Author Topic: Use Pro Tools LE without Digidesign hardware?  (Read 11809 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Use Pro Tools LE without Digidesign hardware?
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:09:13 AM »
How do I do this? I would like to run LE instead of FREE on the PowerBook, so I can get some work done on the road.

Anyone know if this is possible to do?
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Use Pro Tools LE without Digidesign hardware?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:37:39 AM »
note before v.8 (cracked) or v.9 (digidesign). you would have to write your own driver to get there.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »
The key is on the oakblog page about protools 3.4 It used the powermix engine, that means that any power mac could run 8-16 tracks with the cpu instead of using the power chip fpga included on every protools system.
It talks clearly about the pairs of files that had to be used for protools to run. I think (from memory) that they are D.A.E. (DIGIDESIGN AUDIO ENGINE) and D.S.I. . The version of one file need the other to be another version... That is why I asked on the Extensions sticky post to mention the DAE and DSI version numbers used.
Back to protools 5, we should look on the differences of those files in the LE version and on the Free version.  Also, the version number of LE and Free are not close... Protools Le 5.1.1 was the first for 001...(?) I am not sure, but I think free had limited functionality in plugs supported. And the number of tracks was only 8. On the windows side the free version was hacked to have open the plugs limitation and the tracks limits. These thing maybe some resedit magician can unlock to be more than 8. I dunno.
Other thing is to hack Le to work without Le hardware. Only on protools 3 is possible to do. With the powermix extension.
My dream is to hack TDM to use LE hardware, just for the keyboard focus mode...
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »
note before v.8 (cracked) or v.9 (digidesign). you would have to write your own driver to get there.

there is no 5.8 or 5.9 versions of protools.. so are u talking about 8.x or 9.x versions? these versions are for leopard + snow leopard... so this comment is ridiculous ... he mentioned a g3 powerbook LOL
i dont think this will be running 10.5. or 10.6 anytime soon.. IIO why do u always post the most useless comments lol

im pretty sure knez is talking about mac os 9...  iit may be possible to run osx panther on a powerbook g3 + use pro tools 6, but even still that would obviously require pro tools hardware (such as an mbox) and isnt what knez is asking about as im quite sure he would be techically capable of getting this set up together on his own given his extensive experience + knowledge
(if anyone is interested in that tho here is some info http://eshop.macsales.com/Descriptions/mbox_macosx.html)

but seriously knez.. for the powerbook g3.. why not just buy a cheap mbox and use pt LE 5.2.1
u can get one for like 20-30$ used these days ..  the info on that mbox link i just posted talks of it only being supported on g4+ laptops but i think that info is re: pt6 not re: mbox.. http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/os9/sw/macos52le.html i dont think any site is going to list powerbook g3 as a supported machine for pt 5?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_G3 is it a wallstreet? a pismo?
i was wrong! http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/os9/mbox/ look powerbook g3 is listed as supported for mbox on os9!

Supported CPU Models, Speeds & Requirements
Mbox is supported on all Macintosh computers that shipped with a built in USB port.
Laptop
    All Pre-2003 PowerBook G4 *
    PowerBook G3
    iBook

so id say.. why run a hack 3.x or 4.x powermix mode when u can buy an mbox for the cost of a lunch out...
and run LE 5.2.1

The key is on the oakblog page about protools 3.4 It used the powermix engine, that means that any power mac could run 8-16 tracks with the cpu instead of using the power chip fpga included on every protools system.
It talks clearly about the pairs of files that had to be used for protools to run. I think (from memory) that they are D.A.E. (DIGIDESIGN AUDIO ENGINE) and D.S.I. . The version of one file need the other to be another version... That is why I asked on the Extensions sticky post to mention the DAE and DSI version numbers used.
Back to protools 5, we should look on the differences of those files in the LE version and on the Free version.

you mean rescompare? (this is a topic i had wanted to bring up... ) hex edit compare? or file version compare?

Also, the version number of LE and Free are not close... Protools Le 5.1.1 was the first for 001...(?)

first for what?? my digi 001 came with LE 5.01.. do u mean 5.1.1 brought more plugin compatibility?

I am not sure, but I think free had limited functionality in plugs supported. And the number of tracks was only 8. On the windows side the free version was hacked to have open the plugs limitation and the tracks limits. These thing maybe some resedit magician can unlock to be more than 8. I dunno.

yes this is only in the zone release for win9x operating system.
code that was in place to block the bomb factory plugins + antares plugins (among others) was removed. i  read the nfo file for this just last nite.  http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=207.0

perhaps theres a crack possible or already made that would do this for the mac os 9 version of pt free 5.01

i know that comparing the pc version to the mac version is how lokki was able to crack live 4.14
perhaps the right person could pull this off by comparing code from ptfree pc to ptfree mac?
longshot.. i know LOL

perhaps its possible to run pro tools 4.x with the same powermix mode?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:40:54 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:45:27 PM »
i also found this quote just now which may be of some solace, i know u are using 5.1.3 tdm

PT TDM v5.1 (or later) are directly compatible with sessions created with PT LE 5.2.1.
source: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=24180 quoted from Avid Audio Tech Support

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 12:19:04 AM »
It's the last officially OS9-booting PowerBook. A PowerBook G4 "Titanium" 1ghz with 1gb RAM.
And I would like to have it portable in the the same way modern systems are, without external hardware. It would be wonderful to be able to take the machine on the road and do some mix or editing work, or do some smaller editing with customers on meetings.

Im not interested in running OSX on this machine, It's purely a OS9 machine. I want session compatibility with the PT 5.1.3 system in the studio, so PT LE 5.2.1 sounds like the way to go :)

Getting an M-Box is the last path I want to go down. The best thing would be getting it to run on it's own, since I don't need any inputs, just outputs on this system.

I feel like I have to try PowerMix with Pro Tools TDM 5.1.3. Would be great if I could get it running!
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:28:03 AM »
Getting an M-Box is the last path I want to go down. The best thing would be getting it to run on it's own, since I don't need any inputs, just outputs on this system.

well, question is.. do u want to be a hacker? or a mix engineer? hehe if u have the time + energy i say both;)  but mbox could definately be less troublesome approach.

I feel like I have to try PowerMix with Pro Tools TDM 5.1.3. Would be great if I could get it running!

sure this would be a great accomplishment.. at first u think it cant be possible.. but maybe noone has ever tried?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 01:10:57 AM »
sure this would be a great accomplishment.. at first u think it cant be possible.. but maybe noone has ever tried?

Probably noone tried it. I like stuff like this. I got flash and youtube working under OS9 a couple of years ago by editing some stuff in the flash plugin using ResEdit. I hope that PowerMix requires something simple like that as well.

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 01:32:03 AM »
Back to protools 5, we should look on the differences of those files in the LE version and on the Free version.  Also, the version number of LE and Free are not close... Protools Le 5.1.1 was the first for 001...(?) I am not sure, but I think free had limited functionality in plugs supported. And the number of tracks was only 8. On the windows side the free version was hacked to have open the plugs limitation and the tracks limits. These thing maybe some resedit magician can unlock to be more than 8. I dunno.
Other thing is to hack Le to work without Le hardware. Only on protools 3 is possible to do. With the powermix extension.
My dream is to hack TDM to use LE hardware, just for the keyboard focus mode...

i think u are thinking of Pro Tools LE 5.01
i have the original cd it came with my digi 001.. the 5.1.1 was a *paid* upgrade from 5.01
and it enabled the use of alot of other plugins that were programmed to require 5.1.1