Author Topic: Allocating more resources to System and Finder  (Read 5331 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Allocating more resources to System and Finder
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »
On this page http://www.sunrisepage.com/computers/macclassic/macos9.htm there is a little guide to give the System and Finder files more resources. I think they typed this guide with a G3 in mind, but is this a good tweak to apply to a G4 system? I think I'm going to try it, and possibly some other tweaks on the page as well.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Allocating more resources to System and Finder
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:03:32 AM »
I think it have good advices, as increasing System & Finder memory allocation or about some extensions versions being better than others. But It must be read carefully, some things are outdated, as it were fixed in later 9.2.2 editions ( CPU 5.8 and CPU 5.9) and other issues affected to G3 only.
I usually  put a lot of attention on what DieHard and others users -with long term experience- write about Mac Os 9 stability, but usually, the systems and they use  may be very different, so our perception and advices about  stability not always are the same :)
... I think the same, about this report...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 11:03:10 AM »
From the famous "Sunrise Report" wich is now deleted from the Web, so I got a copy from the wayback time machine...

Actually, you can leave the memory requirements to Login, Panels, Classic, Classic Support, and Classic Support UI under OS9 as they are. To increase the memory size of OS9.2.2 System and the Finder:

1. Make a copy of OS9.2.2 System and Finder to the desktop and use ResEdit to open the two files.

2. In the System file, add an extra 100,000 bytes to the SIZE resources number -16472 and -16471 in the Preferred memory size box. While the System file is still opened in ResEdit and you are looking at all the SIZE resource, choose Get Info Resource under the Resource menu of ResEdit. Put a tick in the boxes that say "purgeable", "protected", and "preload". Do it for all SIZE resources. Save the file and quit from ResEdit.

3. In the Finder, you can be relatively generous in the Preferred memory size box of the SIZE resource. Add an extra 1,000,000 bytes. While the Finder file is still opened in ResEdit and you are looking at the SIZE resource, choose Get Info Resource under the Resource menu of ResEdit. Put a tick in the boxes that say "purgeable", "protected", and "preload". Save the file and quit from ResEdit.

4. Move the old Finder and System in the System Folder to the trash. Move the new modified files to the appropriate locations in the System Folder. DO NOT DELETE THE OLD FILES AS YOU MAY NEED THEM IF ANYTHING SHOULD GO WRONG.

5. If you have done it right to this point, the System Folder should show it is active and ready for you to restart using the system software inside.

Note: the "Sunrise Report" was a little anti Mac OS 9.2.2, and most of it can be ignored IMO

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 01:24:15 AM »
I haven't tinkered with allocating more RAM to the System / Finder since the System 6 days (where it really improved things as long as you could afford it RAM-wise). I was under the impression that it was unneccessary from System 7 on but it seems I was wrong ... so does that really help, especially on fast G4s like the MDD?
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 03:35:32 AM »
Note: the "Sunrise Report" was a little anti Mac OS 9.2.2, and most of it can be ignored IMO

Thanks for sharing that...I think that it's not so anti Mac OS 9..most critics is for 9.2.2 version.
btw..Interesting thing there is mention about MacTest Pro CD from March 2003.
and those Sunrise pages are informative:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090915224339/http://www.sunrisepage.com/computers/macclassic/macclassic.htm