Author Topic: Best plugin for maximizing loundness / Mastering FX chain  (Read 23690 times)

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
Best plugin for maximizing loundness / Mastering FX chain
« on: June 04, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »
Hi,

I am just wondering; which VST plugin is the best for maximizing loudness? I've used the Steinberg LoudnessMaximiser and TC MaxIT. Both do the job. I am just wondering what you guys use.

I am also interested in the mastering FX chain setup. Most of the time I've mastered outside my DAW in SonicWorx. I am not always happy with the result so I want to try to stay in the box. (Cubase VST)

It's my personal goal to get that pro sound @ OS9. Last night I listedend to my old late '90 house tracks; no money so my Mac LC & Akai & Korg gear had to do the job. No mastering at all...if I only could travel back in time! Then again...I did perform at the large raves parties, got paid and nobody complained.  ;D

Greetz,
Arjen
Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Best plugin for maximizing loundness / Mastering FX chain
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »
Under OS 9, My 2 absolute favorites are TC Master X3 (PowerCore) and 1176 (UAD 1 Card)... but there are 2 issues with Master X3...

1) you need an original TC PowerCore PCI Card (NOT element) to run the plugin

2) Under OS 9, the Master X3 Plugin was custom generated for each card by serial number...TC (even before they abandoned Powercore), was giving me a real hassle about making Making the Master X3 plugins for the cards I bought 2nd hand... In 2010, I threatened them legally, and explained how the box clearly states that the Master X3 plugin is included and to contact them to get it... They finally found their OS 9 Unit and generated 2 more Master X3s for the Cards I bought; don't know if they will even answer the phone these days about PowerCore
Still a worthwhile investment for the other plugins included

The UAD 1 "Mackie" version (get one on eBay for less than $80) is amazing, the Limiters, Compressors, and Eqs surpass almost all native OS 9 plugins and easily give you pro mastering results

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »
The UAD 1 "Mackie" version (get one on eBay for less than $80) is amazing, the Limiters, Compressors, and Eqs surpass almost all native OS 9 plugins and easily give you pro mastering results

Allright UAD is the way to go. Can I conclude that all non-mackie versions are worthless?
So I found this one but the seller can't tell/know's if it's the Mackie version.

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/professionele-audio-tv-en-video-apparatuur/m810103094-uad-dsp-1-kaart-met-standaard-plug-in-bundel.html

How can I recognize if it is a Mackie or UAD version?

Greetz,
Arjen

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »
I am so sorry for not clarifying...

They all say UAD-1, but unlike the Project Pak or Flexi Pak products; The Mackie version of the UAD-1 PCI expansion card is extra special as it comes with the following UAD plugins included: LA2A, 1176, Pultec EQP-1A, Real-Verb Pro, Nigel (Guitar Amp), CS-1 Channel Strip.

No need to authorize anything...no need to even register it... if it is a "mackie" UAD1 it will allow all those plugins to work immediately after install...

For OS 9 you want to download 3.9.0 from the archives and install it... that simple to get all the MAS and VST plugins... all auto-activated, that is why it is important to get the "Mackie" version or you will have less plugins that are ready to go... with the Mackie version you don't even have to get the old owner to transfer plugins (unless they bought additional ones and want to transfer them); so not you can buy the cheap eBay auctions that say 'UAD-1 Mackie" no software, just card only, no transfers "Pulled from a working system"

This link will give you mare details... http://www.zzounds.com/item--MACUAD1

Link to software: http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/archives.html

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »

i am not too fond of "maximizers", i prefer to use compression only.

on the digital platform, STEM mastering is affordable and in my opinion the way to go.

last but not least, who says electronic music or rock may not contain some dynamics?

of course the interesting things, such as parallel compression, are hard to realize in OS9, nuendo, max/msp or CSound are more or less the only enviroments which give you the required flexibility.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 01:11:29 AM »
last but not least, who says electronic music or rock may not contain some dynamics?

I don't. But the general public does. Since the 90's recordings have been up to 30% (perceived) louder. In other words people want hot mixes and really don't care if it sounds natural or not.  It has to be familiar & sound good on cheap mp3 players & bluetooth speakers. How many people actually listen (electronic) music on quality hi/fi? It's a shame. I am in the middle; yes I want dynamics but I also want my mixes to be heard/recognized.  ::) So I'll be looking for a cheap UAD Mackie.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »
the UAD is at least way better than the old spectral design stuff.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
2) Under OS 9, the Master X3 Plugin was custom generated for each card by serial number...TC (even before they abandoned Powercore), was giving me a real hassle about making Making the Master X3 plugins for the cards I bought 2nd hand... In 2010, I threatened them legally, and explained how the box clearly states that the Master X3 plugin is included and to contact them to get it... They finally found their OS 9 Unit and generated 2 more Master X3s for the Cards I bought

same problem here, i have a legit master X-5 which was included with my cards, but then the TCworks website disappeared and i couldnt get a serial for it.

but it could be worse. lets be lucky we are not users of creamware: they even sell hardware which doesnt work as advertised and then pretend to be deaf or get rude when you ask.

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »
My votes are Master X (5 band) and Maxium. They are both different in character but equally amazing. Make L1 look comedic!
Best,
_BT

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 01:58:01 PM »
maxium? i did not build it, so who did? :)

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 01:43:19 AM »
Got a cheap first edition TC powercore card! Couldn't find the UAD Mackie version. 
I noticed the Virus & V-Station powercore plugins. Are there any OS9 compatible powercore versions of those?

Greetz,
Arjen
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:24:27 AM by arjen_1 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 06:20:55 AM »
I noticed the Virus & V-Station powercore plugins. Are there any OS9 compatible powercore versions of those
No... AFAIK :(
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »
Got a cheap first edition TC powercore card! Couldn't find the UAD Mackie version. 
I noticed the Virus & V-Station powercore plugins. Are there any OS9 compatible powercore versions of those?

Greetz,
Arjen

see this is where u have a 2nd mac running osx and u network via midi + audio to be able to use these plugins from mac os 9. using the 2nd computer as a midi synth module.
simple.

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 12:45:33 PM »
see this is where u have a 2nd mac running osx and u network via midi + audio to be able to use these plugins from mac os 9. using the 2nd computer as a midi synth module.
simple.

Totally right! But it's just that I want to keep my sanity! http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1170.msg4502#msg4502
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding

Just kidding.  ;D

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 01:11:54 PM »

the two other options are windowx OS or the hardware versions.

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 12:13:19 AM »
the two other options are windowx OS or the hardware versions.

I actually own the Novation A-Station which is essentially the same ast the K- / V-Station. The Virus is tempting but I am trying to recover from GAS.  ;)

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 02:50:24 AM »
but its the beauty of midi..
u can sequence from within os9.. and trigger sounds via midi to the synth plugins running whatever os u want..
as long as u have a physical L/R input to jack the sounds into.. and the midi in/out to pull it off..
;)
this has always been my plan to be able to use these plugins on any os.. using it as though it was a piece of hardware
because for any given software versions u might have a working version on windows.. but not on mac for some things, and vice versa

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 05:38:19 AM »
Under OS 9, My 2 absolute favorites are TC Master X3 (PowerCore) and 1176 (UAD 1 Card)... but there are 2 issues with Master X3...

Well, I got the Powercore card, and TC states that I can get the X3 too. Would be great. However I have some compatability issues between my soundcard (ESI U24, Ploytec USB Audio driver) and the powercore card. After a few seconds while loading/using a Powercore plugin audio stops working (harsh white noise/distortion).  Drives me crazy. After I downgraded audio to 16bit all works fine and the plugin's sound great. However I want to stay on 24 bit so the powercore seems useless for my setup. Any clues or suggestions? Otherwise...it's up for sale because I don't want to change my audiocard.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »

Well, I got the Powercore card, and TC states that I can get the X3 too.

the company TC Works was closed 10 years ago :D

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
TC works was in any way related to TC electronics?
ACCORDING TO SOS http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug98/articles/tcnative.html
yes, they are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TC_Electronic
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:06:42 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4