Author Topic: keyspan sx serial cards  (Read 82167 times)

supernova777

Re: keyspan sx serial cards
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »
anyone have one of these for sale.. they were on ebay for awhile but the supply seems to have dried up

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »
I have only one copy. I don't have an actual use for it, but I think I need to hang onto it just in case. It's sitting in my broken down MDD.

supernova777

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
i ended up buying a Grapper+ SCSI/Serial card from OrangeMicro for 12$ on ebay - its on its way to diehards place now :) lol

hope it works as well as a keyspan or a megawolf

with this card ill be able to connect both a sampler via SCSI db-25 + my motu or opcode midi interfaces
kinda sucks that on previous macs these scsi + serial ports came built in!!!! 
its wierd because it says it requires system 7.5 but shows a pic of a g3 b+W on the box
which cant run anything lower then 8.5.1 or 8.6

Offline Enabler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2015, 07:30:25 AM »
Once these drivers are installed do the built-in MIDI drivers in Logic see the serial port?
Meaning no need for OMS or FreeMIDI or MIDI Manager?

Can anyone confirm?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2015, 11:21:44 PM »
Once these drivers are installed do the built-in MIDI drivers in Logic see the serial port?
Meaning no need for OMS or FreeMIDI or MIDI Manager?

Can anyone confirm?

IIRC, you can use either. I don't have a G4 to test at the moment, mine went kaput.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KeySpan-Sx-Pro-SXPRO-A2-4-Port-Serial-PCI-Card-Mac-G4-PCI-PowerMac-Power-Mac-/161931328251?hash=item25b3dbfafb:g:NUEAAOSw5IJWgXgB

I'm glad I bought mine when I did  -afro-

Offline Enabler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2016, 12:29:56 AM »
Just wanted to chime back in on these keyspan SX Pro cards and Logic.
I finally got around and purchased one on Ebay to test with Logic Platninum.

The Bad news is that Logic's built in MIDI drivers do NOT work with these cards
I tested both Logic 3.7.2 & 4.8.1 using an Opcode Studio 4 Midi interface and a generic 1x1
Serial Interface and in both test Logic would not see the interfaces and reported errors.

There may be a work around using Logic in OMS mode but I like to avoid that all together

If anyone has any suggestions let me know
BTW Logic works perfectly with the Stealth Serial Port

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
Have anybody make Keyspan to work with OMS without MOTU hardware? I tested it with Midiman MacMan (its simple serial to Midi I/O) and it worked with Freemidi, but no with OMS Setup. Freemidi 1.38 has OMS emulation, but it's not help me because my another PCI-sound card has only OMS drivers and I think that I cannot use OMS-drivers with Freemidi even if put OMS emulation on..or is there someway use both together and route between them?

Some infromations I find about Freemidi version from Motus website from 2000:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000304004840/http://www1.motu.com/english/download/autodown/action.lasso?-database=dldb&-layout=main&-response=searchresults.html&-op=eq&product=FreeMIDI&&-maxRecords=all&-sortfield=version&-sortorder=descending&-search

Has anybody that fm14_cw106.sit.hqx-file? Page says "We recommend downloading these files if you have a serial adapter like the Megawolf, Keyspan, Stealth or Griffin Technology card."

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2016, 10:38:06 AM »
Here is ClockWorks 1.0.7, which should be the same idea, and should still work with FreeMIDI 1.4.x. I have never used the MOTU MIDI drivers, but I should try them sometime.

macStuff

« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »
I'll probably grab a Keyspan, I can't find a G4port or Stealth. I see the extensions were posted so I hope that's all I need to get it working.

I have an older MOTU Midi Express XT that would be nice to get up and running. As long as it's compatible with FreeMidi I'm good.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=3623.0
http://alexhixon.com/projects/jamport/
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=3403.0

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2018, 02:23:53 AM »
OS9 drivers

The attached driver, right at the top of this thread did not work for me. However, i found v2.0 and that worked and it has an installer as opposed to drag/drop to system.

The driver at the top stated i had a newer card

No drivers/extensions req'd for osx.

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2019, 05:02:24 AM »
hi,
i have the Sxpro card but my modem emulation tick box, in the control panel for the sxpro is always hashed out. 

Also with my Studio 5LX it only works with a relative short din cable.    It is not even detected by a cable of 3M.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2019, 03:26:57 PM »
The tick box grayed out usually means either you have Appletalk on, or you have a modem card installed and active by being selected in the TCP/IP panel or similar.

As for the cable, your 3M cable is probably NOT a Mac "crossover" wiring but rather a "straight-thru". Crossover cables are wired with the Tx and Rx lines "crossed over" to allow two-way communication. The problem with all of these cables is for reasons known ONLY to the manufacturers, NONE of them has ever though it necessary to mark the damn things in any way to indicate which type they are. Go figure.

Syntho spelled it out HERE: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2656.msg15948.html#msg15948

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2021, 08:38:32 AM »
I use a key span sx pro in an MDD. previously in a quicksilver. HANDS DOWN the best timing of any serial card or port. Ive tried stealth and griffin and they don't compare. I use smpte from mpc as well as mtc a lot. Perfect sync every time. I use OMS but free midi works well especially in emulation. took a while to set this up. I have a studio 5LX and 3 mtp av. 2 usb and 1 serial only. I network the usb mtp with the serial for more ports. 5LX is tight but so is the mtp av. The key span pro is the key to great timing and the least jitter. I even get it to work now when I dual boot in OS X with the beta plug in that is available online from stealth. BEST timing is key span pro with either mtp av or studio 5LX. It was so excellent I sacrificed a farm card slot.

Offline Architecture

• Enthusiast Member
  • SCSI Hardware Sampler Junkie
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2021, 02:14:31 PM »
I use a key span sx pro in an MDD. previously in a quicksilver. HANDS DOWN the best timing of any serial card or port. Ive tried stealth and griffin and they don't compare. I use smpte from mpc as well as mtc a lot. Perfect sync every time. I use OMS but free midi works well especially in emulation. took a while to set this up. I have a studio 5LX and 3 mtp av. 2 usb and 1 serial only. I network the usb mtp with the serial for more ports. 5LX is tight but so is the mtp av. The key span pro is the key to great timing and the least jitter. I even get it to work now when I dual boot in OS X with the beta plug in that is available online from stealth. BEST timing is key span pro with either mtp av or studio 5LX. It was so excellent I sacrificed a farm card slot.

What settings do you use for your SXPRO card? I have one and mine is stuck running at 9600 baud when OMS is engaged.
PowerMac G4 MDD (1.25 Dual). 2GB Ram, GeForce Ti 4600 Mac. 3x RME Digiface paired to 2x Ferrofish A32s. Seritek 1SE2 external SATA setup.

PowerMac G4 2002 Quicksilver and Powerbook G3 for SCSI applications.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2021, 10:23:56 AM »
I use OMS but free midi works well especially in emulation. took a while to set this up.

I only get keyspan work with Free Midi, how you setup it work with OMS?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2021, 02:06:50 PM »
The same way you get it to run in FreeMIDI.
You run the "OMS Setup" app and the card is detected.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2021, 10:32:02 PM »
The same way you get it to run in FreeMIDI.
You run the "OMS Setup" app and the card is detected.

I tried half a day some years ago and only success with FreeMidi..maybe I have to try again...
Damm, I just week ago ordered very expensive Megawolf card for replace that Keyspan.

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2021, 07:40:28 PM »
Though it is necessary to open the Keyspan Manager control panel and set the first port to "emulate printer port" and the second port to "emulate modem port." Did you do that? OMS will see them.  Also in OMS setup you have to check modem and printer for the installer to look there.

I know in Freemidi all 4 ports appear in Freemidi Setup, but only the first and second are functional.