Author Topic: using opcode vision with usb midi devices  (Read 4866 times)

Offline John

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
using opcode vision with usb midi devices
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
I have Studio Vision 4.2 and a Mac “Quicksilver” G4 PPC.  I’ve read Studio Vision Pro can run on 9.2 even though it was originally intended for 8.6.  I can start Studio Vision 4.2 on my Quicksilver G4 & see it on the screen but don’t know how to get MIDI in and out of it because Vision shows Serial Ports for output & the G4 has USB ports.  I’ve read about people running Studio Vision on Mac G4s and other computers that have USB instead of the older Serial Ports.  Does anyone know how to get MIDI in & out of Studio Vision on a computer with USB Ports.   I’ve read Studio Vision can send MIDI In/Out thru a USB MIDIsport interface.  How does that happen?  Does OMS convert Vision’s Serial Port output to USB or is it the specific Interface drivers?  Anyone know anything about this?

I have a few hundred Vision sequences I created in the early 90s including a couple of books on standard drum rhythms.  I own other music software but nothing comes close to the way Vision can rearrange patterns, & place patterns in patterns in patterns etc.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:20:24 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

Re: using opcode vision with usb midi devices
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »
hi john..

theres two ways u can go with this.. acutally 3

1)serial - u can add a physical serial port.. via a serial model addoncard (or pci adapter)+ then a serial cable + a serial midi i/o

2) USB -  u can buy any compatible usb midi device

3) USB serial - u can also buy a usb device that adds a serial port that u can then connect with a cable to a serial midi interface (thereby converting the serial device to usb bascally)(keyspan usa-28)

all the info is here if u look!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:35:14 AM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

Re: using opcode vision with usb midi devices
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
I have Studio Vision 4.2 and a Mac “Quicksilver” G4 PPC.  I’ve read Studio Vision Pro can run on 9.2 even though it was originally intended for 8.6.  I can start Studio Vision 4.2 on my Quicksilver G4 & see it on the screen but don’t know how to get MIDI in and out of it because Vision shows Serial Ports for output & the G4 has USB ports.  I’ve read about people running Studio Vision on Mac G4s and other computers that have USB instead of the older Serial Ports.  Does anyone know how to get MIDI in & out of Studio Vision on a computer with USB Ports.   I’ve read Studio Vision can send MIDI In/Out thru a USB MIDIsport interface.  How does that happen?  Does OMS convert Vision’s Serial Port output to USB or is it the specific Interface drivers?  Anyone know anything about this?

I have a few hundred Vision sequences I created in the early 90s including a couple of books on standard drum rhythms.  I own other music software but nothing comes close to the way Vision can rearrange patterns, & place patterns in patterns in patterns etc.

oms is called oms for a reason!
open music system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Music_System
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_articles/oct96/applenotesoct96.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug02/articles/omsworkshop.asp

yes oms supports usb midi devices.. alot of them
while it says serial or modem or printer port in the software u can just think of this as
going to "OMS" and what happens after that point.. u can decide.. in your oms studio configuration document
as long as u have an oms driver for usb midi interface you are good... and this is really the 'driver' that u would
download for whatever midi interface u have... for example i have an edirol pcr- keyboard.. edirol provides
an oms driver for the keyboard and.. a freemidi driver.. u dont use both drivers.. u use whichever driver corresponds to
which midi management program u are using... so install the oms driver for the usb midi device.. and then configure it in oms
and then u are good to launch vision... oms will take care of the funky stuff behind the scenes, making your device accessible to the application