Author Topic: OMG... Absolute MIDI Madness !!!  (Read 24499 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
OMG... Absolute MIDI Madness !!!
« on: June 19, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
OK, this guy is very talented and Hilarious...

http://www.midimadness.com/#!video-demos/cee5

If you think we are Old-School with using Mac OS 9... this guy is using Voyetra SEQ Gold Plus in DOS ! and making tracks for people in 2014 with it.

Brought back tons of memories, I still have this program in it's original box... I used to do the Computers back in the day for John Maestro and the Brooklyn Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Maestro_%26_the_Brooklyn_Bridge

And I setup all his (Johnny) PCs (16 Mhz. 386 PCs) with Voyetra to do all his album recordings.

This MidiMadness guy is a total crackup, he can do a fully produced track (without vocals) in under 5 minutes !
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:02:53 PM by superNova777 »

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
Re: OMG... Absolute MIDI Madeness !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:50:26 AM »
If you think we are Old-School with using Mac OS 9... this guy is using Voyetra SEQ Gold Plus in DOS ! and making tracks for people in 2014 with it.

True inspiration! If you consider music as art and technology as an instrument; what is more important... The fact that your instrument is developed in 2014 or that you can actually play your instrument? I've never come across a violin player who thinks of a Stradivarius as outdated.  ;) Thankfully it's all about talent.
Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:29:56 AM »
disk that was bundled with soundblaster pro package circa 1990-1992
http://s558.photobucket.com/user/colony55/media/voyplusdisk.jpg.html

manual for voyetra spg can be found here
http://support.turtlebeach.com/index.php?CategoryID=1133

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_p4IgBD5oE[/youtube]

great point that mac os 9 wasnt so oldschool... and really was only in use from 99-2003
but those years were enough to make a big impact..
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:40:19 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:31:35 AM »
Chris,

Back in the day… Like 1989/1990 Voyetra was a small, innovative company of it's own (not bought by turtle beach yet) located in Pelham, New York.  The flagship interface the called the V-24s had 2 MIDI Ins and 4 MIDI Outs (64 possible channels) and it also generated and read SYMPTE time code (which was audio based digital time code format…sequencer morse code for clocking Tape machines and MIDI devices together)…

Now it was very interesting how MIDI and Audio (Vocals, Guitars) were done in those days, I remember working on 3 major label demo projects that were producing artist showcases with Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold Version 4.02 with DOS PCs that had V24S Interfaces; the process was as such…

1) On a 16 Track Tascam Reel to Reel Tape machine, we would "Stripe" the Tape on Track 16 with SYMPE Code generated from the Voyetra V24s interface; if you listened to it (which was a crazy mistake), it sounded like some high digital pitches (more annoying than modem handshaking) … so after Striping the entire reel (30 minutes of Sympte), Track 16 was never sent back to the mixer

2) Now the cool part… in Voyetra, enter the Start time of the song you were working on and it would "chase lock" in perfect time to the Tascam Reel to reel by "reading" the SYPTE time code that was being fed into the V24 Interface via track 16 of the Tape machine.  All external MIDI devices, Drum Machines, Multiple Synths, Electric Pianos, etc. were being played by the corresponding virtual MIDI tracks of Voyetra simultaneously and fed into a large mixing console (And NOT send to tape at all)

3) Now, while all the MIDI stuff was playing into the board, audio tracks were recorded by arming tracks on the 16 track reel to reel and the vocalist or guitarist would hear all the MIDI stuff being monitored and play/sing along with their track and it was bussed and recorded to tape.

So the end result ? 

4) MIXDOWN: You would get 14 Tracks of audio on the reel to reel (Track 16 was SYMPTE, and 15 was left black since the SYMPTE was so strong it could bleed sonically onto track 15) and the final Mixdown would be done in real time through a large console; with the tape machine playing all audio tracks while Voyetra locked to the SYMPE track and played all the external MIDI stuff… all being fed simultaneously (in perfect sync) through the mixer where each synth, Vocal, Guitar, Bass Track, and drum machine was EQed with outboard effects and Compressors applied; all being mixed onto a stereo 2 track reel to reel.

Damn, I'm showing my age… But at least I have my hair

https://www.facebook.com/SocalStingers  (2nd from the left)

PS: Just found my copy of Sequencer Plus Gold in the Garage in it's original Box with 3.5" 720K Floppies… ebay ?

Offline Midimadness

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:39:06 PM »
Hi this is the midimadness guy ;-)

Thank you all so much for your kind words. 
I have been using voyetra since 86 and haven't stopped. 
I just can't stopped I'm hooked !!!!! Hehehhe

Shahe

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
simplicity and limited possibilities – two options not to be underrated.

if you have 1000 tracks and 2000 plug-ins, 25 hardware controllers, and a full featured analog mastering studio, it is under circumstances far more difficult to get something done than with a two-track system, which only allows you to play notes between C2 and C5, without velocity, and the extra option to choose between "piano" and "sawtooth".

with my various sequencer systems, such as 110.modular, i tried a compromise: when building the software, i am happy with the endless options. but each of the modules only offers a very basic process, so that you can explore these basic processes within their strict limits when using it to compose music.

my favorite software of all times remains the microwave I editor for atari.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 01:45:10 AM »
"keep it simple and take it to the max"
MacTron
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »
Shahe,

It is one thing to own a sword and quite a different thing to become a Samurai with it… you have obviously mastered Voyetra as well as the talents to create a composition in record time.  You are a true inspiration to many !

Although we may not be as "speedy" as you, we will accept that the end result… even though slow and steady… will provide personal satisfaction.  To create music for ourselves (and hopefully others) from codified thought is indeed a amazing benefit from being alive in the age of music and machine. 

It is ironic that many popular songs in the world today, a world so rich in tools for musicians, lack the ability to truly entertain the listener with the passion that so many hits of yesterday did.  There is no mystery why so many genres still pay homage to recording artists and songs that are quite ancient by today's standards… while the "new" songs fade away pretty quickly… it is the fact, that these older artists (all without auto tune) sang their hearts out and wrote unique material for the time.  Surely there are some very talented people alive today, but all these great computer recording tools have made it harder to weed out what "Sounds like a hit" and what is truly a lasting composition.  I guess none of that really maters to the recording enthusiast… I think many of us just enjoy the journey of trying to create a song that will stand the test of time, even if we never actually get there. Our sanity will survive in merely the process of trying; to lock out the world, even for a few moments and concentrate on a melody or edit a drum loop.  I strongly believe we have the cheapest form of self therapy ever discovered :)

supernova777

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:27:00 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 03:03:25 AM »
This is primarily why I use an old Atari for sequencing. Rock stable MIDI timing and insane simplicity.
It just gets the job done, and fast, without any fuzz :)

Running C-Lab Notator SL on the Atari. Logics grandaddy. Less is most certainly more.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »
Yeah... Syntho said his old school 9600 is incredible and Rock solid with MIDI

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 09:04:51 AM »
trying to find more info on this voyetra software

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »

hey syntho are u using the opcode directly into the 9600 built in midi ports?
or are u using the keyspan sx pro?

supernova777

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGUrQsJ7_U#t=70[/youtube]

cakewalk for DOS ;)

interesting to note that the author of this video claims to be running it via an emulator..
whereas the mac os 9 emulator, sheepshaver, has no access to hardware, the dosbox emulator
seems more than capable!! sheepshaver! come on get your ass in gear!

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLgX4RAYAo[/youtube]

ive read of another early dos program here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream_Tracker

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »
Thanks for that Video, I am so GUI spoiled these days; but I still have many fond memories of the DOS based stuff, it worked, plain and simply, and trouble shooting took minutes. Today's DAWs have come so far and are truly amazing, but if there is a snag or a ghost in the machine, fixing a bug (even though they are rare) can take days, weeks, or simply no solution at all. 

IMO, that is why OS 9 is still so liked; it is that intermediary OS where the GUI looks like art (compared to a Text based OS), and yet trouble-shooting remains fairly simply since it lacks the complexity of OS X.  There is still a lot of manual control and customization over the interface that can really benefit the user that plans to use the computer for a specific purpose... this lends itself to a stable environment, that is easy to configure, duplicate and maintain without the issues that arrive from integration dependencies, like when upgrading to Yosemite and BAM.... your audio interface and/or DAW stops working

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »
if the developers of mac os were really smart they would change the driver model to be able to have levels of redundancy.. or at least give more detailed feedback as to why something isnt working.... instead of some stupid 1 line sentence as an error message.. alot of people are up on their kext patching these days.. thanks to the osx86 community mostly... but those people are far from the majority..
its so stupid that a os upgrade breaks compatibility for an audio interface.. it is maddenning and yes tbh thats my number one reason for not being 100% all about the latets technology because theyve made it the least desirable place to be
 for hardware compatibility

supernova777

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »

this also goes along with what i read from the hinton instruments uk website
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1198.msg4738#msg4738
re: the early-mid 90s macs that had issues with serial DMA + the mid-late 90s macs that followed
having an improved ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuits) ???

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 12:54:25 AM »
4) MIXDOWN: You would get 14 Tracks of audio on the reel to reel (Track 16 was SYMPTE, and 15 was left black since the SYMPTE was so strong it could bleed sonically onto track 15) and the final Mixdown would be done in real time through a large console; with the tape machine playing all audio tracks while Voyetra locked to the SYMPE track and played all the external MIDI stuff… all being fed simultaneously (in perfect sync) through the mixer where each synth, Vocal, Guitar, Bass Track, and drum machine was EQed with outboard effects and Compressors applied; all being mixed onto a stereo 2 track reel to reel.

Damn, I'm showing my age… But at least I have my hair

This is STILL exactly what I do with StudioVision except i have only 6 tracks of audio on a Fostex E-8 (though I actually did squeeze seven once with no guard track). However, I also have digital audio tracks in SVP. So the tape audio, computer audio and hardware MIDI all synchronized, dumps into my Allen-heath board and mixes to two-track on my - wait for it - Ampex AG440B.

I, however, have lost most of my hair…

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: OMG... Absolute MIDI Madness !!!
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »
Awesome Gary  ;)  Great Workflow

-afro- My Hair