Author Topic: Should I select Journaled?  (Read 12020 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Should I select Journaled?
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
I don't know when Journaling was introduced, but I read somewhere to not journal an SSD drive. Was the journaling feature introduced in OS9 or OSX? I'm asking because I don't see that feature for Mac OS8.6. I need to format this SSD and want to make sure.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Should I select Journaled?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »
OSX. and i would say better turn it generally off.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:16:28 AM »
maybe you should also try to reset PRAM after doing so many changes to your drives.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:24:14 AM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:52:47 AM by IIO »

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:29:35 AM »
havent read what u guys wrote here yet but
this topic was covered november of last year
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=305.msg542#msg542

and again by me, in beginning of summer
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1148.msg4359#msg4359

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:36:40 AM »
Son of a.... I fixed the problem. The guy I bought it from jammed a jumper into the very left side of the Zip drive between the first row of pins and the plastic on the side. As soon as I took that out and put it on the actual termination pins, it's working fine.

By the way guys, when using a SATA controller in a PCI slot, is it normal to boot up and see the floppy disk icon for a second or two, then the smiley face?

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:55:34 AM »
By the way guys, when using a SATA controller in a PCI slot, is it normal to boot up and see the floppy disk icon for a second or two, then the smiley face?

yes ive seen this before.. its because the actual card that injects the code that makes it work kind of like forcing a handshake..
from the rom chip of the pci card... thats why the mac cards are more rare and how come pc cards can be programmed to be mac cards (with a bit of effort + hardware modification to make the rom chip big enough to hold the extra code)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:21:46 AM »
So it does that on yours too? I'm running OS8.6 so I was wondering if it also did it on OS9. Or if it's supposed to do it at all.

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 04:48:03 AM »
So it does that on yours too? I'm running OS8.6 so I was wondering if it also did it on OS9. Or if it's supposed to do it at all.

i can test on 8.6 if i do a wipe install on my B&W G3 450mhz.. i plan on reverting that system to os8.6 and running older versions just for the hell of it .. for experience sake once i get a copy of 8.6 i dont have one as of yet. ;) but thats easily rectified:) but yes.. im pretty sure i see the disk icon but it doesnt last but 1-2 seconds before changing to the mac logo..

which card did u get
u must have just got it?
its a nice speed improvement to use a more modern disk technology..
(sata2,sata3,ssd etc)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 05:12:37 AM »
After learning how incredibly LOUD that stock 4GB SCSI drive was, and also seeing how slow it was, I bit the bullet and got a Sonnet Tempo SATA card. MUCH faster. I'm curious to do a speed comparison from my last chart I posted, but I'm gonna wait to get my 500mhz CPU and post the test there =)

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 05:34:10 AM »
sucks about the price but it will definately come in handy and is compatible with pretty much any mac u have

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 11:56:12 AM »

not at all.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 01:17:07 PM »
So I SHOULDN'T be seeing it?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 01:41:47 PM »
of course not. one should only see the currently selected boot volume as noted in the PRAM there - or an alternative boot volume if the selected one can not be found, or a question mark when there is no boot folder.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »
but maybe this is not releated to the actual floppy drive but only a wrong icon? not possible o check that without looking into the PRAM. :)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 02:56:07 AM »
Somehow the disk icon isn't there anymore. However a new problem has been introduced. Every single time I shut down and boot up, it gives me, "your computer didn't shut down correctly...". BS!

What could be causing this?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 06:54:46 AM »
There seems to be yet another problem. If I boot System 7 or OS8.5, my monitor won't come on at all. It's not until I physically unplug the computer and plug it back in that the video card starts working. OS8.6 doesn't have that problem.

Do I have a bad PRAM battery or something? I tried taking it out and putting it back in and also clearing out the CUDA thing but to no avail. Maybe I should get a new battery. And maybe that's why it keeps telling me that the damn thing didn't shut down properly, even though it does.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »
i think you are not nice enough to her. do you must treat her like princess if you want her to function. one wrong word or one wrong gesture can destroy everything.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 09:22:22 AM »
For all of you who have SATA controllers in your Macs, when you shut down, do you find that you get that the "you didn't shut down properly" message and a scan? I'm 100% certain it's because of the SATA card/drive. The SCSI drive I have doesn't do it. Maybe it's because I'm running it on a 9600 and somehow it's not getting a proper shutdown message like a SCSI drive would. I wouldn't think a newer G4 would do that. I tried this in System 7, OS8, and OS9 on the 9600 and they all give me the same thing.

For now I just disabled the shutdown error message in the General thing from the Apple menu and all is well. I'm still curious if there's a fix for this though.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »

the SATA card alone wont cause this.

but i remember a period in OS7 times when i also got this regulary. oen of the reasons why you see this message can be that certain programs did not quit properly. eventually try deleting finder prefs, but i am just guessing here.

in mac OS9 i have not had this in the last 14 years. simply because you can just turn the warning off.