Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Mac CPU Upgrades

MDD 866 Mods

<< < (14/15) > >>

MacOS Plus:
  I presume the same bus speed mod is also possible on the Xserve Rev.1 motherboard - anyone have details for that?

Image.Material:
I'm not convinced the Xserve can have its FSB overclocked.

As far as i know, the original Xserve was introduced a couple months before the 2002 MDD, and the OEM hardware configurations ( SP and MP ) all had 133Mhz FSB.

MacTron:

--- Quote from: Image.Material on July 11, 2017, 03:40:48 AM ---I'm not convinced the Xserve can have its FSB overclocked.

--- End quote ---
It's not an overclocked bus.
There is two models of DDR xServe G4:

A) A 133 Mhz System bus and ATA 100 Hard disk Interfaces and FW400.
B) A 166 Mhz System bus and ATA 133 Hard disk Interfaces and FW800.

But the FSB can be overclocked from 166Mhz to 172 Mhz.
Probably both procedures are similar to the ones performed in MDDs

Image.Material:

--- Quote from: MacTron on July 11, 2017, 08:52:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: Image.Material on July 11, 2017, 03:40:48 AM ---I'm not convinced the Xserve can have its FSB overclocked.

--- End quote ---
It's not an overclocked bus.

--- End quote ---

I meant overclocked as in "Overclocked from Apple's stock config", not pushing beyond the 7455's specs.

To be honest, I never saw an Xserve G4 (or even a RackMac) in front of me; even though I know they use the same board design as the MDD's, I'm completely unfamiliar with these.

I just noticed that there were machines that had onboard ATA-7  :)

Protools5LEGuy:
Last sunday I went 30 Km away from my city to pick a broken MDD. It was a Uni 1.25 GHz MDD with SAMSUNG PSU (broken I guess) and a Radeon 9000 and a Sonnet Allegro FW400 ( probably with onboard broken firewire ).

I went to everymac and compared geekbench 2 results of 867 Dual Vs Uni 1.25 and were the same! For Mac OS X there is no advantage one machine vs the other. But on Mac OS 9 M.A.R.L. and other cultist would choose the 1.25.

So I decided to put the 166 and 1.25 on the 867 dual box that has a working AcBel PSU.

Notice the colour greener on 133 and bluer on 166

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version