Author Topic: keyspan sx serial cards  (Read 82058 times)

supernova777

keyspan sx serial cards
« on: June 13, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KeySpan-SxPRO-A2-PCI-Card-4-Port-/141281771604?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item20e50cc054

3 available for 29.99$ each

does anyone know if these are good for connections to midi interfaces???
do they require extensions like the megawolf romulus/remus?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:33:13 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: keyspan sx serial cards
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
Without drivers can work the Stealth Serial Port (DS8925M chip based) and -may be- the griffin G-port ...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »
hey mactron
both the stealth + g4port do still require + have small extensions ..
they work 100% tho.. unlike this megawolf card im having problems with

the question re: the keyspan card above tho. is this ok just for printers, tablets etc
or is this ok for midi?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
hey mactron
both the stealth + g4port do still require + have small extensions ..

The "small extensions" are for the "Chooser" only, if you plan to use a old serial port printer...
For MIDI use aren't necessary. I have use it in this way "driver-less" for over ten years! LOL

they work 100% tho.. unlike this megawolf card im having problems with
the question re: the keyspan card above tho. is this ok just for printers, tablets etc
or is this ok for midi?
I don't know for sure... but if you'll going to spend money and a PCI slot on your computer just for serial ports (for MIDI use), -may be- better to find a PCI card with MIDI in/out... I know this may be "another" problem...

Any way, the  Stealth or G4port are the best solutions IMHO.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
it would almost be cheaper, easier, + more available now,  to get a g3 that already has a serial port + get a cpu upgrade card to upgrade it;)

whats the highest cpu of a beige g3 upgrade card? 1ghz? or is it 500mhz?

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 05:22:10 PM »
apparently these cards do not support oms
according to this post:
(see bottom)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Bfycigkk4QgJ:199.193.246.201/showthread.php%3Ft%3D3495+&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Hey Daniel,
I have been using Gallery 009 with my Betacam deck and the Keyspan card (4 port)for three years without a hitch. This solution is tighter and far more versatile than machine control within Tools.
I found machine control to have a slight lag, although I havn`t tried it in 5.1 and up.
Now however I am using the Megawolf Romulus card for all my serial needs because the Keyspan card did not support OMS
Good Luck.

but reading more from info from the archived hinton instruments site it seems it may be possible to run freemidi, in OMS mode? for OMS compatibility?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:37:36 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:19:10 AM »
Fabulous OMS card on my G41.25 dual MDD with Studio 5 and Studio 4. 10 years running without a single problem. It needs Keyspan extensions. OS9 only...Logic 4 (5&6 only sum the OMS inputs, will not sense discreet input ports) and DP under Free MIDI or OMS. Emulates modem and printer. Absolutely hands-down the best card, and I have Stealth for G4 & G5 as well as Keyspan USB ports to compare.

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 05:27:33 AM »
thanks so much for that information COACHLA!!!
have u got the extensions that you can share before i order one for my G3 450mhz??

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:58:29 AM »
Try this and post if successful. Will check back later tonight.
http://www.tripplite.com/support/downloads/type/9/tab/2

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 07:33:41 AM »
looks good
attached

i dont have a card myself so i cant test.. if u could test?? would be much appreciated..
im guessing it works tho!

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 01:52:22 AM »
Be aware that only two ports will be available for MIDI in Logic. DP list all 4, but as I recall they are duplicates actually, unless you discover otherwise, by my findings. Great card, very little jitter.

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 02:01:04 AM »
Be aware that only two ports will be available for MIDI in Logic. DP list all 4, but as I recall they are duplicates actually, unless you discover otherwise, by my findings. Great card, very little jitter.

hey coachla..
i will volunteer to investigate this further. i will order a keyspan card and report back to u with my findings this will probably take about 5 weeks or so for me to get the card mailed to me and actually do the testing tho but i feel its a worthwhile thing to investigate as hinton instruments reported these Oxford chip powered serial pci devices as having the best midi timing accuracy

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 04:06:31 AM »
Are you referring to my posts about Logic 5&6 OMS and Sum input only? That's a real mystery. But on the subject of the Keyspan: You have to use OMS or Freemidi with the Keyspan. There are OSX drivers, but not for MIDI. The first two ports can emulate the printer and modem , in that order. I know the 4 ports will show in FreeMIDI setup, however I distinctly recall finding that only two are functional. On  one of the MDDs I run a Studio 5 and Studio 4, and it is GREAT. I don't run audio in Logic, only the MIDI sequencer. Sounddiver runs alongside, as does Unisyn when necessary, using OMS. The MDD model is a very smooth ride. I should add that I have three networked via Gigabit ethernet  switch, all while OMS is active. Now if you're so inclined, you can have a server connected running Tiger, then transfers for backups to it are very quick as opposed to those from OS9 to OS9 which are only 1.5 MBsec. Most often I run just the main MDD though. Simple is better.

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 04:14:31 AM »
Now if you're so inclined, you can have a server connected running Tiger, then transfers for backups to it are very quick as opposed to those from OS9 to OS9 which are only 1.5 MBsec. Most often I run just the main MDD though. Simple is better.

i use a BSD based file server called nas4free that runs an AFP daemon i can connect to via chooser->appleshare
it gives me the fastest file transfers over gigabit ethernet that ive ever seen on mac os 9!
surely mac os x must also support the AFP protocol! is this what you use for your shares from tiger X?

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 04:23:31 AM »
Yes...what's the machine running the BSD server?

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 04:37:52 AM »
Yes...what's the machine running the BSD server?

its my old main pc from about 2006..
motherboard is an asus p5b deluxe wifi/ap
its got 4 x 1.0 Tb drives in it right now (with free sata ports for expansion) which is giving me like 3TB of fault redundant space. i have other posts about it here if u look!

for example i just transfered 2gb in less then 60 seconds from my mdd to this server..
it makes my life so much easier;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:34:52 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 09:52:42 PM »
I'll probably grab a Keyspan, I can't find a G4port or Stealth. I see the extensions were posted so I hope that's all I need to get it working.

I have an older MOTU Midi Express XT that would be nice to get up and running. As long as it's compatible with FreeMidi I'm good.

supernova777

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
Are you referring to my posts about Logic 5&6 OMS and Sum input only? That's a real mystery. But on the subject of the Keyspan: You have to use OMS or Freemidi with the Keyspan. There are OSX drivers, but not for MIDI. The first two ports can emulate the printer and modem , in that order. I know the 4 ports will show in FreeMIDI setup, however I distinctly recall finding that only two are functional. On  one of the MDDs I run a Studio 5 and Studio 4, and it is GREAT. I don't run audio in Logic, only the MIDI sequencer. Sounddiver runs alongside, as does Unisyn when necessary, using OMS. The MDD model is a very smooth ride. I should add that I have three networked via Gigabit ethernet  switch, all while OMS is active. Now if you're so inclined, you can have a server connected running Tiger, then transfers for backups to it are very quick as opposed to those from OS9 to OS9 which are only 1.5 MBsec. Most often I run just the main MDD though. Simple is better.

using the term "ports" is vague. im assuming u mean the actual "serial ports" on the card.. and not "midi ports" provided by a connected interface.

2 serial ports is all that will ever be able to work with oms as oms was written for real macs that only had 2 serial ports so its only written to handle 2 serial ports..  other names for these 'ports' include: rs-422, rs-232, geoport
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:28:13 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 10:58:45 PM »
Just bought one of those cards. Got some 25ft serial cables to go along with it as well.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:22:46 PM by Syntho »