Author Topic: Custom VST host app  (Read 9651 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Custom VST host app
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »

if some of you have a special request for VST host app i will gladly try to program you one.

Thank you is very tempting offer...
ImpOSCar standalone can be used as "basis concept" and a good starting point. But with some extra capabilities:
- Better management of Programs, Banks and Global Session (correctly opening and saving them).
- Record audio to file.
- Apple Midi Manager Support. (There is absolute none app that support VSTi and Apple MIDI Manager at the same time AFAIK)

Probably we can add some other request for this project...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Custom VST host app
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:55:41 AM »
midi manager: not a chance.
recording: nice idea.
presets and banks: selfevident.
session: how is that working in the NI app? (is it just remembering what plug-ins were loaded or some more info such as audio midi settings?)

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
midi manager: not a chance.
why?  just curious...
recording: nice idea.
presets and banks: selfevident.
session: how is that working in the NI app? (is it just remembering what plug-ins were loaded or some more info such as audio midi settings?)
session: restoring all the synth setings as it were the last time you have used it...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:15:13 PM »
too old? midi manager is system 6 originated when i am not wrong, and apple dropped support for it with PPC.
max/msp would not support that unless i write a driver in machine language myself.

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20010820170950/http://www.hinton.demon.co.uk/index.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20010812203015/http://www.hinton.demon.co.uk/mac/macmidi.html

Whatever Happened to MIDI Manager?

MIDI Manager was Apple's OS Extension for supporting multiple MIDI applications, but it was never finished. When Apple started they obtained the right to use the name from the Beatles' Apple Records company and part of the contract was that they must never use the trademark on products "adapted for use in the recording or reproduction of music or of performing artist works". When Apple Records' lawyers discovered what MIDI stands for they pounced and a lengthy and bitter legal battle ensued, work on MIDI Manager ceased and it was eventually abandonded. Apple had to settle for a rather large sum and the only thing left from this episode is a System Alert of a xylophone recording called "Sosumi"...

http://web.archive.org/web/20010812203659/http://www.hinton.demon.co.uk/mac/macsoft.html

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »
sorry if it sounds like propaganda but tokyo always had the best preset, preferences, and setup system. it is straight forward and the user (as well as the programme) does not have to think.

would you be ok with each instrument only remeber its last preset? or do you need more than 1, for example a whole bank?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 06:00:01 AM »
how many outputs?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 06:37:25 AM »
sorry if it sounds like propaganda but tokyo always had the best preset, preferences, and setup system. it is straight forward and the user (as well as the programme) does not have to think.

would you be ok with each instrument only remeber its last preset? or do you need more than 1, for example a whole bank?
remembering the last preset will be enough.

how many outputs?
At least two... :)

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 06:59:20 AM »

if some of you have a special request for VST host app i will gladly try to program you one.

programming in what? MAX MSP?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 09:10:51 AM »
two is fine with me, but you can have 32 as well. say for drum machines or so? though i think one will more likely use CPU expensive plugs with that.

the reason why i am asking is only that more-than-2-outputs would also mean that every output had its own insert fx, too. or ... or not. that will have en affect on how the seesion storage will be handled.

oh and i guess it could be cool to add a keyboard.

and maybe i also add arp/delay/transpose/mono/poly/legato stuff for the midi input. such settings could also be saved with the session and will be kind of an extension to the VSTiĀ“s parameter preset.

yes, max.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:42:57 AM by 110 »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
question: what latency settgins are you currently using in NI based standalone players?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:21:05 PM by 110 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »
question: what latency settgins are you currently using in NI based standalone players?
512 Samples => 11.6 ms
256 Samples => 5.8 ms

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »

ok if you use 500 anyway, all is ok.

max/msp would create a huge (in the sense of "inacceptable on a G4") CPU drain when you would like to set you vectorsize to something lower than the IO vectorsize of you driver (which i usually 500)

so when i have time later today i will build you something for a first test.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »

btw, i was wrong about midimanager. this of course works in maxmsp. i just dont know how, because i had to deactivate my OMS to try it out. ;)

i boot into 1998 now and start building something.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »

aha, i know now; you can just use the midi manager driver of OMS 2.x.

if and how midimanager itself will operate on systems past 7.5.5, no idea, but i could imagine it will work without trouble (unless you try to connect a firewire based interface)

hozzt build 03 as attachment. it doesnt do much yet except remembering plug-in and parameters. 1.) drag 03 file on runtime app. 2.) it should open all over the screen, with no menubar, and an emtpy plug-in screen. 3.) on first boot "cant find autopreset" error is intended. 4.) the app wil save current session when you close it. 5.) havent testet note input and audio yet, i think audio will not work, note event should.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
Thank you for your efforts, but may be Chris is right, MAX MSP is not for creating an App.
I know at least four VST host made with MAX and none are good. I know you are very good at MAX, but  an App has to have a fast and efficient compiled code and a good interface, - no offense- MAX can't do any of both. It is a great tool for sound manipulation and music, but not for Apps creation.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 05:16:14 AM »
what mactron says makes sense to me. still, was interested. :'( no harm in creativity...is it?
djupsinnig

supernova777

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 05:24:25 AM »
i just said that the "ugly vsti interface" was made in max/msp!!!  i never said it wasnt a good idea!
was trying to stress that u wouldnt achieve a smaller footprint then this "ugly vsti"..
u would just end up with a somewhat duplicate product..
but of course u would have creative control over how it worked + looked..
theres all kinds of possibility if u know how to code u can create anything!