Author Topic: OMS in Logic 5&6 shows MIDI only at the Sum Input, not in the 8 OMS Inputs  (Read 12116 times)

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
I use version 4 which does not have this problem. Posting this just out of curiosity to see if others have seen this. Can anyone confirm that OMS delivers MIDI to the first 8 physical inputs on an MDD? I'm using Keyspan and Stealth ports in emulation mode. I think the machine has to have real modem and printer ports for Logic to function correctly using OMS. One as to use OMS with these serial devices. However, 4.7 does not have this strange behavior.

supernova777

im pretty sure u cant use both a pci serial + the stealth/modem with oms at the same time
try using one or the other not both at the same time and it should work
i read something about this strange problem recently

also i wonder if the megawolf drivers work work for the keyspan?
this replaces part of the oms config to see the serial ports on the pci card as real modem/printer ports like you said..

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
To clarify.... I don't use them on the same MDD. I'm just saying I've tried both. Can anyone confirm my question above?

supernova777

ok so your saying the problem is not limited to the keyspan pci device itself.. right gotcha.

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
Correct ChrisNova777... I just now checked on my 9500, and exactly the same issue exists. Logic's own drivers work fine on the 9500 because it has real physical serial ports. But OMS does not read any input except at the Sum input cable. How can this be? So.... Can anyone confirm OMS individual inputs on ANY computer with Logic 5 or 6? If you can confirm....What is your setup? I have troubleshot this countless times over many years, thinking it was the 6.4 file on Apple's site that was the cause. But apparently it really does not work. I use Logic 4, so its no big deal..... It's just one of those bizarre phenomena....

supernova777

i have a few macs with serial solutions..
stealth card,
griffin g4port
and megawolf pci
(soon a keyspan card aswell)

and midi interfaces by opcode
studio 64xtc
studio 128x
studio 3
and also a motu mtp av

i also have logic 5-6 usb dongle (for audio,not platinum, oops)
so i can definately look into this soon.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
If you have real modem and printer ports it still doesn't work? I'd guess the Keyspan had something to do with it but it looks like you squashed that already. It must be Logic 5/6 then.

Didn't you say that even when you turn OMS off it still won't work? Maybe FreeMidi is the cause of this...

I'll check once my Keyspan gets here.

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
Logic 5&6 only receive midi in to the physical input sum.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
This is rather interesting. I'm gonna check when my card gets here (tomorrow morning).

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
Probably a practical limitation in the transition to OSX at that time. Who knows?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
You're right, this just plain ain't working. Only the sum works. You say this works in Logic 4? You used to be able to create a modem and printer object in Logic but I don't think you can anymore.

I also tried to use my Express XT without OMS, but not even the Sum would work there. I'll use OMS in Logic anyway.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Hey, were you able to get Logic to work with your Keyspan without OMS? I think you have to select "port 1 - port 64" in environment objects or something. I'm probably gonna use OMS 100% of the time in Logic and that works fine, but I'm curious just in case someday I'll want to disable it for some reason.

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
No it does not work without OMS in Any Logic version, neither will Diver... sum only by design in 5&6.

supernova777

sorry i havent had a chance to try this.. i will try to give a go. and dive into the environment guide i posted

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
I tried. Doesn't work. He's right.

supernova777

i have a different card then you guys, the megawolf pci.
which is why id like to do the test

could either of you walk me through how to test?
im not so hot with logic yet i have bought books but not read ..
i cant even figure out how to make a midi track right now lol
:)
too many different user interfaces to remember!
this one i havent learned ever yet..

but i have logic updated to 5.5 and i have the studio 128x running oms off a megawolf remus 2 port serial pci

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
I don't think this works in either 5 or 6, regardless if OMS is turned on or not. I'm also not sure if this will work at all unless you've got actual serial/modem ports. Maybe coachla can chime in again.

supernova777

yes but u said u tried ... what did u try?
where did u look this up?
in the environment object right?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
The individual cable outputs on the physical input object don't send any data, only the Sum output works. That's on Logic 5 and 6, with or without OMS disabled.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
By the way, a lot of those Logic files posted on this site are either the wrong files or they're corrupt. The 4.7 update is actually an EV88 thing. For some reason when enabler originally uploaded those files they all got corrupted somehow. But thanks to Macintosh Garden we've still got ourselves covered...