Author Topic: "already exists in this location" overwrite FAIL  (Read 3232 times)

supernova777

"already exists in this location" overwrite FAIL
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:32:23 AM »
so yes i just overwrote my reason project file which contained a good amount of unrecorded elements that i was using in my track in ableton... how did i do this? i was in a rush to close the project to open another file, and i pressed ok to the dialog "projectFile already exists in this location... " blah blah blah

anyway when i looked i saw only the ableton file there and not the reason file.. i quickly realized what had happened
checking the recycle bin , hoping to find the file... nothing.. it's just gone.. without a trace..

so it seems to me that this is a huge fail on the part of the mac os design......
not only mac os i think the same thing would happen the same way on a windows file system
however.. most likely i would have been saved by the file extension difference on a windows file system

now some of u might say well just label the file differently for reason and ableton which is what i will have to start doing
projectFile_A for ableton and maybe projectFile_R for reason or perhaps a simpler way would be to always hand code in the file extension projectFile.als and projectFile.rsn.. i think there may even be settings within one of the two programs (maybe not both) to automatically save the file with the proper extension.. either way this time im S.O.L short on luck

unless any of you have a suggestion of an unknown-to-me method for doing a undelete?
but i think this isnt possible because i literally wrote over the reason file with the ableton file
because they both had the exact same name and no file extension.
this wouldnt have happend in the first place if i wasnt trying to put the file away "for safe keeping" in a specific project folder

long story short.. always try to include file extension when u do a 'save as'
and u can avoid what i just did
i was moving a newer copy of the file, i thought i was overwriting the ableton old projectfile with the new but instead i overwrote my other (unique) file

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:02:20 AM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

Re: "already exists in this location" overwrite FAIL
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:04:23 AM »
just confirmed that reason 2.0 "Save as" dialog includes a check box at the bottom that says "add extension to filename"
this would have saved my ass!!