Author Topic: Anyone whether these would work for macos9?  (Read 5620 times)

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: Anyone whether these would work for macos9?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:16 AM »
I would buy a MIX rig instead for serveral reasons. To begin with, two of those DSP cards are as powerful as one of the MIX cards.
MIX cards can be found for as little as $50 or so on ebay, and interfaces around the same.
For the second thing, in a PTIII system you are limited to 32 mono tracks or 16 stereo tracks. On the MIX systems, it's double that.
The MIX system can also handle 24bit audio, which the PTIII can not.

Here you have a MIX Core and Farm card with a 5-node TDM cable so you can expand the system with more Farm cards as you move along.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digidesign-Mix-Core-And-Farm-Cards-For-Protools-W-ribbon-Cable-/171365339035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e62b8f9b&_uhb=1
This rig has the same amount of processing power as the system you posted.

Together with this interface, it makes for a great system. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Avid-Digidesign-888-Audio-MC-Avid-I-O-Interface-/271367770983?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item3f2ec79367&_uhb=1

All the software, including ALOT of plugins can be found here on Mac OS 9 Lives :)
Read my post about buying a MIX system to get some insight to how it all is built: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=435.0

To sum it up; the MIX system is twice the processing power and twice the track count for the same amount of money or less.

As for the learning curve, I think it's worth it. But it's up to you as an individual to make that decition.
I work in big studios from time to time, where Pro Tools still has a strong hold, so learning it has really been worth the while.
PT is easy. Two windows for everything you need to do :)

-Knezzen
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
An interesting read Knezzen - tell me would that expansion chassis that is on the web on my link could that be used from a MDD so you could have 1 scsi card running 1 mix and 3 farm cards? would you get the same throughput from the 1 scsi slot than using all 4 pci slots for 1 mix card and 3 farm cards system in a MDD?

Thanks

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »
An interesting read Knezzen - tell me would that expansion chassis that is on the web on my link could that be used from a MDD so you could have 1 scsi card running 1 mix and 3 farm cards? would you get the same throughput from the 1 scsi slot than using all 4 pci slots for 1 mix card and 3 farm cards system in a MDD?

It depends on the chassis. I haven't worked with SBS chassis at all.
One of my Magma PCI expansion chassis does not work with the MDD, but the other one does. It has something to do with conflicting PCI controller chips.

I would not recommend putting anything other than Digidesign cards in the chassis. You will get alot of problems if you put a SCSI card in the chassis. The chassis is connected to the computer with one PCI card. So when you are maxing out a Pro Tools project, your SCSI access speeds will suffer ALOT.

I recommend putting harddrive controllers etc inside the computer and Digidesign cards inside the chassis. It's the best way to go :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:09:05 AM »
In a HD-rig the "Accel" cards are the "farm" cards. Just like in a MIX rig the main cards are called "Core".

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
In a HD-rig the "Accel" cards are the "farm" cards. Just like in a MIX rig the main cards are called "Core".

Thanks for that.

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 12:29:22 AM »
this protools hardware stuff still confuses the crap out of me .. even after knez "explains" i still have no clue. lol

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 02:24:37 AM »
I feel much better now Chris  ;D

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 06:43:03 AM »
I feel much better now Chris  ;D

LOL yea its all chinese to me bro;)