Author Topic: Best plugin for maximizing loundness / Mastering FX chain  (Read 23725 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Best plugin for maximizing loundness / Mastering FX chain
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »
yes of course, you could call them sisters. which is why i think it was so hilarious to close the website after only a few months and stop (re)issueing licenses to registered users who have paid for the products.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »
the company TC Works was closed 10 years ago :D

Well they resurrected. Don't you know it was unknown at the time that a small dose of "coup de poudre," including the pufferfish neurotoxin TTX and the drug Datura were slipped into an TC sub-routine the day before causing TC to merely appear dead!  ;D

No seriously; I am really impressed about TC's support for the powercore card. Today I registered my card, asked TC support to generate me the X3 plugin for OS9. And within 30 minutes I got a personal download link from my new TC buddy Henrik. Well something tells me that TC knows what customer service is all about. I am impressed.

As for the card. It's a true pain in the *** to get it running stable with my Ploytec USB audio driver. The plugins however sound really good. With different buffer, asio & sync settings I managed to get it working on 24 bit. The problem seems to be the audio card buffer which must be around 1000 samples. As soon I use higher latencies, buffers which exceed 2000 samples, all hell breaks loose. I also needed to change the card adma buffer to 2 channels. I haven't tested it properly in a real production but as far as I can tell all is working.

Greetz,
Arjen
Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »
u joking? the new TCE is giving OS9 support? that would mean +1 in my VST folder and i could have had it since years! :D

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
Well they resurrected. Don't you know it was unknown at the time that a small dose of "coup de poudre," including the pufferfish neurotoxin TTX and the drug Datura were slipped into an TC sub-routine the day before causing TC to merely appear dead!

Arjen... using up all my material...I didn't think anyone ever read that on the main website lol :)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »
Under OS 9, the Master X3 Plugin was custom generated for each card by serial number...TC (even before they abandoned Powercore), was giving me a real hassle about making Making the Master X3 plugins for the cards I bought 2nd hand
Wow... can't believe they genned you a Master X3 for OS 9  in 2014 !

The PowerCore PCI plugin suite run best as VST plugins in Cubase & Nuendo... no issues whats so ever as compared other hosts... automatic plug in compensation and everything stays in time... other hosts need to put a "Powercore" compensator on the tracks that do not use any plugins, which I have always thought was ass-backwards.

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 01:40:03 AM »
Wow... can't believe they genned you a Master X3 for OS 9  in 2014 !

Again proof that OS9 is alive! ;D
I searched the TC website and found this post about the latest OS9 drivers:
http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries/20920453-PowerCore-1-6-1-for-Mac-OS-9

For getting the X3:
http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries/20898271

First you'll have to create a powercore account. Register the card (authentication ID). Second you'll have to create a support account. And....email your request. Within minutes you'll receive a generated X3. No complains from me. Especially when you consider the price I paid for the card.

The PowerCore PCI plugin suite run best as VST plugins in Cubase & Nuendo... no issues whats so ever as compared other hosts... automatic plug in compensation and everything stays in time...

The card/plugins stay in sync within Cubase. No problem at all. But I experience major problems with higher latency settings. My audiocard stops working and emits harsh, distorted noises. As soon as I reset it to lower AISO latency settings (<1000 samples) all is doing well on 24 bit. The problem doesn't show while working on 16 bit. But to me that's out of the question. I also have some questions about the slots on the card: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1208.0 Can you tell what these are?

@110 That's definitely +1! Get it while you can.
@Diehard Ofcourse I read the main site. Modern poetry!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:55:45 AM by arjen_1 »
Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:52 AM »

[/quote]other hosts need to put a "Powercore" compensator on the tracks that do not use any plugins, which I have always thought was ass-backwards.
[/quote]

was that really a powercore specific issue? when the powercore came out most host programs didnt have PDC anyway. cubase 4.1 for example also lacked it on the group channels.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »
Yeah, the quality of the PowerCore plugins under OS 9 were always to notch.. but the implementation it some DAWs was a pain in the ass as far as timing issues...

As far as the Version for OS 9 the final driver package is 1.6.1 and then download ClassicVerb, 24/7-C (two more awesome free plugins)
http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries/20898271
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:25:36 PM by DieHard »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 07:21:44 PM »
a plug-in can emmit its delay info the most elegant way, but it is all of no help if the host ignores it.

supernova777

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »
I am so sorry for not clarifying...

They all say UAD-1, but unlike the Project Pak or Flexi Pak products; The Mackie version of the UAD-1 PCI expansion card is extra special as it comes with the following UAD plugins included: LA2A, 1176, Pultec EQP-1A, Real-Verb Pro, Nigel (Guitar Amp), CS-1 Channel Strip.

No need to authorize anything...no need to even register it... if it is a "mackie" UAD1 it will allow all those plugins to work immediately after install...
1176 LN or 1176 SE?
because the projektpak that i bought is a non mackie version and it also comes with 1176SE and CS-1 activate (amongst others) i had to pay extra for the 1176LN

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
Both versions of 1176 are included free with Mackie version

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »
Im with Ilo here in I dislike master bus compression (for working on a track with at least, so many of the dance music guys coming up now work through an Ozone with the threshold set to like -30. I loose sleep over this lol).

That said I love using limiters for things like drum overheads and bass even vocals within a track. In OS9 land Maxim is absolutely amazing. None of the L1 uber squash crap but tons of punch. Within reason of course. Another I LOVE are the TC 3 and 5 bands DieHard mentioned. They are absolutely wonderful.

Best,
_BT

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 03:00:09 AM »
of course the interesting things, such as parallel compression, are hard to realize in OS9, nuendo, max/msp or CSound are more or less the only enviroments which give you the required flexibility.

Isn't parallel compresion just leaving the uncompressed signal sounding as is aside the compressed signal ?
So why would that be complicated in any DAW.

Will have to take a look what exactly parallel compresion means.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 03:12:38 AM »
So why would that be complicated in any DAW.

well not exactly complicated, but it is an extra step which is unusual for the average user who usually does his first audio premastering right out of the project.

not sure about protools 5, but all other programs in OS9 simply do not allow to put a bus onto 2 other buses.

you could of course use a stereo aux effect for that purpose, but this is even more weird. :)

in a best case scenario the plug-in allows mixing its output against the input or the DAW had it built-in.

otherwise i would mix down to 6 or 8 stems and then have a "premastering" project where i will just copy an audio track in order to have a channel twice if necessary.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 03:32:10 AM »
i´ve built myself a custom mixer app for that purpose, which has things like channel copying / parallel insert effects, or mid-side encoder on every channel strip.

but plug-ins require so much CPU in that app that it is no fun to use it under OS9 :)