Author Topic: we have earlier versions of logic? why not cubase?  (Read 29375 times)

supernova777

we have earlier versions of logic? why not cubase?
« on: June 20, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
just noticing..
why dont we have version 3.5 of cubase ?
or versions prior to this?

the logic early versions will work on os9 but
what about the early versions of cubase?

(cubase 2.5 pictured)

early cubase macintosh versions according to wikipedia-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 1.0 Macintosh1990 - Cubase 1.0 is released for the Apple Macintosh computers
Cubase Audio1991 - Macintosh, this version relied on the TDM system from Digidesign for the audio portion
Cubase Audio 3.01996 - TDM for Macintosh Cubase Audio 3.0 TDM had up to 16 Audio Tracks with TDM Support for up to 48 Physical Audio Tracks. Cubase Audio 3.0 TDM contained all the new features of Cubase Score 2.0. It also had OMS II Support and MovieManager Support.
Cubase VST3.0 Macintosh1996 - up to 32 tracks of digital audio. Up to 128 realtime EQs. Professional effects rack with 4 multi-effect processors. Plug in interface for external plug-ins, allowing external audio technology to be integrated into the Cubase environment. Professional score printing, up to 60 staves per page, 8-voice polyphony. Had a bug limiting memory in the host system to 64 MB on the PowerMac. Was eventually resolved with a patch.

would be cool to track down a version of cubase audio 3.0 (1996) ? considering it has oms support?
theres a pretty big gap in the information there too. 1991 -1995?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:01:25 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: we have earlier versions of logic? why not cubase?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
I'll take a look...
I'll take a look, again. LOL
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
The old versions of Cubase which I have:

Cubase 2.5 (1992)
Cubase Lite 1.0 (1993)
Cubasis 1.0 (1995)
Cubase Audio XT (1996)
Cubasis AV (1996)
Cubase Score 2.0 (1996)
Cubase Audio VST (1997)

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 02:20:19 AM »
Take a look in my uploaded archive....Lots of old Cubase versions & more.
Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 02:32:40 AM »
im particularly interested in the 91 92 93 94 versions of logic, cubase + pro tools
due to my own interest in electronic/house tracks that were made in that time period
to use the same tools that some of my favourite tracks were made with for instance would
give me great joy + wonder;)

but 1992 - 1993 most of all!

do either of u have any experience with these early 90s versions working on os 9?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 02:52:26 AM »
I'll upload those to My FTP folder.
these all work? on g4's??????
this page -> https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grenier-du-mac.net%2Ffiches%2Fapplications%2FCubase25.htm&edit-text=&act=url
says system 6 thru to 8.6?

Most of them startup and quit normally in my G4 with Mac Os 9.2. But I haven't fully tested it, nor at his time (1990 - 1996) because in this time, I was using mainly Coda Finale and Ballade.

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 05:15:49 AM »
well it seems to load instantly + fine.. I will test further asap!

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 05:42:26 AM »
do either of u have any experience with these early 90s versions working on os 9?

No but I've worked with all versions before I owned my Imac G3. However if you want to work with Cubase on a G4 like the way most of us did in the 90's.......Use Cubase 5 without audio/vst. Really, the midi-part has not changed that much. E.g. just load the arp. and you'll be back in time.

Greetz,
Arjen

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 05:56:06 AM »
arjen of course i will use that but at the same time.. i want to see for my own educational wonder, what this looked like way back in 92-93;)
closer to the beginning;) these apps werent written for g4's thats for sure.. whereas version 5 most definately was so of course it will be better on a g4..
the 1992-1993 versions must have been coded for 68k processor running the very first versions of system 7 + system 6.

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 02:25:24 AM »

I am a pure cubasian since Atari years, so I like a lot this idea.

I have actually installed on my MacOs 8.6 working copies of:

- Cubase Score 3.0
- Cubasis
- Cubase VST/24 4.1
- Cubase Audio 3.01 VST
- Cubase Audio XT 3.0

The following opens and quits but no OMS MIDI support, so no midi out data for me:
- Cubase 2.5

Still I have not tested a OMS version compatible with MIDI MANAGER that maybe allow all versions work on my system. Maybe interesting only for testing purposes, anyway...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »
We have a Cubase 5 VST/24 and a Cubase 5 VST/32 here. Were these released simultaneously and the 32bit floating point version was released separately? I wonder if that's the only difference between VST/24 and VST/32.

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 06:03:09 PM »
We have a Cubase 5 VST/24 and a Cubase 5 VST/32 here. Were these released simultaneously and the 32bit floating point version was released separately? I wonder if that's the only difference between VST/24 and VST/32.

i think they were virtually identical except that steinberg sold them seperatley and at different prices

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »
I didn't find any info on it. All I see is that VST 4.0 and below was VST/24 and VST 5 was VST/32. Wikipedia doesn't list it either. Hmm...

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »

The difference explained by SOS:
"Although all three versions of Cubase 5.0 now support both 16-bit and 24-bit audio, such is the pace of technology that the flagship version has now moved on to support 32-bit floating-point files for recording, mixdown and export. If you have the best 24-bit converters your recorded audio will have a dynamic range of perhaps 115dB, but the benefit of the 32-bit float format is massive amounts of headroom for mixing. Overload is now nearly impossible as long as the master fader is pulled down low enough to ensure that you never exceed 0dBFS on the output to your soundcard. This also benefits VST Instruments, which can generate large transients.
A further option in VST/32 is TrueTape recording, which simulates tape saturation for those who are still convinced that digital is cold and hard. It operates at the point when a 16-bit or 24-bit recording is converted into the 32-bit float format, and its variable Drive control will generate subtle amounts of extra harmonics during the recording process, or up to 24dB of saturation if you want to overdose on analogue artefacts.

VST/32 also supports up to 128 audio channels, compared with the 72 of the other two models in the range, and it includes the famed Apogee dithering algorithm for final dithering down to 16-bit during mastering. This, in fact, has fewer controls than the dithering available in VST and Score, with just Normal and Low settings, along with an Autoblack button to mute dither noise during silent passages, and works by placing an algorithmically generated 'clump' of energy at around 22kHz. It is claimed to be more than just a new flavour of dithered noise, and the algorithm is used widely in top-end systems such as Soundscape and Pro Tools.".

Internal resolution in all versions is 32 bit.

Greetz,
Arjen

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep00/articles/steinbergcubase.htm
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:15:41 PM by arjen_1 »

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »
arjen of course i will use that but at the same time.. i want to see for my own educational wonder, what this looked like way back in 92-93;)
closer to the beginning;) these apps werent written for g4's thats for sure.. whereas version 5 most definately was so of course it will be better on a g4..
the 1992-1993 versions must have been coded for 68k processor running the very first versions of system 7 + system 6.

Yeah I understand. I've worked with the earliest Cubase versions on my Macintosh ED (512KB memory!). And to me the fun thing about Cubase was that it just didn't change. Besides the obvious change of esthetics; the core remained... even in Cubase VST 5. You can find parts of the program that are just untouched. The arp is one of those. Check for yourself.  ;D

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »
 8)

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 12:21:23 AM »
LOL.....cool!

supernova777

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 01:01:32 AM »
The following opens and quits but no OMS MIDI support, so no midi out data for me:
- Cubase 2.5

maybe this version requires a 68k cpu?

what the hell did they do for midi without oms?
oh yes. midi manager ? for os7 ? right?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 01:41:18 AM »

they came out together and indeed the audiofile resolution is the only difference. and the "truetape" input-plug-in for that matter.
insert arbitrary signature here