Author Topic: .mp4 video file to audio file  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Dane D.

• Enthusiast Member
.mp4 video file to audio file
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »
I have not tried this in OS 9 or even knows if it is possible, but I have been taking my .mp4 video files and stripping out the audio to a AIFF file. I normally download 720p or 1080p video files so that the audio portion is good to convert to AIFF. Since my mode of transportation does not support mp3 format, I am stuck with Audio CDs.

One of my favorite rock films, Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii - Directors Cut - Full Length_ .mp4, I converted to a AIFF file to split into 2 CDs.

The .mp4 file is 1.4GB. It sits on my Western Digital My Passport external HD USB3/2. While in OS 10.4.6, I can run Audacity 2.0.5, which allows me to import .mp4 files. To export a AIFF file back to the same HD, it took 5:38 min/sec. Since I don't have a G4 setup with the same Audacity software, is this O.K. or is it slowwww.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: .mp4 video file to audio file
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »
I guess you should to this reading the mp4 from an internal drive and exporting to another internal drive.

Making it from/to an USB 1 device has no sense. You pass the USB1 bottleneck twice. Are you using a pci-usb nec chipset card?

Some > 500 gigabytes hard drives are 5.400 rpm, so making it from/to 7200 rpm drive (or SSD if you can afford) should be a catalyzer.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4