Author Topic: sound manager error 888  (Read 5853 times)

Offline jonah

• Newcomer
sound manager error 888
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:56:55 AM »
i'm trying to get studio vision running, but i when i open it i get the message that
"A Sound Manager error has occurred (888). Audio processing has stopped. To restart the driver, open Hardware Setup and click Open Control Panel."

i'm trying to use the g4 macs built in sound card and i'm using the studio vision 4.51 that's on this site and the AISO file that is available in that file.

Could the oasys pci I have installed be messing it up? i'm not sure if that's AISO as well. I am normally able to use sound manger for logic and the oasys at the same time. Going to try disabling that now. Yeah disabling the oasys seemed to do the trick...now how to get them both running..?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:08:24 AM by jonah »

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
Re: sound manager error 888
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
Return the Apple Sound Manager for system sounds - ie select Apple sound manager in the
sound control panel not the Oasys sound manager you may have already done this in your
explanation.
And just select Oasys ASIO in Logic and the Oasys card should be available for you to use
with Logic - the I/O of Logic and Oasys will be using the Oasys Card.

These are two different drivers that cause conflicts if they both are selected together - normally.

Am I reading and answering this correct and is this what you want to do?

Offline jonah

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »
it's studio vision pro that i'm having a the problem with. sorry i wasn't clear. thanks for your help with logic before, a restart fixed it. :)

i don't want to use the oasys as a sound card, i want to use the system audio, just like i am able to with logic, but while the oasys pci drivers are loaded in os9 extensions when i load studio vision i get the sound manager error 888. i don't know what that means though.

sound manager says system audio is selected, so i really don't know what is up with studio vision.  ???

the way os9 works with drivers is very new to me. it seems like i have to put the asio drivers in the studio vision folder and then restart.

just to see if it helped i tried putting the oasys pci driver file in the asio folder and i get a system error 2 and if i try the oasys asio driver 1 i get a system error 1. i guess these both have to do with memory.

i did some research, there wasn't much info, but it seems like maybe studio vision pro 4.5.1 will not work with the oasys? it also sounded liked maybe 4.2 will work with the oasys version 1 drivers. i don't know if people meant as a sound card or running side by side. i have yet to try svp 4.2 though.

have you ever had them both running?

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »
If Studio vision has a folder with ASIO drivers in it's folder then it is ASIO compatible
otherwise not.

The other problem I suggested before was that the apple sound manager panel
has got oasys selected as system out and you can't use oasys as system out and
as an ASIO driver at the same time in one of your apps.
You must release the sound manager control panel Oasys first then do a restart(to be safe)
then in Styudio Vision(if ASIO compatible) drop OASYS ASIO driver in the folder if it's there
and start up Studio Vision...

Let me know how you go...

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
it might have to do with versions? i think studio vision pro was released even before os 9 itself (9.0, let alone 9.04, 9.1, 9.2, etc) so it could be conflicts of extensions?..

either way.. it might be easier to get it running by itself without any oasys stuff at all and then trying to add the oasys stuff after getting simple SVP working on its own.

unfortunately i dont have an oasys card so im unfamiliar.