Author Topic: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.  (Read 76396 times)

supernova777

Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
ive just confirmed that Disk Copy 6.5b13 requires Mac Os 9.1 or later
with this in mind..

this means that anyone using a version prior is limited to 2GB restore images
and using the lower version of ASR + its "Scan Image for ASR" script

supernova777

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
ive begun work on creating a restore disc for the 450mhz b&w g3s... focusing on keeping software to highly compatible versions, from very early 2000 but mostly spring-fall 1999 versions of apps
with the base os coming directly from a software restore of the original os bundled with the machine

***Disk Copy 6.4 appears to be compatible with Mac os 8.6
***Stuffit Deluxe 7.0.3 also appears to be compatible with Mac os 8.6

maybe we should have a 8.6 sub forum area to keep all 8.6 info together instead of scattered all over
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:04:09 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »
just did my first successfull ASR restore with ASR 1.3.2 package (under 2gb)  :-* :-* :-*
i had no idea that drive setup could partition drives!! hell ya!!!!

my install consisted mainly of cubase 4.1r1, reason 1.01, live 1.01 + logic 4.81 running on mac os 8.6
size was around 1.2gb (mostly due to the reason soundbank neccessary for loading with one click.)
could have been half that if i omitted the sndbank  :D

i decided to start from the lowest common denominator + work my way up ! onwards + upward!

this is wild  8) now i can partition my original drive with drivesetup. sweeeeet  :-*

its funny i actually found someones old pentium 4 computer they had put out on the street in front  of their
house while walking my dogs - so i picked it up and brought it home.. and have just used their 160gb + 80gb drives
i salvaged from the abandoned compaq.. so my volume names are "streetTrash" + "FoundOnCurb" ;D

also nabbed a dual layer Sony Burner... + a DVDROM and a wireless PCI card that seems to do ok now that ive patched it up with a new antenna
wonder if its airport compatible :)

the acard 6880M is working great for os 8.6!!!!!! nice + fast ata133 comperd to the g3's own ata-33
all i need is a g3port or stealth for b&W and this machine is totally maxxed out ;D
the B&W is a thing of beauty!

***reason1.01 losts it's authorization during the clone
everything else is perfect
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:10:31 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2014, 02:59:59 AM »
one other thing.. the startup disk control panel with version #9.2.3 that is packaged with "ASR for MacOSx 1.1"
do u think this control panel is compatible with other versions of mac os (9.1, 9.0, 8.6??) i had the thought
that maybe this control panel could be used to give other lower versions the ability to select different system folders
with a same partition...

does anyone know what added features it has over other versions? has anyone explored this yet?

supernova777

« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2014, 04:12:07 AM »
cubase 4.1r1 has lost its auth when installed to a partition that is not the "primary" first partition? at least thats what the cause looks like to me...
mactron, have u seen this happen? could it in anway because im using the older ASR?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »
one other thing.. the startup disk control panel with version #9.2.3 that is packaged with "ASR for MacOSx 1.1"
do u think this control panel is compatible with other versions of mac os (9.1, 9.0, 8.6??) i had the thought
that maybe this control panel could be used to give other lower versions the ability to select different system folders
with a same partition...

does anyone know what added features it has over other versions? has anyone explored this yet?

Yes I do. The startup disk control panel with version 9.2.3 adds the ability to select different system folders in to the same partition. In fact I use the 9.2.6 from MDD 9.2 in Mac Os 8.6 :)

Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2014, 12:35:30 AM »
Hi,

My main (OS) hd is starting to give up on me.  >:(
It's a volume/partition of 30GB. Is it possible to restore an image of that size with ASR?
I came as far as creating an image of the volume with diskcopy and applying the script.
ASR however refuses to restore the image because it's > 4gb.
Did I reach the limit of ASR or ?

Any help appreciated!

Greetz,
Arjen

Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

supernova777

« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »
arjen.. u want to move any non-system files that u can off of the drive first
and get it down to 4gb in size and then do the asr

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2014, 01:50:17 AM »
Thanks. Going to give it a try!
Greetz,
Arjen

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
ASR however refuses to restore the image because it's > 4gb.

Did you successfully applied the ASR script?

From 4GB to Infinity...
4GB image file size limit surpassed. Once the *new script* is applied ASR accept Image files over 4GB. Tested and confirmed.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2014, 04:02:05 AM »
Yes I did. But I am not sure if it's the new or old script. I downloaded http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1822.0 In the end ASR refused my 29 GB image.  ::)

However I "discovered" also an option in diskcopy wich I am testing as we speak: Utilities=> Clone.
And as far as I can tell.....this does the job too! Except for Spectrasonics VSTi's all disk authorizations seem to be preserved. ?!?

Greetz,
Arjen

supernova777

« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2015, 04:27:00 AM »
so i know its been awhile since we discussed this topic but
what was the largest size that was able to be realized by any member? pretty sure it was larger then 4gb? but was it larger then 8gb?

im reminded of this thread now because im doing a restore from a 5 cd set that came with the quicksikver 2002 933mhz model..
and the restore cd is using ASR..but with a segmented DMG file.. 
it shows the filename for each disc as ending with ".dmgpart"
as its restoring..

im pretty sure that this would be something we could do..
pretty sure this is what the "set UDIF segment size" script in the ASR package is for?
i just thought it would be really cool to have a spanned DVD or spanned CD restore disk set
for "instant daw" which would let anyone use normal 4gb size DVD-R media to realize a 8gb restore

there is a whole language to the config file for the ASR..
i vaguely remember reading something about it saying that the public was never intended to be able to make
segmented restores.. but i think its possible!

the installation of diehards instant daw for example. if it was larger then 4gb..
how did u guys go about installing it? using multiple hard drives im guessing?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:40:52 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2015, 11:13:41 PM »
I'm trying to make a new image of an install but it keeps telling me that my disk is full. Weird, I have 15GB left on it  :o

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
Man WTF is going on? I tried a few different versions of Disk Copy and it still gives me this weird "error -34". "The Disk Is Full" huh? I've got 15GB here, 30GB there, 80GB on another...

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2015, 08:01:52 PM »
Are the volumes formatted "Standard" or "Extended"... maybe you hit a different limit like number of files in a folder... or on root... etc.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
It's actually a 100% fresh install on a drive with a clean format and I have both standard and extended partitions that I'm trying to back up. Actually, the only thing I can muster at this point is that maybe it's because I'm doing this on a SCSI drive? I was used to doing this on OS installs that were on my SATA drive and I can't remember if I ever tried to back up a SCSI one. This is on my 9600 by the way.

Let me do some testing and I'll report back...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
Ok, I don't know what's going on but for some reason Disk Copy isn't calculating the correct size for the image. When I just tried it on another OS8.6 install drive, it correctly calculated the size (a little over 300mb or 300000K). However when I try doing that on my System 7 drive, which should be 170MB or 170000K, it calculates it at about 40000K or 40MB.

I switched it to a 320MB image file and it's working now. I'm just confused as to why it's doing that suddenly, it never did in the past. My OS8.6 drive is also on the same SCSI drive on a different partition so something funny is going on.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2015, 05:16:40 AM »
Are you using the latest diskcopy and ASR tools?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »

Offline hageir

• Enthusiast Member
  • 68000 & Z80s all day long
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2019, 06:24:16 AM »
I'm getting notorious 'round these parts for my infamous necro-bumping hehehe

I'm struggling with Opcode Vision 2.0.8 and it's "authorization disk" ('Vision 1 of 2.image') and I believe whoever ripped that image originally didn't manage to copy the "hidden" Master sector where these authorizations dwell.

I found this DiskCopy 5.5 which is a modified version; can duplicate Master disks as well.
https://peeplink.in/3f4094999411

Working in unison with Shrinkwrap (to convert images to DiskCopy 4.x image files)
you can successfully write Master images to floppy disks.

BUT the caveat is that the original rip/image has to contain the authorization (i.e. have 1 or 2 "install allows" on the floppy disk)