Author Topic: .sitx file format conversion to .sit  (Read 19309 times)

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
Re: .sitx file format conversion to .sit
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 01:59:10 AM »

HI,

Just some info: I installed the Stuffit 7 from the garden, and it could not open the .sitx file (probably created on macos x). This was advised before here, so I confirm it.

Thanks for help!! :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »
OK I lied... i will post again...lol

yeah i know how that feels.

well, from what you say alladdin has put .zip options in stuff it deluxe for mac OS 7-9 but noone can use it ... because it brakes files ... unless you find a special place its in prefs where you can check "preserve resource fork" or something. i know that alladdin is pretty dumb, but probably not that dumb? :)

man, i really want to go back to the classic times, where 90% of all musicians and graphic guys used mac and you were JUST SHARING FILES by drag and drop from one studio to another ... and not all that modern hassle with images, archives, encryption, and central hosting or buffering in the internet.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:08:54 PM by 110 »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacOS9Lives.com

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • Members Only
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 11:59:36 PM »
man, i really want to go back to the classic times, where 90% of all musicians and graphic guys used mac and you were JUST SHARING FILES by drag and drop from one studio to another ... and not all that modern hassle with images, archives, encryption, and central hosting or buffering in the internet.

Well, at least we have this place... it may not be much in this crazy modern world... but it still has its purpose; The tools may be old, but plenty of new, excellent, music can be made with the forgotten gems we have here :)
Instructions: Most of our files have been encoded with MacBinary format (.bin) so that the data and the resource fork of the file will not be damaged when storing the file on a non-Macintosh file system. After downloading, if the file does not automatically decode by double-clicking, we recommend opening StuffIt Expander and Selecting "File" and "Open" to decode the downloaded file. StuffIt Expander is included in every Mac OS 9 installation. Additionally, once the StuffIt Expander app is open, check EDIT > PREFERENCES > INTERNET and "use stuffit expander for all available types"

Please Donate: If you feel you have benefited from this forum and you have the means, feel free to contribute $5, $10, or $15 dollars, Paypal: [email protected]

Disclaimer: Mac OS 9 Lives does not claim rights to any software on the site. To the best of our knowledge, these titles are classified as "abandonware" for having been discontinued by their publishers after Steve Job's public funeral declaring Mac OS 9 a "Dead Operating System". If you know otherwise, please contact us and we will remove them accordingly. Thank you for your attention.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »
thats exactly the point. while others have upgraded to nuendo 6.5 and its  - for the 7th or 8th time - "enhanced AAF import", i have switched to creating custom software during the last ten years so that i now have polyrythm, nonlinearism, and thousands of exotic scales at my hands.

so, did someone helped the OP with his sitx file? if yes, then someone should close the thread.

supernova777

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
the only way to convert .sitx to .sit is to boot into OSX

use the appropriate .sitx compatible Stuffit Expander to decode the contents,
at which point u can create a new .sit file (if you have DropStuff, with preferences set to create .sit instead of .sitx) check in preferences for anything to do with making it backwards compatible i think there might be an opion for this

supernova777

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »
one last comment.. im pretty sure the reason u can even use .zip in mac os 9 was for the purposes of transfering files *FROM MACS* *TO PCS*

"DropStuff" (part of stuffit deluxe 2010 for snow leopard) includes the option to "make Zip"
but it also includes the option to "binhex"

i dont think its possible to create a .sit file with this app..
i think it only does .sitx

supernova777

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »
like i commented on another thread (see http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2472.msg14127#msg14127)

it is possible to create .bin files from mac os x 10.6
by  just dropping to terminal and using the command : "macbinary encode -v filename.ext"

i used another app called DropDMG, set in preferences to create OS9 compatible disk images (.img NDIF legacy) once its created the .img file i then can use the terminal to macbinary encode.. and the result is... opens perfectly on mac os 9;)

Offline registred

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
so, did someone helped the OP with his sitx file? if yes, then someone should close the thread.

I had the same problem as OP and I was looking for a solution. I found this thread and tried stuffit deluxe 7.0.3 on mac os 9.1 and it worked.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 01:05:28 AM »
thanks for feedback. yes, for some sitx files it works. but only with OSX you are on the safe side.

Offline registred

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 09:26:43 AM »
It worked in OSX except that it lose the resources of the extracted files so they were unreadable back to os9. Maybe it could have worked with OSX Leopard and prior because of classic ?
I guess I was lucky  ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 01:02:25 PM »
not because of classic, but because of HFS eventually.

i use stuff it deluxe v10 and v13 on PPC and never had any issues.

(but of course i hate the format for beeing stuff-it exclusive. rar and zip is what you want to see in OSX.)

Offline registred

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2019, 01:57:19 AM »
The oldest OSX system I have is Snow Leopard. I wonder : do know you what is the last OSX that handled correctly macOs ressources fork ?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
in theory it should work with post-HFS disks, too. but it depends on what you do (archives, network protocols)

sitx is a nonsense format made specifically for jpg/mpeg files.

but i would  think that stuff it in mojave would warn you when there is a resource fork in a file which cant be written to disk without corrupting the file.

regarding MacOS9 - that only works when the archive file has been put in "compatibility mode" (most sitx files were not, because then it is without the new features such as jpg supprt or encryption)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:39:25 AM by IIO »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 08:04:57 AM »
try unstuffing onto an HFS+ usb stick or disc image
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:40:32 AM by IIO »

Offline registred

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2019, 02:35:11 AM »
Wow !!! Very nice trick !!! I'm currently waiting for mSSD PATA adapters to put in my Wallstreet and my 1400c but for now I use CFCARDs as hard drive. In High Sierra I tried to unstuff directly on these CFCARDs with an USB adapter and it works ! No ressources forks loss ! Thanks !!! It will definitely make things easier.