Author Topic: loading samples in AKAI s3000xl  (Read 27256 times)

supernova777

Re: loading samples in AKAI s3000xl
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »

Hi, I bought an akai s3000xl; it seems to works fine :)   First physical sampler here.

probably a really good buy considering the s3000XL has built in effects + all outputs + digital i/o as standard! (these are all upgrade options on the S2000) i wish i had a s3000XL!!!

(the s2000 has a small ass screen compared to the s3000XL... which has a full size LCD

check out my page on the s series
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=805.msg835#msg835
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:22:58 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 08:14:49 PM »
the scsi cdrom that i got. it was the yamaha crw3200sx.. well i actually had two of them.. and only one external power supply so i thought id open up the 2nd one.. and use it internally connected to a scsi card in a g4..
well..  i opened it up. and its IDE!!! so if u can find one of these Yamaha CRW3200SX drives.. if u open it up inside.. im pretty sure u could attach a faster/better CD/DVD drive to it... and have it work just the same.. the drive inside was jumpered to the "slave" setting on the IDE jumpers.. i havent tested this myself but i plan on testing it soon.

so inside the "Scsi" cdrom - its actually an IDE drive.. with SCSI-IDE bridge... i didnt think they had the technology to convert IDE to SCSI back in 2002!! but apparently they did

only trouble is finding a proper power supply for this thing (Connection seen top right on this diagram:)

Offline nsputnik

• Valued Member
    • website
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »
I seem to remember mounting Akai CD-ROMS from the Mac's CD-ROM drive on my S3000XL connected via SCSI.  You just have to set the sampler to the right SCSI ID to mount it.  On the Mac it will display a message that the drive is not formatted.  Just ignore this message (and you can't do anything else on the Mac until your done loading your samples).  Then, assuming you have a Zip drive in between, switch IDs on the sampler again to mount and then save the samples/patches/volume to the Zips disc.  But I will say having a dedicated CDROM drive for loading the samples is a lot easier.

MESA and Recycle were great too.  I used them for 10+ years.  Once I got Ableton Live for my MBP running 10.8.5 I used MESA to get out all of the samples from memory as AIFF files using a PM9600, sent them over the network to the MBP while running 10.6 (since 10.7 killed OSX to Classic networking capabilities), and then set them up in Sampler and Simpler in Live.  I had to remap and everything.

Sweeping the filter via sysex is not possible in the S3000XL, as this was not a realtime control.  You would need to assign the filter to the mod wheel or another CC and then you can do that.
Classic as my primary platform: 1988 - 2005

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 04:11:47 AM »

Sweeping the filter via sysex is not possible in the S3000XL, as this was not a realtime control.  You would need to assign the filter to the mod wheel or another CC and then you can do that.

Ouch...  :P    But its possible to assign whatelse midi message in the BCR2000  so... cool!!  8)