Author Topic: Is this a video card or CPU problem?  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Is this a video card or CPU problem?
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:04:40 AM »
I've successfully synced Logic and Pro Tools without a problem. Everything plays back smoothly as long as I don't have a million things going on. But something I noticed is that at a certain point, the refresh rate of the graphics slows down. Everything sounds OK and is playing back fine like I said, but the graphics seem a bit off.

The timecode on the transport and the digital meters in the mixer now appear to be going in slow motion sort of. I'm on a 1.25 MDD with 1GB RAM and a GeForce Ti card. I wouldn't think the video card to be the problem, it may be that a 1.25ghz CPU just isn't enough to handle both programs at once (but remember, it's the graphics that slow down).

I've read to not use a dual CPU machine, but Logic 6.4.3 has multi processor support built in so maybe that'll help with the load I'm putting on the machine.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Is this a video card or CPU problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Actually, I think the problem is SoundDiver. That's funny because it takes up very little system resources. I get that slow motion effect when it's open and it immediately goes away when I close it.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »
I have the same slow redraw on screen with the beta drivers direct connect 128 with my ghz dual with rage 128 and 1 gig ramram on pt5Le with logic 5.
The redraw is someway better withgeforce2, but not too much away.
At least the sound do not stutter. The same goes with protools on play when you go menus. The redraw stops but the sound not!
That is well coded software
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
I opened the OMS Setup editor alongside Pro Tools and PT started giving me the same slow redraw. Maybe this has something to do with OMS and not the software that's utilizing it?

Maybe not though, I can get Logic and Cubase to play safely together with no redraw issues and both of those programs use OMS.

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:05 AM »
it sounds like its a software related problem, ie: the computer is stupidly trying something over and over and getting stuck in a loop somehow..
not the computers fault, but rather a problem with the software programming + current configuration

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »
If anyone else has a system with PT5 and Sounddiver I'd appreciate someone testing this. The screen slows way down for some reason, but only in Pro Tools.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »
Actually, OMS does the same thing too. If anyone has a PT rig, try opening OMS and see if it gives you a slowdown.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 07:18:05 PM »
The problem isn't just Pro Tools. Any time I have OMS or Sounddiver open, Logic also slows down by a mile. So anyone who has OMS on their OS9 system, you can probably open it and you'll notice that basically EVERYTHING slows down when using it.

OMS and Sounddiver don't use a lot of system resources so I'm wondering why this is happening. I opened like 15 programs at once and Logic and PT were smooth so it's not a ram issue.

Can anyone else test with OMS open and see if you also get a slowdown in meters, timing readouts etc? It'll probably do the same thing in Cubase.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 02:11:32 AM »
Can anyone else test with OMS open and see if you also get a slowdown in meters, timing readouts etc? It'll probably do the same thing in Cubase.

Yes, when I open OMS Setup, Cubase slow down screen redraws too.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 02:53:37 AM »
You're on a Ti4600 video card right? I am too. I wonder if it does the same on other cards?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 03:58:27 AM »
You're on a Ti4600 video card right? I am too. I wonder if it does the same on other cards?
Yes, I have a Ti4600. But the same happens with a 9000 PRO. I have tested it right now...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 04:19:11 AM »
Any idea what's causing it? I'm guessing there isn't a fix for it =/

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
Any idea what's causing it? I'm guessing there isn't a fix for it =/
If it is not broke, don't fix it!  ;) :D
You can always stop play, wait for redraw, open the plug, wait for redraw, adjust plug-in, and press "play".
I guess the "redraws" are the price to pay for having such a good sound rig with optimized software for MacOS9.
The Protools Free Win version has not screen redraws, but has no sound.  ;D ;D It never worked for me and make me really impressed when I listen for the first time the "Be There" Demo from protools on a G4 400 with a 001 14 years ago...

Screen Redraws? Who matters? It works .
It is not responsive? Maybe you can try give different values of RAM for protools  and DAE, dunno. It works stock. Y.M.M.V.

Do the redraws brakes your workflow? Maybe if it brakes you, you can go to the dark side (OSX) and have a ride there.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »
The entire system slows down as far as redraws. I can open OMS or Sounddiver alone, and anything else that's open at the same time has a very slow screen. I'm guessing that these programs haven't been coded with graphics in mind or something.

Everything 'works', it's just a major annoyance.