Poll

What do you want Apple to bring back from OS 9 into their next OS?

Window Shade
2 (20%)
Control Strip
0 (0%)
Apple Menu with Apps in it
2 (20%)
Special in Finderbar
0 (0%)
Old Window UI
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Lag in OS9?  (Read 18680 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Lag in OS9?
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:02:27 AM »
On older Windows machines, I noticed that after you browse the web a lot and just generally use your computer extensively, things start lagging or stalling. An example is after a fresh format you click the Start button and the menu comes up immediately, but after some use of your PC, it'll take 1-2 seconds for the menu to appear.

I'm experiencing something similar in OS9. When I right click on a file it takes a bit for the menu to come up, and when I click off and try again, it's fast the 2nd time around. Another example is when I open software (even Simple Text), I see the top bar appear for 2-3 seconds but it's totally grey (like it's frozen on opening) until it finally opens. It clears up after closing it and trying again.

What could be the cause of this? I'm running on an SSD drive so I don't defragment.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Lag in OS9?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 03:39:18 AM »
I think You should make a virus check...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 03:44:46 AM »
I don't browse the web on that machine though. Well, in OSX I did a little, but not in OS9. I just opened Simple Text and it took 5-6 seconds to open.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 04:06:00 AM »
 :)"Mac Os 9 Lives" :)

...and its virus too...
 :'(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:54:00 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 04:10:30 AM »
Which software?

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 04:39:45 AM »
sometimes its hard to really figure it out..... but theres a problem.
for example i was having problem i thought was with my delta 1010 sample rate clock
because my audio was dropping out and i had to reset my samplerate to get my audio back clear
but i found out it was something to do with my midi setup because i disabled the ports that i wasnt using and BANG
eveyrthing is fine..

i guess this is the logic behind disabling alot of extensions u arent using etc
well thats more about conservation of resources but u never know what can be causing problems
u have to be very thorough and go slow to figure it out maybe?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »
Ok guys, I found the problem.... but the problem is probably worse than you think.

My computer is officially possessed by the devil and I'm going to need an exorcist to remedy it.

There's a mysterious extension that appeared in my extensions panel. It's a blank file icon (like when there's no association) with no version or software type information, and it looks just like this:

:o :o :o

I disabled it and Simple Text immediately opened as usual, and the lag seems to be gone.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/21787/extension-666-is-this-bad/

I think I know where this may have come from too...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »
I've been meaning to format my OS9 system for a while so I think I'm going to format the system instead just to be safe...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
Guys, I've got some bad news. That Cubase VST/32 5.0 update file is infected with the 666/SevenDust virus. CubaseVST32_51r1.sit.bin is the file.

Does this mean that all of us who installed it are also infected?

I used some software called Agax to scan it and it's definitely the culprit. You can download the scanner from here: http://defyne.org/agax/

Maybe that file was cross contaminated on my own system and the files online here are fine, but I'd use this software to check and also take a look in your extensions panel for the 666 extension to be sure.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »
I can confirm that the infected file is the Cubase 5.1 update that was posted here. Everyone who installed it needs to grab http://defyne.org/agax/ and run a scan. I'm personally just going to format my system as I've needed to do that anyway.

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »
thats not the cubase 5.x updateer its the actual installer downloaded directly from steinberg
can u check this out for us?
ftp.steinberg.net

download from there and check the file because if thats the file then we all have this ;(
but it seems like its not a huge deal
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2000-122112-5959-99

lists it as easy to remove and threat level low

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 03:33:58 PM »
That file on the Steinberg FTP isn't infected. I think what happened is whoever posted the update file on Adrive was infected, downloaded the updater (then it got infected), then uploaded it to Adrive.

supernova777

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
great.. so its mactron, me, or diehard..
how do i check my files for the virus.
can u outline the process for me
going to get a coffee looks like i have work to do

*sigh*

i remember there was some talk of this on the macintoshgarden site

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »
Look in your extensions folder, at the very top there may be an extension that looks like this:

I believe you installed Cubase long before it was posted here though. The update that was posted here was only posted in March, and I didn't install this until a couple days ago when I started having problems.

Grab the software here: http://defyne.org/agax/ - just run it, and go to 'Examine' at the top and do your whole OS9 hard drive. It'll have a log file noting if anything is infected with SevenDust. If you see something, go to Repair and select OS9. The rest is intuitive.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
Whew...

Downloaded agax and have completed without any problems on my HD.
I use Cubase vst32/5.2 and not 5.1r1 thank goodness.

I was just wondering why startup was marginally slow entering to desktop
after loading extensions must be some other culprit.

Anyway goodluck guys.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »
The 5.0 CDROM is fine. It's that darn 5.1 update on Adrive. I'm gonna install 5.1, but do it from the clean Steinberg file.

If you're curious you can download the file and scan it. Just make sure to leave it in its own folder and don't move it anywhere where software is. Scan it with Agax and it should tell you it's infected.

I'm wondering why the 5.2 update wasn't posted here, now that I think of it... which file do you use for that?

supernova777

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »
lol syntho, its not an update file its the complete installer of 5.1r1
pretty sure i was the one who uploaded it too;(
but i dont have any 666 extension?
it could have been from another one of my macs tho..

i just ran agax and didnt get any messages about viruses...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
Well when you use it along with the 5.0 CDROM as noted in the instructions, it's 'kind of' an update :D

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 09:12:16 PM »
The 5.0 CDROM is fine. It's that darn 5.1 update on Adrive. I'm gonna install 5.1, but do it from the clean Steinberg file.

If you're curious you can download the file and scan it. Just make sure to leave it in its own folder and don't move it anywhere where software is. Scan it with Agax and it should tell you it's infected.

I'm wondering why the 5.2 update wasn't posted here, now that I think of it... which file do you use for that?

should be ready soon (ftp) - (5.2) it can coexist with (5.1r1)