Author Topic: Sidechain VST compressor?  (Read 22386 times)

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
Sidechain VST compressor?
« on: June 06, 2014, 01:17:30 AM »
Hi,

I've never succeeded to find a VST compressor plugin which allow me to sidechain in Cubase 5 VST/32. I want to create a track with some classic ducking between bass / kick. Any suggestions?

Greetz,
Arjen
Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
Re: Sidechain VST compressor?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 07:34:50 AM »
Seems I am not the only one who's looking for it.
https://twitter.com/BT/status/453391863899508736

@BT Did you find it?

While googling I found this article:
http://www.barryrudolph.com/mix/ikmultimediatracks.html
This mentions sidechain within T-Racks VST for OS9. Anyone knows something about it? I only used the stand alone version on my LC.

Greetz,
Arjen

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 08:35:05 AM »
Yes I did! The waves compressors. C1 works a dream. I set up a Side Chain bus in my OS9 autoload with a trigger track with a 10 cycle impulse. Anything I want to Side Chain I route to the C1 track, tweak threshold and release and volia!
Best,
_BT

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »
Yes I did! The waves compressors. C1 works a dream. I set up a Side Chain bus in my OS9 autoload with a trigger track with a 10 cycle impulse. Anything I want to Side Chain I route to the C1 track, tweak threshold and release and volia!

That's the one to go for! Thanks, I've been looking quite a while for a decent side chain compressor. I found Waves 4.0 at macintoshgarden. Don't know if it contains C1. According to this topic http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1085.0 I'll probably be out of luck. Any chance for an upload? Would make my day! ;D

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/waves-40-waves-au-shell-101

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »

the waves is actually the only plug-in which can do it on classic VST – unless you build custom pluggo plug-ins. then everything is possible. :)

t-racks is RTAS/TDM only in classic.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:56:23 PM »
the waves is actually the only plug-in which can do it on classic VST

Well...if that's the case. We need to rally the troops for this one!!!
Anyone?

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »
maybe some people dont want to share this waves 4.0
i think this is a highly coveted piece.. some people like to keep such things private + secret

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »

the C1 did that since version 2 ... with 3.x came the M/S options i think ... i prefer waves 3.x anyway since it doesnt have that sluggerish carbon GUI(?) of v.4 ... so i dont know about any possible new features there.

the next update what is worth using is 7.0 or so, the one with the L3 LL.

IMO ... it is a shame that there were no sidechainable dynamic effects for the powercore or the UAD-1 ... that is where you want to use them on a G4.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 01:03:02 AM »
Waves 3.2 just popped up in the download section.  -afro- Thanks guys!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 01:09:16 AM »
Waves 3.2 just popped up in the download section.  -afro- Thanks guys!
;D
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
Can someone confirm the published Waves has the VST plugin's? I am not familiar with the shell etc. and I can find the VST files. Maybe I am missing the point. Install tutorial?  ::)

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
I can upload so much stuff its scary, just someone has to explain to me how to do it.
I've got about 30 binders filled with CD's and DVD's from this era.

Maybe someone is up to the task of digitizing all this stuff and making it available for members here.
I don't have the time, but I'd love to share it! There is a LOT that I don't see for DL here (or anywhere).

Best,
_BT

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »
_BT, welcome and thanks for the offer, sounds like you are on my schedule, lol...

Mactron will give you the Adrive account info. so that you can upload the stuff; we can go thru it slowly and make it available for all :)

I have been keeping Mactron crazy buzy this year, we have been going over 300+ original factory CDs & DVDs from the 2001 thru 2004 era, we have been imaging, testing, any finding lost serials.  Many of my personal stash is from Studios in New York that closed down and they were bought from auction; also from Studios that I did the networking for back in the day.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
I can upload so much stuff its scary, just someone has to explain to me how to do it.
Thank you. This will be great!
Maybe someone is up to the task of digitizing all this stuff and making it available for members here.
I don't have the time, but I'd love to share it! There is a LOT that I don't see for DL here (or anywhere).

Best,
_BT

Most of the stuff is provided by users, by an FTP account. (I'll send you a PM with the details)
And the admins make the stuff available in the downloads area and they try to keep it well organized.

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

Ok...now I am impressed. Waves 4.x VST upload first?  -afro-

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »

Best,
_BT

The Admins. from this site have no fear on anything!   ;)

Any samples, Akay Disk, or plugs, even if they run as demo or in limited time are welcome.

I think any OS9 tool to make music or to keep your mac doing multimedia stuff is welcome here.

Talk DieHard and MacTron for the best way to do it.

I propose you to send some binders to the more active users here for "digitizing" stuff if you dont have the time.

I am touring with a Dance Orchestra in Andalucia this summer with more than 90 concerts and I would not have time to "digitize" stuff until october. I would be proud to digitize some of your stuff then, but I think MacOS9Lives! users are going to do it before this Autumn.

I can't wait for SonikArchitects (@BT) give his opinion on topics like http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=570.0  and http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1011.0 .

I also want to make a similar setup (Logic 6 with LE hardware instead of TDM) to try if LE users can make Audiosuite with an Audiomedia III card or a Digi001 within Logic

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Fear vs No Fear...
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
The Admins. from this site have no fear on anything!

We are NOT here to cheat the Programmers / Software publishers... nor do we want to get shut down.

We have purposely tried to keep our arsenal limited to OS 9 DAW Material that has been discontinued, abandoned, and forgotten about.

As a member here, be aware that the smallest complaint about anything we have offered here will mean immediate removal of that that title.  We are NOT trying to make a developer's family starve... if all the money that can be made on a 12 year old plugin is already made, and that platform has been abandoned... then we will be here to offer it to a musician on a budget that buys yesterday's $2000 Mac for $90 or so.  I would even think, that a software writer, that has no plans to continue programming in OS 9, would actually be happy that his hard work lives on, even if he does not make any money on it anymore.  That is why, so many companies have given the stuff away later (ex. SonicWorx, Rebirth).

We are in an age of upgrade, upgrade and further upgrade... we are the misfits that choose to create something from nothing... to breathe life into our personal compositions that is unique and in someways even better... since it is made with tools that the masses cannot get. 

I strongly believe that all the progress that was made in the virtual studio arena came so quickly, that is took much longer analyze and utilize all this great software... like reading a great literary work... it takes time to digest.  And we are only now realizing the full potential of some of these great Instruments and Effects.  OS X turned many great works obsolete overnight... things had to be re-crafted, the same tools had to be re-written from scratch... the old ones were "thrown out"... but remember "one man's garbage is another man's treasure"

- DieHard User of OS9

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 03:14:35 PM by DieHard »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »

The Admins. from this site have no fear on anything!   ;)

The Admins. from this site have no fear on anything!

We are NOT here to cheat the Programmers / Software publishers... nor do we want to get shut down.

We have purposely tried to keep our arsenal limited to OS 9 DAW Material that has been discontinued, abandoned, and forgotten about.

As a member here, be aware that the smallest complaint about anything we have offered here will mean immediate removal of that that title.  We are NOT trying to make a developer's family starve... if all the money that can be made on a 12 year old plugin is already made, and that platform has been abandoned... then we will be here to offer it to a musician on a budget that buys yesterday's $2000 Mac for $90 or so.  I would even think, that a software writer, that has no plans to continue programming in OS 9, would actually be happy that his hard work lives on, even if he does not make any money on it anymore.  That is why, so many companies have given the stuff away later (ex. SonicWorx, Rebirth).

Thanks DieHard for clarify this.

I am sorry if I sounded as if we starve families...We ALL want to make a place around DAWs running MacOS9 and most of us had paid for our software (Logic and Protools in my case) and/or VI/VST/RTAS.

I still remember back in 2002-4 sharing with my friends and writings CDs of the EXS-24 folder of others Logic Mac/PC Users. PC users made the Akai Convert thing quicker than Mac Users.

It was the usual thing when someone make a project with another one to make both copies of logic run the same EXS instruments.

Perhaps with a little help of ALL our friends we can make a HUGE EXS folder. Or a Akai/Soundfont movement. But always keeping in mind DieHard Words:
OS 9 DAW Material that has been discontinued, abandoned, and forgotten about
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 07:45:15 AM »
Can someone confirm the published Waves has the VST plugin's? I am not familiar with the shell etc. and I can find the VST files. Maybe I am missing the point. Install tutorial?  ::)

The waves plugins are among the best. But the "shell" thing is the worst idea they could have, In my opinion...

The download post was updated with a user manual. In it you can read:

"...All Waves plug-ins are in a folder named "Waves plug-ins", which is inside the Waves folder, located on your internal startup disk. They don't go in your application's plug-in folder.
Instead, A WaveShell is installed into your application's plug-in folder. The WaveShell connects your application to the Waves plug-ins as a software gateway. For example, Premiere has WaveShell-P in the "Adobe PremiereTM Plug-Ins" folder; VST has the WaveShell-VST in the "VstPlugIns" folder. You may have several WaveShells installed.
It works like this: your program uses its WaveShell to load the plug-ins. Each WaveShell "points" to the Waves Plug-Ins folder. It is that simple to use, and lets you "buy once, use many places".

I'll hope this help to you to understand the weird way of working of this pluging set...

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »
I have been keeping Mactron crazy buzy this year, we have been going over 300+ original factory CDs & DVDs from the 2001 thru 2004 era, we have been imaging, testing, any finding lost serials...

It is the best way to keep MacTron busy...
... to prevent him to post in English... LOL