Author Topic: ATI Radeon 9200 + Mac OS 9.2.2  (Read 50667 times)

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
Re: ATI Radeon 9200 + Mac OS 9.2.2
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »
Is there any other way to change the screen resolution while the extensions are off?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2016, 03:09:46 AM »
On  a GeForce 2 I boot to OSX before. The resolution get stored on PRAM somehow. I havent the monitor panel loaded.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2016, 07:37:40 AM »
Sorry guys, I donīt get the problem!
Get that damn "latest ATI drivers" from 2005, boot 9 without any extension, remove the former ATI (I suspect RAGE 128) drivers by hand. Reboot again without drivers and run the installer. Done.

I never before heard about any 9200 instability. Perhaps there are some flashed cards out there making problems but this sounds like a usual extension conflict.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
On  a GeForce 2 I boot to OSX before. The resolution get stored on PRAM somehow. I havent the monitor panel loaded.

i cant check right now, but it could be that the monitors control panel ist not even a cdev, which means you could still open it when it "has not been loaded".

switchres requires its init...
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"
- DieHard, random forum troll at macos9lives.com

Offline ziggy29

• Enthusiast
  • new to the forums
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »
For a personal data point, I have just confirmed this works well in my PM 7600 running OS 8.6 and OS 9.1, and mostly (apparently without acceleration) in OS 8.1.  Note that this is the actual retail Mac Edition PCI 9200 with 128 MB of VRAM which is overkill for this model, but I digress.  I do it because I can!

I downloaded the file '9200os9.sit' from here:  http://www.kranenburg.cc/mirko.cc/macclassic.html

(I've seen links to the Howfunkel site, but when I use Stuffit on that archive the file types are gone and not recognized as extensions.  At this site, the file unstuffs fine.)

Then I made backups of my 8.1, 8.6 and 9.1 extensions folders.  (This is a tricked out 7600 with 512 MB of RAM, a Sonnet G3/300 card, and a Sonnet Tempo HD with a 120 GB "SSD" -- really an mSATA card and mSATA to 2.5" IDE adapter -- attached to the card with partitions for several OS installs, shared data/apps and other stuff.)

With my previous video card -- a Rage 128 with 16MB of VRAM -- still in place I began to move the files -- it's best to install these while the old card is still there. I rebooted with extensions off and copied the 12 files in the new "9200os9" folder into my three Extensions folders once I had a good backup copy of each.  I rebooted once into 9.1 with the Rage 128 to confirm it still worked fine.  It did. 

Then I shut down, replaced the Rage 128 with the 9200, booted into 9.1, and it all worked fine.  Next, I booted into 8.6.  Again, worked perfectly. 

Finally, back to OS 8.1.  It crashed on an extension while booting up.  Trial and error indicated it was the "ATI Resource Manager" extension which was the culprit; removing it and leaving the other 11 in place works *except* that the acceleration extension is "X-ed out" when loading at boot time.  Other than that it seems to be working fine.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:27:25 PM by ziggy29 »

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2016, 03:18:28 AM »
I have tried the drag and drop method as it seems previous poster on this thread was successful. It booted well but still with the same issue. I forgot to state that the screen is "out of range" right before it goes into login on the desktop, so it seems that the screen resolution outputted from the vid card was way beyond the screen that could handle. It would display fine on the startup screen, just that it would not display the desktop. And also I have noticed the it would not load the video acceleration extensions.

Btw, the screen is connected via VGA, there is another option on the screen for the DVI connector. I am not sure now if it is a retail/official card of some sort or a flashed one. It is a card of red PCB color and DVI-I and VGA connector, if that helps to ID it. The screen has a max res of 1366 x 768, and it work well on 10.4.11.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2016, 09:00:20 AM »
...  it would not load the video acceleration extensions.

You should try the MacTron's famous System folder  8) . It is bullet proof and includes the latest ATI drivers, ( including 9200 support ). Furthermore it include the old Monitors control panel v7.5.6 that could change your screen resulution even if you start whith extensions off.

Btw, the screen is connected via VGA, there is another option on the screen for the DVI connector. I am not sure now if it is a retail/official card of some sort or a flashed one. It is a card of red PCB color and DVI-I and VGA connector, if that helps to ID it.
Try the DVI connector, it is  more reliable usually and the image quality is better.

The screen has a max res of 1366 x 768, and it work well on 10.4.11.

The 1366x768 resolution isn't supported by Mac Os 9. AFAIK.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:18:38 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2016, 02:02:38 PM »
Perhaps we are facing a communication problem here. I strongly belive that Nameci has a simple driver issue. As said most likely a clean driver conflict like we had so often. I suggested to boot with all extensions off and start to work with that (most likely 640 x 480) resolution. But I just read about further copy operations.
Just get rid of that former ATI extensions, and use the latest installer from 2005. There is no need to get stuff from everywhere and mess up the System folder even more. Just use the original 9200 installer!

I strongly disagreee to that staement. It does not depend on the OS, but on the graphiccard and its drivers. If the card works fine with EDID informations coming from the monitor, everything goes well. I even used resolutions like 169 x 1050 and similar. Even my old TwinTurbo here offeres me for the 2nd display 1920 x 1080, ...

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2016, 04:51:12 PM »
I have disabled all the ATI extensions if that would matter and I have rebooted, all the extensions enabled were loaded at startup except of course for the graphic accelerator. Once it is past startup screen and about to go to desktop there goes my dreaded "out of range". Funny, because during startup the screen is on a somewhat recognized high resolution (I would assume it is on 1366 x 768), not on 640 x 480.

I have no professional use for this powermac, except I will pass this to my 3 year old son. There are lots of education applications and references, and besides I just love the snappiness of OS9.

I would assume most of us here are windows free.

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2016, 07:17:56 PM »
I have disabled all the ATI extensions if that would matter and I have rebooted, all the extensions enabled were loaded at startup except of course for the graphic accelerator. Once it is past startup screen and about to go to desktop there goes my dreaded "out of range".
These statements are contradictory. I donīt know why, but I do not understand what you tried.
Did you boot without any extension? If so, how? Did the desktop come up without extensions? If so, in which resolution.
How did youdisable "all the ATI extensions"? And which extensions you are referring to if you say "grapic accelerator extensions" do not load?

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »
Hello Matt,

Thanks for helping buddy. When I say disable the extensions, what I mean is turning the extensions off on boot. If extensions are off it would boot fine without the "out of range" message on the monitor screen. Within 3 startups, the startup resolution would be higher, but after 3 or so startups it would now start to 640 x 480 and would boot to the desktop. I am sorry english is not native to me so I cannot state it articulately.

When I say disable all the ATI extensions, that means using the extension manager and removing the "x" mark on the boxes of all extension that has ATI on its name.

I can figure out which extensions are causing this issues once I can go past the "out of range" message on the screen. If extensions are off it means all the extensions on the /System Folder/Extensions are disabled, am I right? What extensions are setting the resolution then?

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »
Hi Nameci,
English is also not my first language, thats why I really thought I didnīt get some parts.

So, I still belive you got a simple drivers conflict. Fine to hear that your Mac can boot to the desktop if all extensions are off. What I still do not understand is how you can use Extensions On/Of control panel without extensions loaded. That is still a myst, ...
There is one huge missunderstanding: you cannot use any screen resolution changes without the correct ATI 9200 drivers, but you have just the wrong ones recently as I think (the original Mac OS 9 ATI drivers that came with your system - for other cards). You need to get the right ATI 9200 drivers installed, and than you can change to any resolution.

But; what you should try is quite easy as I said above:

• Download that ATI driver which is linked above.
• Boot your mac with all extensions off!
• from now on you will work in 640 x 480 or a similar low resolution for all steps!
• Manually remove all extensions regarding ATI from the Folder "Extensions" in the Systemfolder to the folder "Extensoins (off)" in the System Folder. That is the same what you usually automatically do with the Control Panel "Extensions ON/OFF"
• reboot your mac to see if it now boots with extensions into the desktop. If it doesnīt you still have a conflict, and need to identify te problematic extension by manually removeing one after the other to the "off folder"
• If you mac boots, run the ATI installer,
• reboot, and enjoy the 9200 and resolution as bith depth changes and adjust to your needs.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2016, 11:03:01 PM »
"Out of range" normally refers to the refresh rate being too high (or low) for the monitor's circuitry, not so often the resolution.  Not all refresh rate settings are possible with every resolution on any given card.  Quite a few times I've run into a situation where I temporarily had to connect another more capable monitor to a particular Mac setup in order to get video long enough for a mode change, at which point I would go back to using the original monitor.

This happened to me more often with LCD monitors, although quite a few CRTs fell victim too.  The resolution you said is the maxium for your monitor is a bit unusual.  I'm quite willing to bet your monitor is the issue here.   Either the resolution isn't supported by the video card (likely), or the refresh rate available at that resolution won't sync with your monitor.  Many older LCDs could only sync to 60hz.  Connecting it via DVI may help the video card to better detect the supported modes.  If that doesn't work, try connecting a more capable monitor first, change the resolution and/or refresh rate, and then switch back again.

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2016, 12:10:54 AM »
His monitor is working in general, as he stated above (in low resolutions). He just cannot adjust the refresh rate (and resolution) as he has the wrong drivers. He just needs to install them, and will subsequently be able to change everything!

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2016, 08:46:38 AM »
  My point was that the card seems like it may be automatically switching at the desktop to a setting his monitor doesn't support.  This is very common behaviour.  If the card is validly displaying video at that stage there would be no way to know for sure without trying another monitor first.  I agree drivers may be the issue, as I was one of the first to question that, but the compatibility of that particular monitor at a particular resolution and refresh rate has to be ruled out first.  As I said, an LCD monitor with a maximum resolution of 1366 x 768 is often a good indicator of a product with limited refresh rate support.  There were lots of similar screens out there with a very limited tolerance for refresh rate settings other than 60Hz at higher resolutions.  The fact that it will function at 640x480 is almost meaningless as just about any monitor will display that resolution and the default refresh rate of the video card at that resolution is almost certainly 60Hz.

It still would not surprise me if the video card in question doesn't actually offer a 1366x768 resolution setting because it was not a common one.  The video card may be trying to output what it considers the closest possible setting, which may also not be a resolution that particular LCD monitor can support.  (It might me trying to output 1280x768, for example.)  Trust me, I've been through this tons of times before.  He could have working drivers already and wouldn't even know it because the system will keep automatically switching to an output format his monitor won't display, never giving him the chance to switch.  It's one of those all-or-nothing catch22's regarding extension loading that I talked about in another thread.

Try another monitor for long-enough to switch settings and then go back to trying the 1366x768 monitor again.  Even a monitor that supports a lower resolution may be enough to successfully view video at the desktop temporarily because it would force the video card to pick a different resolution by itself.  It may, in extreme cases, also require a PRAM reset (or double or triple-reset) to get a one-time boot at a lower desktop resolution.

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
  My point was that the card seems like it may be automatically switching at the desktop to a setting his monitor doesn't support
Thats obvious, and of course you are right. And yes, perhaps if he finds some monitor that uses exacxtly the resolution/refresh rate/bit depth that the card puts out after booting, he may get a signal, and the desktop. BUT my point was, that all that card specific/OS specific questions are obsolte as long as he doesnīt have the right drivers to switch to other resolutions.

I got the feeling that we are complicating things a lot, as there were already postings abut "not using 9 natively at all" and such. This is perhaps as many of us have high knowledge and expect "usual" tries before a posting. But I got the impression that Nameci has to do just some very basic steps. Of course I can be wrong.

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2016, 05:28:52 PM »
Would an aluminum 23" ACD work on this vid card? The other screen I have is an ACD with the proprietary connection.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2016, 08:53:53 PM »
  That ACD model seems to have a really strange horizontal/vertical resolution ratio, but it can't hurt to try.  It is likely a little more advanced in terms of handling resolutions that need to be scaled to fit and unusual refresh rates than your older LCD.  It should be enough to tell if you really are getting visible video at the desktop with the extensions "on".  If it shows on the ACD with extensions "on" then you should be able to switch resolutions or refresh rates and re-attach the older screen.  Even if 2D acceleration fails to enable you should still be able to switch resolutions.  There's a strong chance you won't be able to set it to the native resolution of 1366x768, but hopefully you can find a similar setting that isn't too blurry.

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2016, 10:18:05 PM »
I checked again, re:resolution, by booting into OSX. It is actually 1360x768 @59.3Hz, and no other options for the freq enabled. I lowered down the res to 1280x720 and there, 60Hz and 75Hz is enabled as freq options.

I think the vid card is forcing the screen to 1360x768 @60Hz, but what boggles my mind is that why on startup with OS9 it is displaying a higher resolution that seems like 1360x768, but once startup is complete and logging into the desktop the screen would blank and display "out of range".

I have replaced all the ATI extensions with the updated ones (from ^^^), still the same thing so I would think the drivers are ok, my issue would be compatibility with the monitor.

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2016, 11:10:54 PM »
If you would have the right drivers, you should be able to change the resolution, at least to anything else, like 640x480@60Hz!
Sorry, but what do you mean by "replaced the drivers"? That is mystical like your "Extensions off" above that you never explained. Did you finally run the ATI installer from within Mac Os 9? I expect not. I got the feeling you are heavily bustling around from the booted Mac OS X within the 9 Systemfolder.

I am giving up here. But donīt blame Mac OS 9! My own 9200 is working perfectly.

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2016, 06:10:31 AM »
@Mat,

You said, yours is working perfectly, is the Graphics Acceleration working?

Thanks a lot buddy, and to all who have responded and posted on the thread for all your suggestions and recommendation. I really appreciate your help.

I did install the update files from 2005, with the PC monitor still no dice seeing the desktop, "out of range" still persist. Anyway, it is a chinese made and branded monitor so I would point my finger to the monitor, it is btw a 720p native monitor. I could not even get to the desktop with extensions loaded only up to startup screen where you see extensions icons on the lower left.

Anyway, I did put in the 23" alu ACD, and voila I have the MacOS9 desktop no sweat. That means the drivers are working, ATI extension icon on the upper right of the menu bar can be seen, so that means ATI extensions are loaded, except the ATI Graphic Acceleration is grayed out.

Next I would be trying is a DVI connection instead of VGA. If all goes well I will be in Cloud OS9.

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2016, 06:39:48 AM »
...  it would not load the video acceleration extensions.

You should try the MacTron's famous System folder  8) . It is bullet proof and includes the latest ATI drivers, ( including 9200 support ). Furthermore it include the old Monitors control panel v7.5.6 that could change your screen resulution even if you start whith extensions off.

Where can I dl your famous System folder? I will try to change res even when extensions are off.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2016, 08:46:22 AM »
  As I understand it, OS 9 works with a 'safe' lower resolution until it hits the desktop, then it tries to switch to what it thinks is the best higher setting for the monitor.  If you see the desktop and shut down through the menu it assumes the setting is good, stores it in the motherboard PRAM, then loads it as early as possible on next boot.  If you don't see the desktop and shut down improperly the higher setting doesn't get saved to PRAM and you get stuck in a loop where it starts at a visible lower resolution and then keeps switching to something else at the desktop.  If you ever reset the PRAM then you get back into the cycle and have to switch monitors again once to get your settings back.

Your smaller LCD isn't exactly 'crappy', it just isn't designed for a wide range of input settings.  As you see though via the ACD, the drivers are partially working, as I expected.  What isn't working is the acceleration because the card is not recognized as an officially supported variant by the ATI driver.  I can see that yours isn't exactly the same as mine because yours has half the VRAM and some other minor differences in the device declaration ROM fields.  It could be that it was a version without complete OS 9 support and meant only for OS X, or it may be a PC card that had a Mac ROM flashed into it.  If you look at the model sticker on the card it should clearly say "MAC" on it if it was a true retail Mac card and not a flashed one.

As has been mentioned you may be able to get acceleration working with a modified driver.  Someone else on this forum may be able to help with that.  There may also be a chance the ROM can be flashed to a different version.

In the end the monitor was the main culprit.  Be happy you can see the desktop because you still have a reasonably usable system even without acceleration because the card is quite fast anyway.  The only things that shouldn't work well would be 3D games and Quicktime videos or DVD playback.  If you don't need those then you can probably continue using the system as it is.

I will report back later with the specifics of my 9200 card and the drivers I'm using.  And in answer to your other question, yes, acceleration is enabled on my card.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:32:34 AM by MacOS Plus »

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »
  Could you post the device profile information from the view in the ATI Displays window also?  I'd like to give you a complete comparison against my card.  I can already tell you that yours has a slightly older ROM version.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:14 AM »
Where can I dl your famous System folder? I will try to change res even when extensions are off.

Here you have:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3176.0.html

First try this System folder with the extensions enabled. You will find that everything works ok, including 2D/3D acceleration, and you could even switch resolutions with the extensions off. But you'll never ever can set 1360x768 in Mac Os 9.

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »

Here you have:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3176.0.html

First try this System folder with the extensions enabled. You will find that everything works ok, including 2D/3D acceleration, and you could even switch resolutions with the extensions off. But you'll never ever can set 1360x768 in Mac Os 9.

@MacTron,

You are right, that system folder is bullet proof.

Initially, I booted with extensions off and change the resolution to a lower resolution of 1280x720 and rebooted normally. Yahoo! it booted well into the desktop, but it froze, though mouse cursor can be moved, but could not clicked menu. I rebooted again to extensions off and copied extensions manager control panel from my previous OS9 and pasted it on the Extensions folder, and by process of elimination discovered Quicktime 3D Rave as causing the freeze.

But you are wrong, it is now working on 1360x768.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2016, 09:11:13 PM »
  The available resolutions should be determined almost entirely by the card itself in tandem with what it recognizes about the monitor via the sense pins (VGA/ADC-analog), EDID (DVI/ADC-digital/HDMI), or similar methods for TV-out adapters, but it will also only allow resolutions and refresh rates the video card is itself capable of.  As an example, most of my Mac video cards are old enough to not support 16:9 ratios or other odd combinations.  Oddly enough there was one Nubus card ever that was actually supposed to be capable of 1920x1080, but perhaps I'm drifting off topic there.

@Nameci: Did acceleration enable with MacTron's boot image?  Can you post a screen shot of the device profile in the ATI Displays window so I can see more detail of your card than System Profiler gave?

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2016, 09:18:11 PM »
Nope ATI Graphic Acceleration is not enabled, hence, the "X" sign on the icon during extensions load.

Online DieHard

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »
To avoid your next headache, One Last tidbit, as discussed here...
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2700.msg17355.html#msg17355

One Important note is that only the Lucite (clear plastic) version of the 23" will do 1900X1200 in OS 9, the aluminum 23" Cinema will NOT go that high in OS 9, only in X

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2016, 10:52:45 PM »
it is now working on 1360x768.

So did we have a monitor issue, or a driver issue? Is Mac OS 9 as the 9200 innocent as I told the whole time?!
I expect appropriate exculpation from all involved gentleman. Otherwise I have to demand satisfaction in a duel, Saturday at sunrise. Weapons will be the 68k Macs we own, that we are throwing at each other. ;-p
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:04:01 PM by Mat »

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2016, 02:51:31 AM »
I have tried to install 3 flavors of installers from here.
1. Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install ISO
- updated ATI Drivers as per suggestion and procedure of @Mat
- cannot get to desktop due to "out of range"
- can only get to desktop if booted with extensions off
- cannot change resolution using Monitor control panel when extensions are off
- can get to desktop with 23" Alu ACD

2. Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Drag Install
- updated ATI Drivers as per suggestion and procedure of @Mat
- cannot get to desktop due to "out of range"
- cannot change resolution using Monitor control panel when extensions are off
- can only get to desktop if booted with extensions off
- can get to desktop with 23" Alu ACD

3. MacTron's bullet proof system folder from MacTron's Rescue and Install CD
- can get to desktop at full resolution in both 23" ACD and PC monitor with extensions on but froze on PC monitor, cannot click menus but can move mouse
- can change resolution with Monitor control panel when extensions are off
- freezing desktop was caused by Quicktime 3D Rave extension, can get to desktop at full res 1360x768 using PC monitor after removal of extension

Now the question, what are the differences between this 3 installers and what is it that makes it boot to full resolution? That I have to dig in further...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:50:20 AM by Nameci »

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2016, 06:10:48 AM »
Will somebody explain to me what have just happened?

I have to give the credit to @Mat.

Just now, I have freshly installed 9.2.2 with drag install method. What the heck, I have plenty of time, might as well play with install and see what will happen, might discover something new. Booted first to extensions off, removed all ATI extensions and install drivers from 2005, updated it and rebooted. You know what, it booted up to desktop at 1360x768, my monitor's full resolution and froze. But of course, I know what is causing it, QuickDraw 3D Rave. Booted again to extensions off, made a copy of the settings thru extensions manager and turned off QuickDraw 3D Rave. Rebooted normally, and there I have a full functioning desktop at full resolution.

Thanks to all the good people here who have helped me one way or another thru comments and suggestions to make it happen. I owe you all a pint. Cheers ;D

@MacOS Plus, I cannot open the ATI Displays windows for some reason. I think ATI Graphics Acceleration should be enabled to do this. Mine is greyed out.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2016, 07:07:42 AM »
@MacTron,

You are right, that system folder is bullet proof.

Initially, I booted with extensions off and change the resolution to a lower resolution of 1280x720 and rebooted normally. Yahoo! it booted well into the desktop, but it froze, though mouse cursor can be moved, but could not clicked menu.

This system folder is so simple, optimized  and "bullet proof" :) that you should disable extensions just dragging them out of the System folder, not using another extension that can cause troubles at some point ( the extension manager ) to doing actually nothing.

I rebooted again to extensions off and copied extensions manager control panel from my previous OS9 and pasted it on the Extensions folder, and by process of elimination discovered Quicktime 3D Rave as causing the freeze.

That's a weird problem. May be this issue was discussed here in the past if my memory serves ...

But you are wrong, it is now working on 1360x768.

Sorry for the inconvenience. But I'm glad to learn something new :)

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2016, 07:12:21 AM »
Well, seems my joke above wasnīt that funny this time, ... :(

But back on topic. The issue is still strange to me. I suspected the whole time that it shoudl work, butt somehow it didnīt. Donīt know what is different at the other installations, as I never tried them.

Glad that is is working well now. BTW, if we donīt have it already, here is a collection of all ATI Mac drivers: http://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_Mac/

And, MacTron isnīt that wrong as well. ATI never claimed that your special resolution is possible: http://www.cnet.com/products/ati-radeon-9200-mac-edition-pci-128mb/specs/

So as long as we didnīt have the proove from somebody like you, there still was a real chance that it will not work with the best resolution for you. For me the question is now what resolutions are really possible with different cards. I know there are some good 2d cards out there (like the Matrox) that are superior in providing crazy seldom resolutions like yours.

And finally, MacOS Plus also had a lot of interresting points, and has a high level of knowledge about Macs. Very interresting, and still some new points for me!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:45:10 AM by Mat »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2016, 07:47:05 AM »
So did we have a monitor issue, or a driver issue? Is Mac OS 9 as the 9200 innocent as I told the whole time?!
I expect appropriate exculpation from all involved gentleman. Otherwise I have to demand satisfaction in a duel, Saturday at sunrise. Weapons will be the 68k Macs we own, that we are throwing at each other. ;-p

I'll accept the duel if we can throw each others any kind of Intel inside computers instead of our beloved 68k Macs.
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2016, 11:09:14 PM »
  Could you post the device profile information from the view in the ATI Displays window also?  I'd like to give you a complete comparison against my card.  I can already tell you that yours has a slightly older ROM version.

I have updated the ROM via OSX ROM updater.

ATI Displays on the OS9 won't open. So, I rebooted to OSX and took this screenshot. After the ROM update, still no ATI Graphic Acceleration.

Btw, posting this via Classilla.

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2016, 02:35:40 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am happy to announce that I have now enabled graphics acceleration for my ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card.

I have arrived into the solution that I only need to run the installer from here
<url>http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1101.0.html</url>,
after booting with extensions off and removing all ATI*.* extensions and I have not installed the update from 2005. I think the ROM on the card is not compatible with the updated 2005 drivers.

Thanks everyone again for the comments and suggestions, it is one hell of a ride. One after effect though, now the resolution is pegged to 1280x720, 1360x768 is not available anymore on the list and the monitor is not identified by the system, it says "VGA Display" now instead of "95QD" which is the model name of the monitor.

But anyhow, I am now a happy camper.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2016, 05:23:14 AM »

i think so, too.

in this case the monitor could be the problem and i would recommend to add switchres to the OS9 systemfolder to enable this.

http://www.madrau.com/srx_download/download.html (scroll down)
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2016, 06:53:42 AM »
i think so, too.
Grrr, ... read the thread, and stop just "scanning the informations"! It is neither Mac OS 9 nor the graphiccard itselve, it is the driver. He had 1366x768 running well with the other driver (but then had no 3d acceleration).

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2016, 11:29:54 PM »
i think so, too.
Grrr, ... read the thread, and stop just "scanning the informations"! It is neither Mac OS 9 nor the graphiccard itselve, it is the driver. He had 1366x768 running well with the other driver (but then had no 3d acceleration).

@Mat, that is correct. Just the drivers. I would say that it also needed a clean install of the system.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2016, 08:06:03 AM »
So did we have a monitor issue, or a driver issue?

it is even more complicated.

beside the actual card driver, the card, its firmware and rom version, the operating system and possible system extensions to it there is another possible player in the game, which is the monitor cables.

if you use a very old VGA cable with a modern monitor oyu might also run into resolution troubles, because the communication with the monitor wont work.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2016, 08:08:15 AM »
Will somebody explain to me what have just happened?

this can mean anything.

among other things, using another systemfolder also means you got rid of the monitor preferences and eventually even updated info about it in the PRAM.

so it is never 100% sure that some new dirver of that new system folder is what fixed the issue. :)

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2016, 08:58:52 AM »
I have played around a little bit. I have booted into OSX again and tinkered with ATI Displays. Now I know, things that you set on the sofware side is being written on the card. I disabled/unchecked a setting which enabled hardware scaler for non-apple monitors (or something to that). After that, I have 1280x768 instead of 1280x720 only. That is on the OSX side.

I rebooted back to OS9, hoping that I get the same selection but failed. Oh well, still I am happy with what I have now.

One more thing, I have updated the ATI extensions to 2005 except ATI Graphic Accelerator, the result I still have graphic acceleration, so it means this extension from 2005 is causing conflict with my the card.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2016, 01:15:30 PM »
I have two identical monitors connected to a MDD with a nVidia Ti 4600. As I'm having some issues with the DVI connector, one of the monitors are connected via VGA ( the other remains connected via DVI ) . And Just realised that the DVI accept 1344 x 756 but not the VGA. And both have a really different resolution options.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2016, 01:19:05 PM »
  The available resolutions should be determined almost entirely by the card itself in tandem with what it recognizes about the monitor via the sense pins (VGA/ADC-analog), EDID (DVI/ADC-digital/HDMI), or similar methods for TV-out adapters, but it will also only allow resolutions and refresh rates the video card is itself capable of.  As an example, most of my Mac video cards are old enough to not support 16:9 ratios or other odd combinations.  Oddly enough there was one Nubus card ever that was actually supposed to be capable of 1920x1080, but perhaps I'm drifting off topic there.

MacOS Plus is right.

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »
I have two identical monitors connected to a MDD with a nVidia Ti 4600. As I'm having some issues with the DVI connector, one of the monitors are connected via VGA ( the other remains connected via DVI ) . And Just realised that the DVI accept 1344 x 756 but not the VGA. And both have a really different resolution options.

Final update. Yesterday, I have searched over piles of computer junks I have and I have found a DVI cable. And yes 1360x768 and correct monitor ID can be attained by using DVI instead of VGA. I have now 1360x768 and is it just perception but things do look sharper than before?

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2016, 06:50:52 AM »

@MacOS Plus,

Would you care to share your copy of the ATI Displays control panel? I cannot find it on my control panels folder, probably the reason why I can not be able to open up ATI Displays from menu bar menu.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2016, 09:40:25 AM »

Final update. Yesterday, I have searched over piles of computer junks I have and I have found a DVI cable. And yes 1360x768 and correct monitor ID can be attained by using DVI instead of VGA. I have now 1360x768 and is it just perception but things do look sharper than before?

i have told you before :

Try the DVI connector, it is  more reliable usually and the image quality is better.

;D

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2016, 09:47:18 AM »
Yes, I wanted to, but that time a DVI cable is not available. I have to go over a pile of junk to look for the DVI cable.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2016, 10:25:40 AM »
  The "ATI Displays" control panel I have is version 3.2.1, which appears to be the final version.  I got it from the installer "ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Software Update November 2002" downloaded from http://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_Mac/#8500.  I am using that in combination with the other files from the Jan 2005 update.  There is a note on that page saying the 9200 isn't supposed to be supported by the ATI Displays control panel, but clearly this isn't fully true since the retail card I have with the existing ROM version does work with it.  There's another note that says you may get a black screen on first boot but then it will work after a reboot.  I've never experienced that with any variant of the ATI cards I own that were referenced in the note.  This may or may not have been partially related to your initial problem, but I think we've ruled that out by now.

One additional observation I'll make when dealing with LCDs with odd resolutions - Most of these were actually intended to be televisions.  I just picked up a second-hand Sony LCD TV that has a native resolution of 1280x768 but will accept and scale to fit 1920x1080i from the component or HDMI connectors.  BUT, if you connect a computer using the VGA port on it the max resolution detected and allowed by the video card is the native 1280x768.  You must use the HDMI connector if you want the higher input resolutions available.  I just tried it hooked up to OS X via a DVI-to-HDMI cable and the video card then offers all the available resolutions including all the interlaced television modes.  The irony is that the manual for the TV expressly said NOT to connect a computer to the HDMI input, but obviously this was nonsense.  A lot of older video cards will not support high-resolution interlaced modes, but the ATI Radeon 9800 I'm testing with does.  This is a fine example of the potential differences in available modes and detection on certain LCD monitors with multiple input connector formats, and it is a clear warning to always thoroughly test all connection options before blaming drivers or the video card.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »
  The available resolutions should be determined almost entirely by the card itself in tandem with what it recognizes about the monitor

MacOS Plus is right.

not at all, with most monitors you get like two times the possible resolutions shown to mac os 9 when you use third party software - some monitors wont work with the apple control panel at all.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »
  Yes, obviously it is possible to use additional software to allow forcing settings that the card and or monitor don't report as available/supported.  Sometimes that will work and sometimes it won't.  It doesn't change the fact that the default options presented to the average user are based on what is encoded in the card and monitor ROMs or sense pins.  Overriding those predefined resolution tables wasn't really part of the discussion, but this would likely not have been relevant if the OP had never been able access a visible resolution first in order to make changes.  The monitors control panel only shows settings it's told are supposed to be available.

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:37 AM »
Below are screenshots of the ATI Displays. It says "Powered by unknown ATI Graphics". Is it just normal?

@MacOS Plus, can you compare the ROM version between yours and mine? I am assuming that my cards ROM is older than yours. 

It says, gfx memory to be 64MB, whereas on the system profiler it says 128MB.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2016, 08:52:08 AM »
Your ROM: 113-A27502-124
  My ROM: 113-A27502-127

The ROM you currently have is the last one 'officially' distributed by ATI for end-user updating.  The 127 version was provided on a number of retail cards pre-installed.  This is probably the only reason the ATI software doesn't fully recognize your card.

If you are willing to go the 'unofficial' route, the 127 ROM can be found and flashed using alternate methods.  What is critically important is determining whether or not your card is a legit Mac version or a PC version re-flashed.  The PC ones use a 64k ROM chip while the Mac ones use a 128k ROM chip.  If you flash the larger ROM image into the smaller chip it won't work and you would need access to a PC computer to put the old ROM back in.

See the following link and read through the discussion in detail:

http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10039&st=15

More information and ROMs here:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

There's actually an even later ROM for the 9200 available from that site but I don't think I feel the need to try it given that my card is working properly with the stock 127 ROM.  I would strongly suggest that you don't flash your card via the unofficial route if you don't have a PC available as a fallback.  If you flash on the Mac and the ROM is not compatible or truncated you won't get video any more on the Mac if it is your only card.  It is easier on a PC, and sometimes the only way possible in this circumstance, to use a second video card for your monitor while running the ROM flash.  That way you always have one working screen no matter what happens with the 9200 card.  If you're not comfortable taking the risk then don't do it.

Oddly, even the final August 2005 ROM updater for Radeon has just the 124 version as the maximum included.  Anything later has to be flashed another way as I mentioned.

One final note - My 9200 card still shows as "unrecognized" in ATI Displays, but acceleration is enabled and working with the 127 ROM.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:58:18 AM by MacOS Plus »

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2016, 10:22:17 AM »
  BTW, does anyone know what changes or feature additions were part of the 201 ROM for the Radeon 9200?  I can't find mention of this anywhere.  Also, are the changes in features only applicable to OS X?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:38:28 AM by MacOS Plus »

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
Your ROM: 113-A27502-124
  My ROM: 113-A27502-127

The ROM you currently have is the last one 'officially' distributed by ATI for end-user updating.  The 127 version was provided on a number of retail cards pre-installed.  This is probably the only reason the ATI software doesn't fully recognize your card.

If you are willing to go the 'unofficial' route, the 127 ROM can be found and flashed using alternate methods.  What is critically important is determining whether or not your card is a legit Mac version or a PC version re-flashed.  The PC ones use a 64k ROM chip while the Mac ones use a 128k ROM chip.  If you flash the larger ROM image into the smaller chip it won't work and you would need access to a PC computer to put the old ROM back in.

See the following link and read through the discussion in detail:

http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10039&st=15

More information and ROMs here:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

There's actually an even later ROM for the 9200 available from that site but I don't think I feel the need to try it given that my card is working properly with the stock 127 ROM.  I would strongly suggest that you don't flash your card via the unofficial route if you don't have a PC available as a fallback.  If you flash on the Mac and the ROM is not compatible or truncated you won't get video any more on the Mac if it is your only card.  It is easier on a PC, and sometimes the only way possible in this circumstance, to use a second video card for your monitor while running the ROM flash.  That way you always have one working screen no matter what happens with the 9200 card.  If you're not comfortable taking the risk then don't do it.

Oddly, even the final August 2005 ROM updater for Radeon has just the 124 version as the maximum included.  Anything later has to be flashed another way as I mentioned.

One final note - My 9200 card still shows as "unrecognized" in ATI Displays, but acceleration is enabled and working with the 127 ROM.

My ROM is older than yours, so maybe that is the reason why the ATI Graphic Accelerator extension from 2005 will not work. I have an FW800 MDD, can I use that to flash the PCI 9200?

I remember buying this card from OWC, so I would guess that it is a Mac Edition?

<url>https://eshop.macsales.com/item/ati%20technologies/100436011/</url>
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:06:40 PM by Nameci »

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2016, 09:52:13 PM »
  Yes, but the necessary program for doing the unofficial flashing requires you to boot OS X to run the process.  After that you can return to OS 9.

See this link:

http://thomas.perrier.name/graphiccelerator.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:03:34 PM by MacOS Plus »

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2016, 10:03:45 PM »
  Yes, but I believe the necessary program for doing the unofficial flashing requires you to boot OS X to run the process.  After that you can return to OS 9.

I have dl'ed graphicellerator to flash it on osx, wish me luck. lol. -afro-

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2016, 12:52:59 AM »
Success!

Put in ATI Radeon 9200 PCI to one of the available slots on my FW800 MDD DP1.42 running Tiger. Downloaded the ROM from "themacelite" and Graphicellerator (as advised by @MacOS Plus - thanks man), boot on safe mode and from the app folder run "Run me first". Open up graphicellerator, open up ROM file to load. Run multiflasher, restart and boot normally.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »
  Enjoy! ;)

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
Thanks, I did, really!

Besides the fact that I have enjoyed using OS 9, I have enjoyed the processes to make this card work as per my expectations. I have a little OCD, I want all the stuff I put on my computers to perform on their full potential. I floor the gas pedal once in a while... lol.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
  Yes, obviously it is possible to use additional software to allow forcing settings that the card and or monitor don't report as available/supported.  Sometimes that will work and sometimes it won't.  It doesn't change the fact that the default options presented to the average user are based on what is encoded in the card and monitor ROMs or sense pins.  Overriding those predefined resolution tables wasn't really part of the discussion, but this would likely not have been relevant if the OP had never been able access a visible resolution first in order to make changes.  The monitors control panel only shows settings it's told are supposed to be available.

thanks for a clean roundup.

maybe one day someone will make an operating system which does not always attempt to hide stuff from users at first.

but to be fair, the OS can of course not know what resolutions will be availbel fpr this monitor and this card using DVI as long as DVI isnt connected. problematic by design, but somehow unavoidable with monitors newer than the card. :)

Offline Apfel

• Enthusiast
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »
First of all hello to everyone,
I came to this forum with a new hope for my Radeon 9200 mac edition pci 128mb. Unfortunately what I believed to be the hope for it (the ultra rare ATI july 2005 update) wasn't. Here's what happens: The card shows perfect picture but every Radeon 9200 compatible driver refuses to load and the system freezes upon showing the desktop. Could it be a damaged card? My system is: B&W G3 with a G4 400mhz original from "Yikes!" overclocked to 450mhz with proper voltage tweak, 1GB memory, 80GB + 40GB HDs, LG DVD-RAM, 2 Voodoo2 8MB in SLI, using a Radeon 7000 64MB which is working perfectly. I tried removing the voodoo2 cards, using it on the 33mhz slots but everything failed. I don't what else I can do for it to work as it's claimed to be 100% compatible with my system. Any help is appreciated.
Sorry I am digging out this old thread, but for completeness, may I ask: do you remember, if that desktop freezing lasted? I have both a mac pci 9200 128MB and a flashed 9200 AGP 128MB and I had the desktop freeze with the flashed one as well with the mac retail one. But somewhen I noticed, if you wait long enough the card will somewhat "awake" and you can, for example see that an item you cicked 1-2minutes ago will no react. After this everything will react immediately. So I won't give up on that card too early, if you still possess it and want to use it.

Also the cards might work under 9.1, but they didn't under 9.2.2

Here is what I did (scroll down to "I succeeded"). http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,303.msg780.html#msg780

The problem is not only the ATI drivers / ROM. It is also coming from, when you installed an OS 9 version from another Mac (in my Case from iMac G3 DV original orange 9.0.4 CD that had been updated to 9.1 and then copied to the G4 and applied the update). The iMac G3 version wouldn't run on the G4 with the 9.2.2 update and the ATI 9200 (but with the ATI 128pro and other cards such as the Nvidia MX2 and 4).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:48:41 PM by Apfel »

Offline Nameci

• Enthusiast
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2017, 04:31:10 AM »
Success!

Put in ATI Radeon 9200 PCI to one of the available slots on my FW800 MDD DP1.42 running Tiger. Downloaded the ROM from "themacelite" and Graphicellerator (as advised by @MacOS Plus - thanks man), boot on safe mode and from the app folder run "Run me first". Open up graphicellerator, open up ROM file to load. Run multiflasher, restart and boot normally.

What gives? Same card, just noticed it recently. 128MB now its 64MB?

Offline filipetolhuizen

• Consistant Contributor
  • new to the forums
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2017, 09:01:16 PM »
Mine only started to work properly with the updated Mac OS 9.2.2 from here.

Offline Mike Richardson

« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2017, 12:06:13 AM »
Can the Radeon 9200 on an eMac be flashed with any of this new ROM? Does flashing then allow acceleration in OS 9?

eMac has a very old ROM, like, maybe version 106? Horribly old it seems? It never got any updates either?