Author Topic: FreeStyle 2  (Read 12703 times)

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
FreeStyle 2
« on: April 26, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »
FreeStyle Overview

Freestyle is the first trackless sequencer with instant music notation. Powerful, yet easy to use, FreeStyle gives you the freedom to concentrate on what is most important to you—your music.

Create compositions intuitively using ensembles, players, takes and arrangements. Get inspired with FreeStyle’s dozens of drum riffs. Notate your performances as you play. See your music on screen exactly as it will print. Get started quickly with built-in support for dozens of popular MIDI instruments, including any General MIDI device. FreeStyle provides both tape recorder and drum machine style composing.
Upgrading to FreeStyle

System Requirements
Macintosh
68030-based Macintosh (or faster) with at least 16 MB RAM (24 MB for PowerPC). System 7.01 to 9.x. Power Macintosh and 64 MB RAM recommended. Power Macintosh required for FreeStyle 2.31. The 2.31 Installer CD will install FreeStyle 2.11 for 68K Macs (same feature set).

More info at MOTU: http://www.motu.com/products/software/freestyle/step.html

Download a fully working trial copy : http://www.mediafire.com/download/3qjtvz7gzuqthhc/FreeStyle_CD-ROM.bin  and http://www.mediafire.com/view/eh68i0swgt93gos/FreeStyle_CD-ROM.cue

Download the numbers : http://www.mediafire.com/download/41b50x0qj4pzxs7/FreeStyle_code.bin and http://www.mediafire.com/view/0m01dw4g4ax3qqu/FreeStyle_code.cue

Download the requisite FreeMidi ( in case you don't already have that installer ): http://www.mediafire.com/download/q9ivwcqksmmrv4g/FREEmidi_OS_9.toast

If any of those files don't decompress or work correctly please just blame MR MAGOO as he barely understands midi and has trouble speaking Mac.

Have fun with this one. Actually it still is one of my favorite MOTU  midi/audio software after Roland's Ballade. Too bad they were abandoned.

LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: FreeStyle 2
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »
Thank You.
Tested and working!
Just an important issue, the instaler don't support Mac Os Extended Format (HFS+) but the old Mac Os Standard Format (HFS) -I think-
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:08:29 AM »
Just an important issue, the instaler don't support Mac Os Extended Format (HFS+) but the old Mac Os Standard Format (HFS) -I think-

thats a pretty important issue
i wonder how many other issues this could also be the root problem of

when using vintage software,
one must use the correct vintage file system..

good point

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »
yes. thank you. good point about a possible solution to legacy installer problems with the file system.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
heres a nice freestyle image maybe an admin can edit into the op

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:54:48 PM »
Can we abandom mediashare to Adrive?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
hey macguy
what app did u use to create a cdrom image in bin+cue format?
this is pc format is it not? why not .toast format+filename?
its confusing to use bin+cue because of the .bin extension used for macbinary
someone could end up trying to decode the cdrom .bin
and mounting the freestyle code.bin as a cd...
when-- i have a pretty good hunch the code is macbinary encoded simpletext or text clipping...
but u see what i mean....

it would have been alot easier for u to package all of these files in one disk image or stuffit file
not trying to be rude just trying to point out the error prone-ness of whats been done here to avoid confusion in the future!

at the same time thank you for contributing freestyle for our inspection;)

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 07:12:39 AM »
Actually i used mac toast however the problem  may be that those files were created using intel toast versions on a  intel machine that apparently do not translate properly when ported back to   power mac machines.   I never tested those install files  on my power mac because i had the original install disks and also those programmes were already installed and running on my power macs.

In order that i learn and get this done correctly could you provide me with an explanation as to how to do this or provide an url to where it is explained.

Sorry that it may have created problems for power mac users. My intention was to share those abandoned legacy programmes that still give me great enjoyment in making music.
LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »
Actually i used mac toast however the problem  may be that those files were created using intel toast versions on a  intel machine that apparently do not translate properly when ported back to   power mac machines.

its true that burning .bin + .cue files is definately not the norm on a powermac. i dont know if any os 9 apps even support this but i know of an app for osx simply called "Burn" that does support .bin + .cue files

I never tested those install files  on my power mac because i had the original install disks and also those programmes were already installed and running on my power macs.

this is where problems start tho.. uploading untested apps ... can make 10 people have to test and have a problem rather then 1 person testing and seeing that it doesnt work... etc we should only be uploading TESTED + CONFIRMED apps + plugins..
otherwise it leavecs the potential for more than one person to waste their time trying to install.. untill someone with the administration access happens to pay attention to it + finally make the concious decision to remove it ..
this is highly problematic... and is almost disrespectful to other users.. like for example.. i wouldnt upload something larger then 200mb or so without testing to ensure that it works otherwise im wasting my time, and every other persons time who happens to download this, not to mention their bandwidth. we need to work together as a team to keep potential problems out of the loop.. regarding all upload

In order that i learn and get this done correctly could you provide me with an explanation as to how to do this or provide an url to where it is explained.

done correctly?? just throw everything together into a parent folder next time + stuff that parent folder so its all contained in one file.. easy right?

Sorry that it may have created problems for power mac users. My intention was to share those abandoned legacy programmes that still give me great enjoyment in making music.

sharing is always looked upon with respect from me, especially sharing some things that would otherwise be lost or rare/forgotten!

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 06:37:03 AM »
Thanks for your time and patience you have shown me.

I'm truly sorry for the havoc i may have caused some or all users of my uploads.

Now that you have explained how it should be done that's what/how i shall prepare them for distribution here.

I will redo the files that i've uploaded.

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
macguy theres no need;) i was merely offering a suggestion on how to improve next time.
there is nothing wrong with what u have done already

in fact u can easily choose to ignore me ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 12:11:30 AM »

it is nice to hear that someone has fun using such old OS7 apps. it encourages OS9 users that we´re on the right path.

btw instalation: it should be possible to install such installers into a disk image or ram disk of HFS format when you dont have an old HD for it.
insert arbitrary signature here

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »
hey mac guy do u have the serial for this
i have finally burned this to a cd
the installer has the same freemidi file space bug as other motu installers
but im stuck needing a serial code to install

***update
i found this code that works
s/n: FS210-00EJV-81T62
all 0's are zeros

FS210-00FWX-1YB2X

rebooting now to check out MOTU Freestyle v2.0! :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:42:56 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »
somethings not right... i cant find any executable to launcch the app. just the libraries + support files are installed.. strange

i think this freestyle 2 cd is not a standalone and rather it must be an upgrade of some sorts because installing it just installed a folder called "Freestyle 2.3" libraries + there is no executable installer to execute!

not sure how or why mr magoo uploaded this in .bin & .cue cd format?
the 2nd cd FreeStyle_code.bin + .cue .. this is just an empty cd image with 2 folders each titled with a working serial number to install the app... i have no idea why he would have done this rather then make a simple text file but perhaps this is the format in which he recieved this from someone else?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/oct94/applenotes.html
this soundonsound article is pretty messed up html.. being that it is an extremely old article from 1994 (now 20 years old!) probably converted to html way back int he late 90s during some major html code restructuring around the time that html developers were HATING msinternet explorer 5.0 (1999) but i managed to do a crafty cut + paste to take the text out..

Mark of the Unicorn are breaking new ground with their recently-announced FreeStyle sequencer. Whereas most other music software companies have only one sequencer, MOTU now have Performer (and its direct-to-disk big brother, Digital Performer), and FreeStyle. And don't expect corner-cutting: Freestyle isn't just a cut-down or simplified version of Performer -- instead, it takes a completely different approach to the way that musicians work with a computer. Freestyle seems to be based around improvisation and jamming, with automatic looping, instant riffs and a 'trackless' environment.

And this poses an interesting question: how far along the route of adding features should a sequencer go? Should the designers continue to incrementally improve the user interface of their flagship products until they are so complicated that you can in theory do almost anything (but in practice only when you have taken the considerable time necessary to learn about them), or should they use their experience to produce products that are optimised for particular ways of working? Freestyle certainly seems to be the latter, since it looks and feels very unlike Performer, and is instead rather similar to some of MOTU's competitors!

Freestyle also concentrates on immediacy and ease of use (words which don't usually come to mind in most reviews of sequencer software!). A sequencer is often regarded as a tool for a nit-picking techno-perfectionist, who can tweak a lacklustre performance into a gem, given enough time. But Freestyle aims to capture that idea for a riff that flashes momentarily through your mind, and which all too often gets lost forever while you set up the sequencer...

Contact Sound Technology on 01462 480000 for more details on Freestyle.
TIP OF THE MONTH: USING TWO KEYBOARDS

I never quite got used to the small keyboard that came with my IIsi when it came to proper typing, so I decided recently to move up to an extended keyboard, with cursor buttons and lots of extra function keys. But I also kept my old keyboard. I have the Mac just to the right of my SY99 master keyboard, and the new extended Apple keyboard sits in front of it. The standard keyboard is now blu-tacked to the top of the SY99, where it lets me use the numerous keyboard short-cuts without having to turn sideways. All you do is connect the Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) from the Mac, through the first keyboard, then through the second and on to the mouse.

I now have the best of both keyboards: big for typing, and small for music. I got the keyboard second-hand from the knowledgeable and helpful people at ExMicro in Nottingham, who have always proved to be life-savers. Contact them on 0115 945 5077.

HOW IT WORKS: THE APPLE DESKTOP BUS (ADB)

This month's tip made me think that this might be a good time to briefly examine how you connect mice and keyboards to a Mac. The Apple Desktop Bus (ADB in Apple-speak) is apparently due to be replaced with a new and much cleverer bus in a future series of the Power Macintoshes, but until this happens, the ADB remains a neat and very useful way of connecting peripherals. The obvious ones are the keyboard and the mouse, of course, but there are others.

The ADB is a simple local-area network, optimised for low-speed input-only devices. It has a power feed and a serial bus which connect to the Mac via a 4-pin mini-DIN plug and socket. It was introduced in the Mac SE some years ago -- previous Macs (Mac, 512, XL and Plus) used a different system, with separate keyboard and mouse sockets. The ADB can support up to 16 different peripherals -- like extra keypads, graphics tablets, tracker balls and even certain touch-screens.

Some Macs have two ADB sockets, whilst some only have one. In either case, you can connect devices in any order, as the 16 available 'addresses' are used in a way that is very similar to the channels in MIDI -- the mouse is normally on address 3, for example. The address tells the Mac which device is sending the information, which is how the 'two keyboard' tip works -- both keyboards send messages with addresses which indicate they are from a keyboard, and the Mac does not mind that they are from two different keyboards. In fact, you can have more than one mouse as well. I have two mice connected to mine, and I suspect that they are both on the same address!

Because the ADB is a serial bus, you connect the devices together in a chain, starting at the Mac's ADB socket and working outwards, and usually ending in a mouse. Macs with two ADB sockets make it easy to connect up the keyboard and mouse separately, whilst with only one socket they both end up on the same chain -- you just add them in. Note, however, that Apple recommend a maximum of three daisy-chained ADB devices per ADB socket.

Most Macs can supply up to 500 milliamps (mA) from the ADB sockets (although see below for PowerBooks). A typical mouse takes 80mA, whilst a keyboard takes about 25mA. Some miniature disk drives even take their power from the ADB bus.

ADB HINTS
• Don't connect or disconnect ADB devices when your Mac is powered up. This can cause all sorts of problems (I have seen Macs reboot, which can cause lost data!) as the bus can get very confused. Unplugging anything that is powered up is a bad idea, whatever it may be, so always shut down the Mac before changing your ADB.

• Don't overload the ADB on PowerBooks. Each device uses up some power, and whilst most Macs can cope with this easily, PowerBooks can only supply a much more limited amount of current: 50mA. In fact, they require special devices -- which are indicated by a mysterious 'circle with a flat bit' symbol, which meant nothing to me until I was told that it meant low power. You will also drain your batteries faster with extra ADB devices.

APPLE NEWS IN BRIEF

• APPLE EXPO '94
The only place for a Mac user to be in mid-October is Olympia's Grand Hall. This year's event runs from the 12th to the 15th of October, and features over 250 leading suppliers. There is a Mac Applications Area, where you can try out (almost certainly non-music) software under the guidance of experts, and there should be plenty of Power Macintoshes to try. I have picked up quite a few amazing bargains over the years, especially at the smaller stands. You might even see me -- say hello if you do! Phone 0181 984 7711 for free tickets [trade only though, there's the catch -- Ed].

• ON THE NET
Mac Developers on AppleLink have been busy trying to explore the MIDI possibilities of QuickTime 2.0. It appears that the Music Configuration Control Panel will be available shortly, and it is this that lets you route the output of the MIDI/music 'movies' to the software synth using the Roland samples, or to the MIDI port. This explains why I couldn't get it to work!

• VISION NEWS
By the time you read this, Studio Vision Pro should have reached version 2.1, which adds in support for Session 8. At the risk of sounding like Sesame Street, Session 8 is now supported by sequencers from manufacturers whose names begin with E, M, O and S. Can you work out who? Contact MCM for more details on Opcode Software on 0171 258 3454.

• HARDWARE ON WALL STREET
After a bit of panic when the Power Mac first came out, Wall Street seems to have recovered its faith in Macs. Apple have now sold more than 345,000 Power Macs, including upgrades to Quadras, and have made a profit of just under 60 million dollars for the quarter year ending in July 1994.

• CLONES
The rumours just won't go away. Apple is about to license the Mac Operating System to third party computer manufacturers. Names rumoured to be involved include IBM, Motorola, Olivetti, Vobis, Fujitsu and Toshiba. Dell and several Taiwanese companies which have been mentioned in previous rumours are not included this time. Cynics might speculate that any licensing is too late, given the huge success of Microsoft's Windows on the PC.

• DIGIDESIGN: DOING OK, THANK YOU
If anyone doubted that digital audio was here, then Digidesign Inc's financial reports for the first quarter of 1994 make interesting reading. They generated net sales of 8.7 million dollars, and now have an installed user base of over 32,500 systems, which is quite a lot of Pro Tools and Audiomedia users (and even some PC users!). Contact Digidesign on 0181 875 9977.

• OSC ON DECK (AGAIN)
OSC have released Trans*Port, which, despite its name, is a piece of conversion software which works with Deck 2 and Pro Tools using the Open Media Framework (or OMF). The OMF was developed by Avid Technology as a standard way to exchange digital audio, video, graphics and other multimedia information.

Deck 2.2 has also been announced by OSC, and now adds Sound Manager 3 support, which enables it to work with a wide variety of new and old Macs. It also has a new 'plug-in' architecture, which enables the easy addition of functionality. The idea of 'plug-in' software modules has spread from graphics software, and promises to see great activity in the next

System Requirements
Macintosh
68030-based Macintosh (or faster) with at least 16 MB RAM (24 MB for PowerPC). System 7.01 to 9.x. Power Macintosh and 64 MB RAM recommended. Power Macintosh required for FreeStyle 2.31. The 2.31 Installer CD will install FreeStyle 2.11 for 68K Macs (same feature set).

System Requirements
Windows
Pentium-based PC (or faster) with at least 16 MB RAM. 64 MB RAM recommended. Requires Windows 95/98/Me/2K/NT4+. Does not run under Windows 3.1 or Windows XP.

there are a number of other articles: (seen here: http://www.soundonsound.com/search?Keyword=motu+freestyle)
dating from :
1-oct 1994  (mac) (pasted above)
2-jan 1995 (mac) http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/jan95/motufreestyle.html
3-jan 1996 (pc version Windows 3.1 or Windows 95) http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_articles/jan96/motufreestyle.html
4-jun 1997 (mac) http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jun97/softfocusjun97.html
5-may 1998 (mac?) http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may98/articles/MOTUFreestyle.html

the 5th 1998 article is in reference to this v2 version.. but i think the cd is actually just the v2.3 update to the v2.01 installer and to make use of it we require the v2.01 installer aswell!!!!!!

****if you are downloading the files above linked from mediafire be sure not to do a right click save as or u will end up saving html file code instead of the actual file
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:03:38 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »
http://www.digitalprosound.com/Htm/Articles/2000/Dec/Motu.htm
apparently this was released around december of 2000 (13 years ago! wow!)

http://www.motu.com/download/download_matching_downloads.html?platform_id=1&product_id=8

this page has some downloads directly from motu

FreeStyle for Mac PPC Demo

Requires Stuffit Expander 5.12 (or later) to expand. Use this demo install only if you have a Power PC Mac. Demo versions cannot save files and restricts print capabilities.

Double-click installer and follow on-screen instructions. Refer to QuickStart Guide for help setting up and operating FreeStyle.

this freestyle 2.31 demo, official download from motu, of course.. WORKS.. (now im wondering if the 400mb toast image posted above by mr magoo is just a homemade cd containing this installer? but why the larger file size?)

offtopic, but there is also a windows demo: http://www.motu.com/download/download_matching_downloads.html?platform_id=5&product_id=8 which is for windows 98/ME/2K

the freemidi posted by mr magoo above is v1.48 and also in .toast format.. (ugh) skip that and grab it here direct from motu: http://www.motu.com/download/download_matching_downloads.html?platform_id=1&product_id=11

actually to be more specific its the "usb" version of freemidi v1.48 when u run it says its for the Midi Timepiece AV, the Midi Express XT, and the MicroExpress
theres also a second install option to select if you use a usb version of the Fastlane, MicroLite or Express 128... these 3 dont use clockworks and clockworks is skipped if u pick this option.

id like to get this working and clean up the packaging into 1 file.. for ease of use.. this is ridiculously complicated for no reason;)
u guys need to learn how to package everything needed into *ONE FOLDER* and package that folder into a sit (or even better a disk copy disk image .img which mounts on any mac os regardless of stuffit being installed) no need for these multiple files / complicated install processes

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:34:59 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »
ok i got it to start up.. after installing freemidi..
but of course its only the demo..as the version posted by macguy had no executable
macguy, maybe u can respond?

the installer file on the cd is dated august 28th 2000
the installer file on the demo download is dated october 19th 2000

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:12:34 PM by chrisNova777 »