Author Topic: DIGI 001 MIDI PROBLEMS  (Read 5980 times)

supernova777

DIGI 001 MIDI PROBLEMS
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »
HEY THERE! hoping to encounter some helpful info from someone whos ran into this problem before..
when im using my DIGI 001 interface with another app like reason or ableton..
im having problems with my midi port..

sometimes it works great for a little while
and then stops as im int he middle of using it.. it just goes wonky.. basicallly
i realize its unreliable in anything other then pro tools LE 5.01
but does anyone know anything more on this topic?
just because id really like to understand wtf is going on..
because it really doesnt make any sense to me! and im trying to make sense of it:D

i know htere was some extension add in called digi midi init that has something to do with
midi problems while holding the mouse button down? perhaps this is the root of my problem?

supernova777

Re: DIGI 001 MIDI PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »
my machine specs:

2gb ram
MDD dual processor 867mhz G4

operating system:
mac os 9.2.2

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »
Setup many DIGI 001s for clients back in the day... I don't remember any specific issues with MIDI... I will try to find some of my old install notes

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
well for me, its literally nonfunctional unless im running apps that support DAE mode driver. like pro tools itself..
lucky for me i realized that i could use these generic usb - midi cables that i have.. i thought they were 10.4+ but they are working fine under 10.3.9......

only thing is if i boot to os9.. these usb midi cables dont work at all under os9 because theres no driver..
i need to get a midisport or something , this mdd also has no serial port so i cant use a cheap serial midi device.. have to get something usb.

i might have to shuffle some gear around and use my roland um880 with this box if i want it working under os9.. i belive theres a roladn driver for os9....

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
just an update..

i think installing a direct IO Driver from Steinberg might have solved these problems i was having.. pretty sure i got the update from steinberg but it might have been from avid site i will try to double check but midi using 3rd party apps via the digi 001 port seems to have stabilized. i was getting some very strange behaviour where i would hit the same note and the note would be changing erraticly as if i was pressing random keys but i was still hitting the same key...

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 03:05:07 PM »
Normally, a G4 001 user bought an emagic midi rack or the shorter version (or any compatible) midi USB interface for using Logic.
It is true, the 001 midi is only reliable on Protools. I have 0 experience with protools and midi but to make a click with a external midi module
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline macboy

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:31:41 AM »
Yup.  The Emagic MT4 works great.  2 in, 4 out, USB.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct00/articles/emagic.htm

Manual:  http://www.potm.org/resources/Unitor/MT4-en.pdf

Pretty inexpensive on eBay...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:40:24 AM by macboy »

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 01:49:55 AM »
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/just-upgraded-digidesign-digi001-digi002-drivers-asio-drivers-windows/

this page eludes to the asio drivers rendering the midi port non functional if u use a asio driver from 2003 or later
its talking about winxp but this is keeping in same form of what i experienced on mac os 9..
using the asio drivers = midi doesnt work
using dae mode (non-asio) = midi works fine!