Author Topic: Mac OS 9 updates  (Read 2768 times)

Offline sheich

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Mac OS 9 updates
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and although I've worked with Mac OS 9 before, I've run into a little problem. While installing OS 9 on my original clamshell iBook, I've noticed that when I open any of the system updates (9.1, 9.2.1, 9.2.2) there is an option for "Mac OS Install" and one for "9.x.x Upgrade". Well, I managed to not see the "upgrade" shortcut the first time, so installed 9.1 with "Mac OS Install." The last two updates I used the "upgrade" app (after I saw it was there). Will this make a difference in how my system is updated? It seems like it shouldn't, as it installed fine and is now happily running 9.2.2., but why would they make two icons for installing the same update? This was a downloaded version, not on CD. If I select "Install" will it just overwrite my existing file system, or is the installer smart enough to realize you already have OS 9 installed and just want the update? Thanks!

-sheich

Offline filipetolhuizen

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Mac OS 9 updates
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
I guess it will only overwrite the entire folder when you choose a clean install. Otherwise it'll keep your preferences among with other stuff.