Author Topic: Studio vision supports most digidesign hardware prior to the digi001 incl TDM!  (Read 11182 times)

supernova777

http://web.archive.org/web/20020610030355/http://www.opcode.com/products/svpro/

Opcode's Studio Vision Pro
MIDI and digital audio recording and sequencing with professional hardware support
Studio Vision Pro is integrated MIDI sequencing and digital audio recording software for Macintosh.
Features include Power Mac native code, full support for Digidesign TDM bussing, advanced DSP features, enhanced integration with Apple's QuickTime and support for all major audio file types. Included are grooves in audio and MIDI format and other enhancement utitlities.
Note: While SVP 4.5.1 has TDM support and will support most Digidesign products, it will not interface with Digidesign 001. (Digidesign changed configuration)

so there u have it, if u have a tdm system, apparently its compatible with Studio vision pro!

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
I've found that version 4.22 of StudioVision with DAE 5.1.3 to be the most stable with a TDM Mix system. My experimentations with 4.51 showed to be unstable. The main benefit to 4.51 was the ability to use VST plugins. If you are running SV in TDM mode that option is removed anyway, so there's not a lot of benefit post 4.22 for TDM users.

I did try to get SV running on an HD|3 Accel system. I found out that the Accel cards were never supported by Digi with OS9, so if you have an Accel system you have to run OS X. The Process cards are supported by Digi in OS9 so they might work. I didn't have any with which to test.

With Digital Performer, which supported later versions of DAE (specifically 5.3.1), I found the same issues with the Accel cards--for the same reason. ProTools 5.3.1 would run, but it would only see the Core card. It ignored the Accel cards.

supernova777

Note: While SVP 4.5.1 has TDM support and will support most Digidesign products, it will not interface with Digidesign 001. (Digidesign changed configuration)

i wonder if theres a way to make it work with the digi 001..
it must work via asio???

i think they meant using DAE it doesnt support the digi 001..

Audio Hardware Compatibility

-ASIO Compatible Hardware
-Digidesign: (DAE, Nubus and PCI)
  ProTools 24
  ProTools III and all compatible TDM plug-ins
  ProTools Project
  Session 8
  Sound Tools II
  ProTools 442
  AudioMedia II/III

also,
pretty sure when it says it supports VST this is for *EFFECTS* only.. not vst 2.0 spec "instruments" plugins

then again -- i could be wrong -- because 4.5.1 supports rewire.. and rewire existed aroudn the time that vst 2.0 spec was created.. i would have to ask on the opcode users forum to be sure.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:03:27 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
OS X blah blah OS X blah blah… oh wait just kidding!  =8<>

I don't think the 001 was ever a TDM box was it? It was just an interface with some extra hardware in it. Yeah, according to this SOS article it's just an LE system with no TDM. It can run RTAS, but those are host based. So being an LE host based interface it wouldn't enjoy any TDM/DAE support.

But that said it doesn't mean that StudioVision would outright not support the 001. If the 001 was setup to interface with a standard ASIO protocol then it could. But Digi may have come up with something different for the 001.

If someone with a 001 installed SV 4.51 we could find out. :P

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec99/articles/digi001.htm

Oh here's something interesting, and this totally makes sense. On DUC they state that people have the 001 work with SV, but no one has gotten 24 bits to function. So SV will give you limited support with the 001.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=37163

Obligatory OS9 image:

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
I know that many years have passed since the last comment, but I did not want to open a new topic to comment on some details of digi001 with os9 for clarification and details on the subject of TDM.

I recommend anyone with a Digi001 to use Protools Le 5.2 as the central system for everything, for mixing, recording and mastering.

Tc Spark XL I recommend it to be used as a protools appendix since Spark XL has hots for VST audio and VST instruments, which this editor allows you to sample or record solos in real time when you play a VST instrument like Arturia CS80, FM7, Pro-53 .

Using ¨direct connect¨ for TC Spark XL 2.7, we will be able to integrate the editor and all VST plugins in protools, similar to using rewire for reason.

I also recommend having reason 1.0 or 2.5, really good stable systems to apply more resources to protools additionally.

So in this way I have many virtual instruments available to record in audio with Pro Tools Le and yes, this is where the Digi001 wins the most when you do everything in audio and start to arrange an idea to create a song.

I have TC Spark XL 2.7, ProTools Le 5.2 and Reason 2.5 to do all the music and synthesis that I need the most.

I use Metasynth the most to create weird sounds and samples using software synthesis.

Don't go any further, because there are things that are really unstable for Digi001, their drivers also with OMS sometimes stop responding and Midi is better to use with 5-pin cables.

Greetings and sorry if this surprised you after 8 years, the objective was simply to advise a shorter way to use more functional and stable software for Digi001 users.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
thank you VERY much for your insight!

2.7 xl i dont see here, 2.0, 2.5, 2.8 xl i do see.

does spark xl allow of mixing tdm and vst plugins ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 08:16:35 AM by smilesdavis »
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Thanks for the interesting info daddyjeff!! ;D

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
Q: With a G4 (AGP), the DSI crashes on boot or the computer occasionally freezes while loading the DSI.

A:The Digi 001 card must be rev C1 (or later). Rev C cards are not compatible, but can be modified by Digidesign.
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts