Author Topic: Best FTP Client  (Read 11856 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Best FTP Client
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
I've used both Transmit and Fetch. Fetch has been the most stable. I like Transmit better, but it crashes once every 3 seconds. I don't think there's much more than Fetch or Transmit to try out for OS9.

I remember reading something here about using the network browser as an FTP client but I thought we had to have Appleshare enabled for that and that we should leave that disabled.

supernova777

Re: Best FTP Client
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »
i also use fetch, but lately i havent even used ftp on the os9 mac, because of my integration with my AFP fileserver.. i can easily drop a file onto my media share and just bounce over to my win7 machine and use filezilla there.. not sure if i prefer it that way but thats just been what ive been doing without even thinking about it..
but i have used fetch the most and i also had a problem with transmit, perhaps transmit wasnt coded for 9.2.2 there must be a reason why it fails so consistantly.

i think you are confusing appletalk + appleshare..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleTalk
AppleTalk is a proprietary suite of networking protocols developed by Apple Inc. for their Macintosh computers. AppleTalk included a number of features that allowed local area networks to be connected with no prior setup or the need for a centralized router or server of any sort. Connecting together AppleTalk equipped systems would automatically assign addresses, update the distributed namespace, and configure any required inter-networking routing. It was a plug-n-play system.

vs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleShare
AppleShare was a product from Apple Computer which implemented various network services. Its main purpose was acting as a file server, using the AFP protocol. Other network services implemented in later versions of AppleShare included a print server using the Printer Access Protocol (PAP), web server, electronic mail server, and SMB / CIFS server to support file sharing to Microsoft Windows clients.

i have my appletalk set to 'inactive' but im also using appleshare AFP to connect to my fileserver (over TCP/IP)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:38:41 AM »
The best Mac Os 9 FTP Client is Interarchy 6.3 IMHO.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:07:29 AM »
Let's try it  -afro-

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:17:16 AM »
I am really wondering what makes your Transmit installation crashing. I am using Transmit for years now without any single crash, ... ?

Well there are a lot more FTP programs for Mac OS 9 out there. Anarchy/Interarchy was already named by MacTron. If you need FTP with SSL you will have to use "Netfinder" FTP Client. If you need SFTP, go for "MacSFTP".

A lot more "networking programs" can befound on the Mac Orchand webpage:
http://www.macorchard.com/classic/