and just email motu technical support

what are the file names of the extensions
cant u just follow the directions of the last thread i linked and put a bullet character on the sonnet driver extension (put a shift option 8 character in first letter of the extension for the sonnet )

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 05:34:06 PM »
MOTU said they can't help me.

So how'd you go about changing it Mactron? Any advice is appreciated.

supernova777

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »
have u tried finding an earlier version of the pci-324 driver?
whats the Date + info + file name 
give us someting to go on here

dont buy another cpu..
thats just stupid
if anything just USE A DIFFERENT AUDIO INTERFACE IN THE 9600.
if u want an easy fix, why dont u just use your pro tools hardware in teh 9600? i thought thats why u got a 9600 to begin with
to have more pci slots for tdm?

have u checked the ascii lookup table?

why dont u just copy the resource fork from the sonnet to the pci-324
and the pci-324 to the sonnet?
literally cut + paste all the hex code from the resource forks and switch em
back em up first tho obviously

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »

i dont think you can convert a library to an init so easily, at least not without disassembling and recompiling.

it might be possible to convert libraries to shared libraries somehow, but system extensions such as init, app, thng, comd, ndrv, scri are all deeply compiled stuff.

one would think that a control panel would have been the best option for such an driver, as they can do all at once: patching the system, killing traps, providing a library, running from startup only while still offering the user to change spome settings after the boot. but from what i know it is not possible to have any kind of "translation" in a cdev, which is required for audio IO, printers and the like.

say is the sonnet software really needed to use the processor card in classic OS?